98 Isuzu Amigo - The Darcy Build

onemanarmy

Explorer
Whoever designed the stock rear panhard should be fired. Boogery welds. Unnecessary holes. Silly bushing design. With an arsenal of rod ends, heim joints, and misalignment spacers I still couldn't get it quite right. 21mm stud on the axle, 12/13mm bolt on the frame mount. 50mm width on one end, 55mm on the other. I understand why. But why!? I'm just going to have someone with more resources and knowledge fab one up.

In other news...I made new flappy wheel well things. Driverside was ripped. Passenger side was stretchy.
View attachment 646152View attachment 646153View attachment 646347

Nice! What material is that?

gknapp

Utility Mat

Picked it up at the local Tractor Supply. I've used it for other projects in the past. Very durable, inexpensive. Initially smells like tires, but that goes away in time.

gknapp

Wheels have been ordered. I am going to keep details under wraps until they arrive. I am 99% sure my math is correct. But just incase it isn't...I am going to wait until they arrive before I recommend them as an option.

gknapp

Slowly getting there. Still figuring out how to lock it in place.
20210311_120957.jpg20210311_143302.jpg20210312_153357.jpg

Replacing the rack and pinion this weekend. Seat covers arriving on Monday.

gknapp

The steering rack was a royal pita. I don't ever want to do that again.

Seat covers came! The rear bench is going to be a trick. Fronts are in.
20210315_170627.jpg

gknapp

Just slip over the top. Nicely fitted. If you are looking for seat covers, Wet Okole is the way to go.

utherjorge

Observer
If you are looking for seat covers, Wet Okole is the way to go.
In fact, I will be! But I need to have a local guy put foam in. I'll have a cool update shortly to add to my thread, but I think that I'm going with a mechanical locker instead of the ARB. I don't mind a compressor...aside from all the work to do it. I'm already pinched for space under the hood and might have to do a snorkel to make space.

gknapp

I don't mind a compressor...aside from all the work to do it. I'm already pinched for space under the hood and might have to do a snorkel to make space.

Do you have this same void behind the rear bumper? Seems like it would be adequate space for a OBA system. Maybe a small pancake tank.
20210316_161427.jpg

gknapp

What snorkel are you looking at? The ARB one looks like a nasal cannula...

*Correction. Its the TJM not the ARB.
0 (1).jpg69bc3969d81b8441050e9fd69d98ff1b.jpg

Last edited:

utherjorge

Observer
Do you have this same void behind the rear bumper? Seems like it would be adequate space for a OBA system. Maybe a small pancake tank.
View attachment 648392
I do have that void, though beats the hell out of me what that big box is in the middle there. I have left it alone haha

I feel like the passenger side at the very rear would have space for the mid-size ARB compressor. I don't think the twin cylinder will fit, but I have truthfully not attempted to measure. Don't forget, since you can easily remove that whole trim panel, there's space behind it, too. A custom build, whether it uses the access panel at the bottom or not, has a bunch of space. After my first big trip next week, I'm going to planning a unique mod that NO ONE HAS EVER DONE IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD so I might lose some of that space.

There are two snorkels I have narrowed it down to. I like this one, because I love the head on it. It's like the Lenz design one that looks nice on the GX470...but that one is not made anymore.
snorkel-for-opel-campo-frontera-b-1998-2007.jpg

As you can see, the problem is the intake runs inside the fender from where it attaches above the wheel, to the actual intake at the front. Two 90 degree bends is not ideal. Then, there's this one:

s-l1600.jpg

This one is much more direct and similar to the TJM, though more slim where it pops out. Again...I hate the head, though. I do believe that there are heads you can buy that are like the one up top, though. Since you would remove the 90-degree bend it has to attach a straight pipe to the outside, there's no additional obstruction added.

Yes, these are not in the US, and one is not in AUS either. But they're out there and available and reasonably priced even in Euros.

gknapp

Decided to try and escape the rain and snow today. Drove out to the Marietta Wild Burro Range. Rain caught up to me anyways. I hope the lift arrives soon. The suspension on this poor thing is shot.
31921.jpg

Attachments

• 31921.jpg
    31921.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles