MPG: Ranger vs F150

D

Deleted member 9101

How do you Americans get such high fuel economy in the F150? Especially considering your tiny gallons and especially extra especially considering your 70-90 mph highways??? Do you all have 3.31 gearing?

If I run a couple hundred kms at 100 kph so let's say 125 miles at 60 mph, I'll be excited to see 20 miles per US gallon.

For me it's easy...I don't run heavy, knobby tires, and I keep my speed between 65 and 70mph. I don't have "Expo swagg" hanging off my truck and there is no roof rack.

Although, I can cruise at 75-89mph and squeeze out 19-20mpg ;-)

jbaucom

How do you Americans get such high fuel economy in the F150? Especially considering your tiny gallons and especially extra especially considering your 70-90 mph highways??? Do you all have 3.31 gearing?

If I run a couple hundred kms at 100 kph so let's say 125 miles at 60 mph, I'll be excited to see 20 miles per US gallon.

I do have 3.31 gearing with the 10 speed transmission. No lift, no level, 32" load range C Goodyear All Terrain Adventure tires, winch, no air dam, and usually a hard tri-fold tonneau. There's always 300-400 lbs of extra weight on the truck. On longer trips I usually average 19-20 mpg on a tank (usually refuel around 1/4 tank, so every 500 miles or so), even if we're loaded down for a week of camping. Larger tires and lift really hit the mileage, which is one reason I may keep stock height suspension and tires.

85_Ranger4x4

I canned my stock 3.31's for 3.73's.

When I went from the stock 235/70-16 donuts to 265/75-16 tires (factory optional size) the 4sps trans hunted like Elmer Fudd in hills empty. 3.73's made a truck out of it. If the truck had 265's from the factory it would have also had 3.73's so that makes sense.

Stock tires were cheap but dang it looked like a hippo on a roller skate...

Mine is kinda cleanish. It does have a brush guard with lights and GM tow mirrors though. Usually run a fairly aggressive 6 ply AT (Falken Wildpeak AT's at the moment) although even with MT's (255/75-17 BFG MT's for a Rubicon) it was for all intents and purposes the same mileage.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My advice is "don't buy a mid-size truck for the fuel economy." New full-size trucks get ridiculously good fuel economy for what they are, and make many other similarly capable AWD/4WD vehicles seem to get relatively mediocre mileage in comparison. My 2019 F150 V8 4x4 has 395 hp and gets 20+ mpg on the interstate (last trip was ~220 miles RT with ATV in the bed, 20.3 mpg, 19.9 mpg on a 600 mi tank), while my wife's Subaru Ascent hasn't topped 25 mpg, and usually gets under 21 mpg in local driving. Buying a mid-size because its size or price meets your needs better is really the only benefit I see versus a full-size truck.
This ^^^^^^^^
The modern full sized rigs especially with the 10spd are in many cases better average mileage than the mid sized stuff. I waited on the Ascent as a replacement for my Sequoia and Outback 2 for 1 swap. I bought a 2019 Expedition HD platinum instead!! Daily around town use I beat my brother and two neighbors Ascents consistently by 1mpg. Road trips no trailer I match their 21-23mpg typical average. Thats with 400hp and 9300lb tow rating and 2spd transfer case 4x4 high/low and a Elocker rear end. The 2.7L F150 several friends have them and love it..

Buy mid sized for purchase cost savings and size not for mileage and hauling ability?.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I do have 3.31 gearing with the 10 speed transmission. No lift, no level, 32" load range C Goodyear All Terrain Adventure tires, winch, no air dam, and usually a hard tri-fold tonneau. There's always 300-400 lbs of extra weight on the truck. On longer trips I usually average 19-20 mpg on a tank (usually refuel around 1/4 tank, so every 500 miles or so), even if we're loaded down for a week of camping. Larger tires and lift really hit the mileage, which is one reason I may keep stock height suspension and tires.

I have the F150 station wagon err Expedition. 2019 Platinum 10spd, with the HD kit 3.73 rear end. 3.5L 400hp 100% factory tune and 22 wheels etc. Road trips no trailer 65ish mph 23-24mpg trip average is possible. 70-75mph 20-22mpg average is typical. 75-80mph 19-20mpg is typical trip average. The poor mileage kid hauling around town is typically 16-18mpg winter its 16mpg summer its pretty constant 18mpg averages.
My Toyota Sequoia was 12-14mpg town use and 15-16mpg road trip average.

The Ford full sized F150/Expedition fuel consumption is really impressive. The 2.7L F150 is even more impressive friends regularly see 26-27mpg road trips. The hybrid will truly be interesting to see how it does.

My 4x6 open trailer with camping gear and 4 bikes was a 21-22mpg average during our family trip last summer. The same exact setup behind my Subaru Outback for the past 9 years was a 18-20mpg average ?

deserteagle56

Adventurer

My F150 came with 3.55 gears.

Aerodynamics is a huge factor. The manufacturers spend a lot of money designing these truck to be as fuel efficient as possible. So when you change it from stock - lift/levels, larger/heavier tires, removing air dams - anything that disturbs the aerodynamics from stock will cost you mileage.

Jupiter58

What motor/gears do you have?
I do run around in eco mode most of the time to get my 24-25 average on my commute. But it’s not like it is slow. I just put my down a little more than I would in normal mode if I want to be quick.
I see people posting that fuelly shows 16 mpg for the 3.5. That is crazy. I would have to be towing something very substantial in the mountains or very fast to get down that low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

Really? Doing 105 / 110 kp/h with a 5.0, 3:73's and a 6 speed with 275/70/18 Duratracs I can get that. Usually it's about 22....

TavisB

A lot has to do with how heavy a foot you have. I get 13mpg commuting in my F150. I had it at the dealership a while ago and they gave me a new focus as a loaner. I figured I'd get much better milage out of that little car. Nope. 15mpg. Lots of hills and I don't drive like a geezer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Grassland

I have a 2014 SCAB with 3.73 and 34x10.5R17.
When I had 235/80R17 it wasn't really any different.
In Manitoba they will gladly crucify you if you get caught driving 85 MPH.
I generally drive 110 kph on the highway so that's like 68 MPH?
Waaaaaaay back when I had the soft 235/75R17 P rated garbage truck was still in fleet and it was like 14.5 MPG US in town in summer. Didn't really drive on the highway. Those tires were like 30" tall.
I'm on fuelly and I think my top ten runs five of them have been in the hills in BC and only a couple have been in flat MB.
I guess maybe the fact you have to come to a complete stop every few KMs on the highways around Winnipeg and Southern MB must be what kills the economy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210325-130023.jpg
    Screenshot_20210325-130023.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 18

rruff

Explorer
I'm on fuelly and I think my top ten runs five of them have been in the hills in BC and only a couple have been in flat MB.
I guess maybe the fact you have to come to a complete stop every few KMs on the highways around Winnipeg and Southern MB must be what kills the economy.

Even with the same fuel, cold temperatures will decrease your MPG. Air density is higher and so is rolling resistance (stiffer rubber).

Jupiter58

I live in South Florida. I can set my cruise at 82 and not be bothered. Many times the traffic is flowing at 90+ on the turn pike between Orlando and west palm. Crazy! On the Harley I set the cruise at 85 normally. I make it to Daytona which is 180 miles north in 2 hours regularly on the bike. Flat straight and nothing to see!

D

Deleted member 9101

I live in South Florida. I can set my cruise at 82 and not be bothered. Many times the traffic is flowing at 90+ on the turn pike between Orlando and west palm. Crazy! On the Harley I set the cruise at 85 normally. I make it to Daytona which is 180 miles north in 2 hours regularly on the bike. Flat straight and nothing to see!

If you are not running 80+ on the Turnpike you might not live to see your destination...haha.

D

Deleted member 9101

Aerodynamics is a huge factor. The manufacturers spend a lot of money designing these truck to be as fuel efficient as possible. So when you change it from stock - lift/levels, larger/heavier tires, removing air dams - anything that disturbs the aerodynamics from stock will cost you mileage.

? this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles