Ryan's 07 Duramax LBZ build

fl0w3n

Observer
Thanks!
My plan is to keep things simple, address the weak areas and upgrade where I can.

Right on! I love em too. I spotted one for sale in a parking lot here in town last week and found myself pulling over to it to check it out. It was in rough shape, but for a second I was thinking to myself "spare parts truck?". Hah!

Truthfully, if I ever came across one of the (LSSV) Light Service Support Vehicle Duramax's with EMP package they used for Military/Forest Service/Border Patrol...I'd be super tempted to jump on it. Always wanted one of the regular cabs or ext cabs in green or tan.
Those LSSV’s are sweet, I’ve always wondered what was actually done to them to beef up the suspension. I think their description leads to higher expectations than what it actually has.

RyanPartridge

Those LSSV’s are sweet, I’ve always wondered what was actually done to them to beef up the suspension. I think their description leads to higher expectations than what it actually has.

I believe they had Light Racing hydraulic jouncers along with some other goodies like 16" Hutchinson beadlocks, a really nice skidplate and bumpers I've been hunting for, shields that protect the brake lines, 24v system, etc...

A while back I saved this article which is kinda neat. It doesn't show the actual EMP outfitted truck, but it does show the exact jounce shocks and skid plates they used.

Attachments

• EMP Article.pdf
    910.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

RyanPartridge

While we’re on the topic...here's a few photos of em...

I always found it interesting that they seem to have a couple different front bumpers, one had the Chevy bowtie and they had different fitments. I talked to a fella that has one in Kansas that he purchased from an auction in Colorado I believe. He sold the Hutchinson wheels, said they were a pain to balance and weren't rated for high speed highway use.

I've never seen photos of the interior but read that they came with mounts for rifles...

21426133.jpg
2005-chevy-silverado-troop-carrier.jpgScreen Shot 2021-03-01 at 8.53.11 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-01 at 8.52.44 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-01 at 8.54.16 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-01 at 8.53.56 AM.png

Last edited:

RyanPartridge

Nice little overnighter somewhere off a fire service road somewhere...

Temps in the low 30’s
Fire roasted Nathan’s hotdogs
S’mores
Hot toddy’s

82b2a5d1d55ebe12bc1cf8a12ccecd8d.jpg

f23fd898b05052de1fa9b0a77685c050.jpg

RyanPartridge

New Kryptonite lifetime warranty wheel bearings arrived.
I’ve replaced mine once before, figured this time I’d splurge for the best option and gain some peace of mind for the foreseeable future.

df1656d788a7d0edd278922a62b750d3.jpg

fl0w3n

Observer
Man that last LSSV looks good. I go back and forth between do I want a drop down lift again or not, and I usually settle on no but that one just looks right haha.

good call on the kryptonite hubs. It’ll be fun to live through you for a little while I continue to slowly gather parts for my LB7 haha
Have you checked out dmaxstore cv axle options? They have some HD and HD extended options with their warranty. I’ll probably be looking at adding those in the future

RyanPartridge

Man that last LSSV looks good. I go back and forth between do I want a drop down lift again or not, and I usually settle on no but that one just looks right haha.

good call on the kryptonite hubs. It’ll be fun to live through you for a little while I continue to slowly gather parts for my LB7 haha
Have you checked out dmaxstore cv axle options? They have some HD and HD extended options with their warranty. I’ll probably be looking at adding those in the future

Yeah those LSSV/EMP package trucks are great. I'd love to find one of their skid plates and bumper(just because it's neat but an aluminum Buckstop would be ideal).
I haven't checked out their axles yet, beefed up better than OEM? Mine are still original and as far as I know...good to go.

My truck is currently out of my hands at the moment, which is rare and nerve-racking. My wife and I had a trip planned for this week and I'd been wanting to get the new water pump, thermostats and pinion seal installed. I watched a bunch of videos on that water pump install and started to debate tackling it myself and how long it would take a first timer. Long story short, while we're currently away my truck is at Copperhead Diesel Performance getting the install. So far they've been great, they text you updates and send photos and video of progress and anything they find. Quite the modern operation.

RyanPartridge

My truck is back on the road and a happy camper with some great upgrades that should extend its life and capabilities.
Yesterday I freshened'er up with an oil change and air filter...

Figured it's a good time to do a breakdown of the upgrades its received recently and over the years...as well as future plans...

Power/Drivetrain:
Kennedy Diesel custom tune for economy/hauling/towing(ECM adjusted for tire size & fuel capacity)
Merchant Automotive transfer case pump rub kit
Merchant Automotive trans support brace
Allison deep pan with Suncoast filter lock
52 gallon Aero fuel tank
Fumoto valve for oil changes
New trans cooler hoses
New water pump
New thermostats
New pinion seal
New air filter

Steering/Suspension:
Bilstein 5100 shocks (soon to be replaced)
Kryptonite wheel bearings
Kryptonite tie rods
Kryptonite "tall" jouncer/bump stops
Moog XD pitman & idler arms
Bilstein 5100 steering stabilizer
New power steering hoses

Exterior:
ARE topper
Line-X bed spray
Method 701HD wheels (4,500 lb load rating)
Cooper AT3 XLT 285/75R18 (34.8" x 11.5") 4,080 lb load rating
Curt XD hitch receiver
B&W tow n' stow hitch

Interior:
Edge CTS3 monitor for gauges
Electric brake controller
DU-HA under seat storage
Weather Tech floor mats
Aux port for playing ipod through speakers
Disconnected annoying seat belt alarm

Future plans...
Marathon seat covers (order placed)
New steering box
Idler support and frame gusset
New shocks
Rear suspension upgrades to accommodate future hard-side camper
Figure out a way to store/mount a full size spare

IMG_6690.JPGIMG_6692.JPG

nickw

Adventurer
Bar none, top (5) coolest truck on this website....10x cooler than all the Tacoma's and cruisers, IMO. Love the thought of a low key domestic rig like this with tasteful strategic upgrades....all the known issues are well sorted after 15 years and these simple 'upgrades' are the way to go IMO. Trucks like this get minimal love but in hindsight, the easy parts availability, reasonable buy in cost, excellent reliability and great payload/towing capacity make them every bit as legitimate as any Landcruiser out there....

RyanPartridge

What a great lookin truck (may be a little bias though). :cool:(y) Keep the fun updates coming.

Thanks, will do!

Bar none, top (5) coolest truck on this website....10x cooler than all the Tacoma's and cruisers, IMO. Love the thought of a low key domestic rig like this with tasteful strategic upgrades....all the known issues are well sorted after 15 years and these simple 'upgrades' are the way to go IMO. Trucks like this get minimal love but in hindsight, the easy parts availability, reasonable buy in cost, excellent reliability and great payload/towing capacity make them every bit as legitimate as any Landcruiser out there....

Wow, I appreciate the compliment!
Everyone has their personal tastes and for a lot of folks it's a Toyota, I totally get it.
But I too dig a low key domestic rig with subtle improvements to enhance its abilities.

Also...no way this truck is near the top five coolest. @locrwln and @NVWill have dream rigs when it comes to this category...at least in my mind.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Great job on a great truck. We always remark about how many of our era of GM trucks are still around. They might not be the “hotness” in overlanding; but everyone else seems to get it. I keep my eyes out for a low mileage grandpa truck. ?

Thanks for the compliment.

Jack

RyanPartridge

Great job on a great truck. We always remark about how many of our era of GM trucks are still around. They might not be the “hotness” in overlanding; but everyone else seems to get it. I keep my eyes out for a low mileage grandpa truck.

Thanks for the compliment.

Jack

Thanks Jack!

Yeah I can’t help but notice how often I see these trucks still working and being used hard out here(Central AZ mountains).
I’d say half I see are modified, half appear to be stock configurations, but they’re typically always yankin’ a 5’er or travel trailer or hauling a dump trailer.

On occasion I get the guy walk up and ask “LBZ?”
I say “Yes sir”.
They reply, “Best truck I ever had, should’ve never sold it.”

This has happened countless times over the years. As recent as a month ago.

RyanPartridge

New rear shocks went on today...swapped the old 5100’s for some 4600’s. Ride definitely feels improved.

Unfortunately, there’s no 5100’s for the front available anywhere. Seems there’s a huge back order. I figured maybe I’d just upgrade to the 5160 reservoir shocks but those too are backordered everywhere.
So I’m currently in limbo waiting for new front shocks...

b18077ce16a1ac857263aacfd03121ab.jpg

0edb49bdb2c7d2b5c99d644f76ee94d5.jpg

I also decided to dump some useless weight, which turned out to be 100 pounds.
The factory 245/16 spare is of no use to me at this point, same with the oem jack since I carry a much better bottle jack.
Still need to purchase a full size spare tire/wheel.
In the mean time I carry an ARB plug kit and VIAIR compressor. And AAA...

9f57be6e39a202fb94551a24b5401251.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles