What will happen sooner... a Ford Gas vs Diesel dilema

ScottPC

I'm certainly a Ford truck guy, but RAM is making some serious trucks these days.
Especially when considering a gasser, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

If you want a diesel, Id point towards the RAM.

For what its worth regarding octane....
Rolling at 12,000 lbs with our junk (2011 6.2 Superduty), we see roughly a 1.5 MPG gain going from 87 to 93.

I'm still struggling to decide if I care. I guess I could run the numbers with regards to cost and mileage....
But I just don't care. The truck runs amazing with either. Just have to keep feeding it fuel.
Yeah, the only reason I care about octane is I want the ability to use lower octane if that's all I can get depending on where we're traveling. Of course higher mpgs are better especially as that's the best way to increase range, followed by larger tanks.

ScottPC

There should be lots of aftermarket alternatives that are just as good as the Tremor parts. Especially something like running boards.
The comment about running boards was in relation to why couldn't the Tremor be offered in more Ford configurations? If it was in a super cab configuration in addition to the supercrew, I would be a lot more appealing for someone wanting to stay with a stock build. To your point, there are lots of upgrade options that are probably better in many respects but not necessarily cheaper.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Considering the typical offerings for running boards, some might want to alter them anyhow...
Most hang well to low, for my liking.

I modified a cheap extruded aluminum set to sit very tight to the body.
They still work as what they were intended for, helping peeps in and out of the truck, as well as go a long way in keeping the truck clean.
But they no longer are the lowest part if the cab.... I think I raised these more than 4 inches from what they were designed.
Side benefit, is that I altered them in such a way that they seal against the pinch weld.
So mud/snow/road much doesn't kick under the body, and land on the running board, like so many do...

31863932617_02c9401e9d_b.jpg

sumnrfam

Is there any reason, tehcnically, those same tremor parts could not go on a superduty Regular cab or Super cab?

Thanks
@socceronly ,, for sure, they probably could, but for whatever reason they limit the 'Tremor' package to the crew / sb,, but as @montypower mentioned, the aftermarket options are probably a better $$spend, with being able to fully customize, coil and leaf pack rates,, rebuildable shocks etc,,

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
@ScottPC have you considered a Ford chassis cab, so that you can get the 40gal aft-of-rear axle fuel tank? Pics of my it on my old rig here; https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...perfect-roundtheworld-overlander-sold.221185/

For our "new" rig, we again went '19 F350 Lariat and 6.2L/6spd again, but Crew Cab 6.75' pickup (solely for our dogs--spoiled dogs--due to new camper decision), so 159.8"WB, 34gal midship fuel tank. But, Hwy Products is building the aluminum flatbed/boxes, I will add 4qty 4gal Rotopax to the tunnel/crossframe box, so we'll have 50gal of fuel max. Then one of the first new ATO Aterra XL campers; https://atoverland.com/pages/aterra-xl-flatbed-camper

I went around and around on the Ford vs RAM (even considered a ProspectorXL, but no payload!), but having had '07/E350/6.0L, '10/E350/6.8L, '15/F150/Ecoboost, '18/Transit/Ecoboost, '19/F350/chassis-cab, I decided to stick with the blue ovals--just home feeling for us, used to/like the styling. Diesel was too much a premium entry cost, and being in the industry around even more complicated diesels and all their CEL's/parts failures, no way I want to build backcountry rig and complicate the reliability. I decided to stay away from the 7.3L Godzilla/10spd due to it being a new engine and newer trans still, the 6.2L/6spd has been out a long time. Sure, the 6.2L/6spd has less torque, less gears so worse MPG, but it's tried/true. And when trying to follow K.I.S.S, nothing wrong with tried/true IMHO. YMMV however. :)

PS--Most fuel tank mfr's won't make a larger petrol tank due to issues with emissions junk; they've had some issues with the petrol tanks sucking down due to vacuum related issues. Which is unfortunate, as it'd certainly be nice to somehow have 55gal of fuel in a single tank when desired.

Last edited:

ScottPC

@ScottPC have you considered a Ford chassis cab, so that you can get the 40gal aft-of-rear axle fuel tank? Pics of my it on my old rig here; https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...perfect-roundtheworld-overlander-sold.221185/

For our "new" rig, we again went '19 F350 Lariat and 6.2L/6spd again, but Crew Cab 6.75' pickup (solely for our dogs--spoiled dogs--due to new camper decision), so 159.8"WB, 34gal midship fuel tank. But, Hwy Products is building the flatbed/boxes, I will add 4qty 4gal Rotopax to the tunnel/crossframe box, so we'll have 50gal of fuel max. Then one of the first new ATO Aterra XL campers; https://atoverland.com/pages/aterra-xl-flatbed-camper

The Chassis Cab would be viable if we could get a pass through...in fact preferred in many ways. The Alterra looks great too! We travel with a Black Lab who needs some space. Now, I believe with the F350, if the 6.2L is selected, then it's paired with the 10spd, but the 6sp is available in the F250 for the 6.2. The 7.3L and 10spd appears to be shaping up as a simple, low end torque solution, and hopefully reliable solution. They're only in the 2nd year so only time will tell. I do like the idea of the super cab, but that means sourcing and coordinating all of the upgrades I'd like. The Tremor is more of an out box good-enough-for-my-purposes solution but with the longer wheel base than I'd prefer. Since we plan to do a flatbed camper we may have a few options to extra jerry can / rotopax if we can't find a better option. I'm hopeful, Transfer Flow (see link in the OP), will create one like they did for the F150. If we have to wait for the camper, then I'll delay the truck a bit, and if the camper is ready sooner than expected, I'll likely go with more of a turnkey solution like the Tremor or AEV 3500 Prospector with the Hemi. I do think the Ford engines may have more reliability going for them based on my basic research.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The Chassis Cab would be viable if we could get a pass through...in fact preferred in many ways. The Alterra looks great too! We travel with a Black Lab who needs some space. Now, I believe with the F350, if the 6.2L is selected, then it's paired with the 10spd, but the 6sp is available in the F250 for the 6.2. The 7.3L and 10spd appears to be shaping up as a simple, low end torque solution, and hopefully reliable solution. They're only in the 2nd year so only time will tell. I do like the idea of the super cab, but that means sourcing and coordinating all of the upgrades I'd like. The Tremor is more of an out box good-enough-for-my-purposes solution but with the longer wheel base than I'd prefer. Since we plan to do a flatbed camper we may have a few options to extra jerry can / rotopax if we can't find a better option. I'm hopeful, Transfer Flow (see link in the OP), will create one like they did for the F150. If we have to wait for the camper, then I'll delay the truck a bit, and if the camper is ready sooner than expected, I'll likely go with more of a turnkey solution like the Tremor or AEV 3500 Prospector with the Hemi. I do think the Ford engines may have more reliability going for them based on my basic research.

You can have a custom pass-thru made for the truck cab, that's what we were going to have professionally done (replace the rear windshield with an aluminum plate with upper crawl-thru, then have a lower crawl-thru cut, all nicely framed in).

Any reason to not consider a slightly used truck (if you wanted a 6.2L/6spd) = more mod money?
Check out Peter (@montypower) video here about F250 vs F350;

ScottPC

Considering used and building up from there is always a possibility. I know the pass through is possible, just haven't found a resource to do that, unless it's with a a very high end camper build. You'll see earlier in the thread where I do like a like a lot about the 6.2 build. It's about finding the resources to do all of those things. I'd really like to find as close to off the shelf solution and to your earlier point, KISS as possible.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yeah, looks like one, although I thought they were doing them in a 2nd building. <shrug>

CappyJax

Very informative thread. I am looking at building an F550 based camper and it only have a 40 gallon tank with the 7.3L. But it is a rear tank. I was going to investigate if the 48 gallon midship tank from a long bed would fit under the F550 chassis and give me 88 gallons. But I was wondering if those of you with the midship tank have looked into that 40 gallon rear tank? You would need to find another spot for your spare though. I plan to have a bumper mount spare myself.

AMTRV

I went 6.7. I’m so use to 900 plus ft lbs of torque that I could never go back to a gas 3/4 ton. Mileage is quite good also for a heavy pickup.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Very informative thread. I am looking at building an F550 based camper and it only have a 40 gallon tank with the 7.3L. But it is a rear tank. I was going to investigate if the 48 gallon midship tank from a long bed would fit under the F550 chassis and give me 88 gallons. But I was wondering if those of you with the midship tank have looked into that 40 gallon rear tank? You would need to find another spot for your spare though. I plan to have a bumper mount spare myself.

What year F550(chassis-cab) are you looking at? And what wheelbase?
For '19 at least, the F550 came with the aft-of-axle 40gal tank which all chassis cab's get. A diesel truck, only in XL or XLT trim(unsure why they didn't allow a Lariat trim get this "65C" option), could add the mid-ship 26.5gal tank, as seen on pg11 here;
Dual Diesel – combines 40 gallon aft-of-axle & 26.5 gallon mid ship tank (req. DRW; XL req. 96V XL Value Pkg. or 585 Radio on XL Fleet units)

Also note from pg3;
  1. Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Tank Location:
    • ○ Aft-of-axle fuel tank is paired with the DEF tank located in the mid ship location, between the frame rails.
    • ○ Mid ship fuel tank is paired with the DEF tank located outside of the frame rail
    • ○ Dual tanks are paired with the DEF tank located outside of
      the frame rail
Now, switching to pickup trucks, an F450 pickup (6.7L diesel only for F450) with a 176"WB (DRW only) could have a 48gal. See pg5;
So you could probably add the 40gal to it = 88gal total.
I cannot find any dual tank option for the '17-19 Ford SuperDuty pickups, only chassis cabs.

So, here's a rabbit hole....
#1 On your F550 project, if it was a '17-19 F550 chassis cab, and the 6.8L V10 (so no DEF tank in the way), it'd have the 40gal aft tank, but the rig would be a 179.8"WB SuperCrew (crew/quad cab) DRW (https://fordbbas.com/vehicleModel/SuperDuty) vs a 176"WB...which means MAYBE you can fudge in the pickup's 48gal midship tank into the chassis cab = 88gal, but who knows if the tank would fit well.
#2 As mentioned above, an F450 pickup (crew cab only, DRW only) is only available with the 6.7L diesel, it is 176"WB with the standard 48gal midship tank (they must fit the DEF tank somewhere around it?), and then you can probably add the chassis-cab's 40gal aft tank in place of the spare tire. This is probably your best bet = 88gal total capacity.
#3 Or this is also interesting, see this thread; https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...la-for-overlanding.222950/page-5#post-2898045 Titan's 55gal midship for '17-21 F250/350 SuperCrew(crew/quad cab) pickup, w/ 6.5' bed(I think Titan means 6.75' bed, as you can't get a 6.5' bed in '19 F-SD pickup), w/ 6.7L diesel. Now, per pg5 here (https://media.ford.com/content/dam/...-duty/2019-Super-Duty-Pick-Up-Order-Guide.pdf), an F250/350 pickup w/ 6.7L diesel would either come with a 29gal (142" or 148"WB) or a 34gal (160" or 164"WB). But Titan mentions the 34gal being the stock size, so this means if you got a '17-19 159.8"WB(would be a CrewCab in SRW or DRW, 4x2 or 4x4) or 164.2"WB(would be a SuperCab in SRW or DRW, 4x2 or 4x4) pickup...but wait, dammit, remember that the F450 pickup only comes in CrewCab DRW w/ 176"WB (4x2 or 4x4), which means 48gal tank as standard from Ford. And Ford doesn't make an F550 pickup, only chassis cab, so no possibility of an F550 w/ ~160" or ~164"WB in order to get the Titan55gal + Ford40gal = 95gal setup.

So, for an F450/F550, probably no way to do a 55gal midship from Titan + factory Ford 40gal aft tank = 95gal total capacity. Someone could do probably this with the F250 or F350 6.7L CrewCab pickup w/ 6.75' bed though!! Would reduce the rest of your payload capacity with all of that fuel.
Or, for the F450 crew cab pickup DRW w/ 176"WB, see #2 for 88gal diesel capacity.
F550 (available in any of 3 cab designs) w/ 6.7L diesel will be factory dual only (26.5gal midship and 40gal aft) = 66.5gal.

Whew that was a lot of data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94