Dynatrac Free-Spin kits (getting rid of unit bearings)

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Ive been thinking about the dyna trac free spin kit for my 97 cummins..

Well worth it?

Absolutely, to me.

99% of the time I don't need all those front-end components spinning round. I tend to keep my vehicles for many years so I know I'll never have to mess with the front drivetrain. Plus, as I mentioned there is a slight but noticeable difference in how smoothly the truck drives.

I just had to have the front driveshaft rebuilt in my Wrangler, at only 47000 miles because the CV joint was beginning to squeak. If I'd had hubs on it I'd never have had a problem because even with it being a Jeep, most of the miles I put on it I don't require 4wd. My next Jeep WILL have hubs!

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Looks like we are off and running.

After putting about 75 miles on the new hardware, things were inspected and wheel lugs retorqued (new studs).
Then the camper went on, and I just finished another long weekend on the property (new home build).

I've put 400+ miles on the truck since the conversion now. Hubs are running cool, smooth and silent.

And since things are thawed, and its a freshly cut road, the 4wd was tested out.
Damn driveway is turning into a bog :oops:

51060811072_3069a57103_b.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Well, at a touch more than 5,000 miles since the upgrade, nothing but good to report.
Hubs are still running cool, smooth and silent. (y)

I check them by touch regularly, after a long run.
A couple weeks ago I was noticing an occasional warm hub on the passenger side.
Turns out it was nothing more than a stuck brake pad.
Fresh pads, all slides/guides cleaned and lubed, and good to go.

Long runs even running over GVWR as we do, they dont even get warm. :cool:

51496907067_5a68254b74_b.jpg

51498413834_82c1090e2f_b.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
One of the first things I noticed after installing the kit on my Dodge.......
I have Dynatracs and can't tell the difference when I engage them in 2H for a 20 mile drive. Steers the same,no vibes either way and no appreciable mpg gain. Totally different deal with my '86 F-250 and my '85 Toyota mini truck. Lighter steering especially.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne