Cook Partner stove FAQ / Master thread

cloudpunch

Anyone have any suggestions on good way to modify the windscreen supports on a Cook Partner stove? Those squiggly wires are prone to catching on things (like jackets & sleeves) and a decent breeze will blow the windscreen right off them. I want to swap them out for something more like the bent wire Coleman uses but am not sure what the best way to mount them would be.
Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 10.31.31 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-03-21 at 10.36.50 AM.jpg

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
^ that reminds me I was going to wrap mine (squigglies) with a single layer of gaffing tape for some friction, I bet just that will stop the windscreens from moving unwanted. Also was going to break out the engraver and have some fun with the aluminum - including a reminder not to King-Kong-crank the valves closed, which generally happens when I set it up in camp and a bunch of people are using it

When ours isn't camping it's always ready to be deployed as an outside kitchen at home - for stinky or especially smoky searing and cooking

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Anyone have any suggestions on good way to modify the windscreen supports on a Cook Partner stove? Those squiggly wires are prone to catching on things (like jackets & sleeves) and a decent breeze will blow the windscreen right off them. I want to swap them out for something more like the bent wire Coleman uses but am not sure what the best way to mount them would be.

This is how I solved my hate issue with the windscreen supports that come with PS stoves. It takes 30-seconds longer to set-up/take down but they're solid, unaffected by any amount and direction of wind and nothing to catch clothing, etc., on.

kk7ds

I know this is old now, but wanted to show a picture of how I "solved" the stupid problem with the windscreen retainers:
2021-09-24 08.46.39.jpg2021-09-24 08.46.20.jpg

Basically, just a piece of vaccum line split in one spot so it can be slipped over the retainer and have it exit out one side. The line stays on the squiggly bit while in the stove, and when I pull out the windscreen, I slip it over and then bend the vacuum line back over to hold it in place. Super simple, but works very well. Looks dumb, but I blame PS.

Roger M.

Adventurer
I normally use a couple of small Bulldog paperclips on my wind shield arms. If it's really windy, I'll use one on each side of each wing ... for a total of four.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
^ that's nice work there!

Still loving ours, it does the most duty as outdoor kitchen at home lately I'm afraid:

IMG_2796.jpg
I'm not thrilled anymore with my piezo mod - probably due to my precision in craftsmanship, the burners spark but don't always reliably ignite, and the wires get in the way of cleaning it up nice and shiny inside

The backup long reach butane lighters I had don't like the cold and still sometimes you're just standing there going click click click click click

The best 'mod' I've made so far - that made in USA "Shoot-A-Lite" in the foreground d that I got at the welding supply - one pull of the trigger and stuff gets L-I-T, end of story!

Old Tanker

...The backup long reach butane lighters I had don't like the cold and still sometimes you're just standing there going click click click click click

I picked up an arc lighter from Tembo Tusk. The odd thing is that my Scottle doesn't need it, but I use it all the time on the Cook Partner. One USB charge lasts for hundred of lights - maybe too long, because I take it for granted that it is going to work, and one day I'll need to charge it again.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
That looks like an improvement too -

the Shoot-A-Lite is old fashioned flint and steel so eventually you need to replace a flint. I think Partner should um, partner with them - somehow they match, all bombproof metal construction to last. And you light your stove with a gun.

omalley

If you put a Partner stove with windscreen running at max with an appropriate sized griddle on top (worst case for heating up) on a plastic table or a dry wooden picnic table, would there be concern about the bottom surface getting hot?

alia176

Explorer
You can buy 6 and ten packs of welder sparkers for about $2 per. And they will last longer than you will. Bought my last package 10 years ago.

I'm a huge fan of these things, got one in each rig. The Funkmeister from Austria!! They're all over eBay but the fun is trying to find one in a good price and in decent shape.

1662494803984.png

Awkragt

Adventurer
So I've been using the 20"x12" Chef King/Rocky Mountain griddle on the 22" and I feel like the burners on the stove are too far apart. Like the hot spots are practically on the edge of the pan. You kind of end up with a raging hot spot then cool areas. The stove is barely on when using the griddle otherwise the 'seasoning' gets kind of burned (along with the food).

Is the Partner Steel Anodized aluminum griddle better? More non-stick & more even heat? For $180 it should be amazing but I've hardly seen any reviews?

2022-06-25 09.54.43.jpg

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
So I've been using the 20"x12" Chef King/Rocky Mountain griddle on the 22" and I feel like the burners on the stove are too far apart. Like the hot spots are practically on the edge of the pan. You kind of end up with a raging hot spot then cool areas. The stove is barely on when using the griddle otherwise the 'seasoning' gets kind of burned (along with the food).

Is the Partner Steel Anodized aluminum griddle better? More non-stick & more even heat? For $180 it should be amazing but I've hardly seen any reviews?

View attachment 763447

I don't own a PS griddle but I've used them on the river. They work great for what they are. They are anodized so you have to be a little careful with metal utensils. That main advantage is that they are light and are designed for the Partner stoves as they don't overlap the edges and create too much heat for the burner knobs/valves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior