Trailscape's 06 Tundra

trailscape

Explorer
I've never seen one of the ARB bumpers up close on a Tundra, but I have heard secondhand that they are kind of "jiggly". They stick out very far. I'm unfamiliar with the 4x4Labs bumper, so can't help there. I believe the Addicted Offroad bumper has to be welded in. The Brute Force Fab bumpers mate up perfectly to factory mounting locations, no welding. Mine has been 100% rock solid throughout everything I've put it through. The factory crush zones are untouched, so theoretically it shouldn't affect accident performance as much as a welded-in bumper. But I'm not a mechanical engineer so don't take my word for it.

I also like the hybrid tube bumpers. Brute Force Fab hasn't made them for the 1st gen Tundra, but they have made them for Tacoma's. I honestly don't think it would be difficult for them to whip one up for your Tundra. If you're looking for more front end protection you can do the full wrap around bars to protect the headlights and such.

Yeah, the modifications needed for the Addicted bumper is kind of a deal breaker for me. I do really like the BF bumpers and he's been making them for a while. I hardly see any modified tundras around here. Wish I did, so I could see some armor up close.

Here's the 4x4labs bumper. I think it's pretty slick looking, but kind of pricey. There's a kit version for a lot less.

smokeysevin

Observer
Yeah, the modifications needed for the Addicted bumper is kind of a deal breaker for me. I do really like the BF bumpers and he's been making them for a while. I hardly see any modified tundras around here. Wish I did, so I could see some armor up close.

Here's the 4x4labs bumper. I think it's pretty slick looking, but kind of pricey. There's a kit version for a lot less.
I got curious about the kit after you posted it and checked out what it would cost to ship to Houston, $225...

in case anyone else was wondering.

Sean

alaskanherbs

I love my Brute Force rear bumper, but man there’s gotta be an easier way to get in an out of the back. It lacks any step in the center making it a chore for my increasingly decrepit ass to climb up there.

View attachment 616273
I love your set up, could you post up some more pictures of your rear bumper and any other info when you get a chance, have you had a chance to tow anything with it yet? Im looking to get a brute force fab for my tundra but i also tow a camper a lot and im a bit concerned. any issues fitting the spare?
cheers,
jared

Kpack

Adventurer
My Brute Force bumper is a bit different than @trailscape, with mine being a single swing-out and high clearance. All else is the same. They both mount to the same factory mounting holes. I might be able to answer some of your questions.

Side view showing overall dimensions of the front and rear bumpers
y4mWqNoIT_2l5F6wuq833FlJyb3ICUlW7_tFAo6PYb0Yjv4GkakPCQEth2jBSZRL308KgEtWrA7fvWxq6ibwgBfwmIQf2g9GvxBYktyDKjC31ikE3LB5zuJGc1_EdzY4ydIsNnXpaopY5OeTgajqjVWb7qOYjlPrcBMYtuu2EcTSfSJNdhPoFqkEoycXwrfv6Gu

This view gives you an idea of how far the spare and jerry cans stick out from the rear. Largest size tire that should be placed on the swing out is 35" (if I recall correctly)
y4mHlQ_LnbDZbPpwK19K-lEvPCshhccGLc0gAidYS3Idj72m66NABIoPyDAorZxsgop56pMslr4450RKgtfC7l-LiYk3-hlLSaz-OJZBPGwL0BxFO9jfvErBvqCVzSpqCsRd1-okngz8qv0_MBRIoZ4He7tFRAo3dnJpoa2eii6FSH64vt7Z2dKi9qnrOkWZzy-

I tow ~5000 lbs of boat and trailer using the built-in receiver on the bumper
y4mdZkI0upaqC7N8Beq_9_jJ1lGiqeW9Xoe_OMkSlp2J5oD9Wed-Hh5AW5eB9JPTrCWWZtoJYrkkTjEBC0SAjlOnKJ_bzO5CaBCmxu0rzRocv_ji9moFfqffGyrF7VKhd7CQNB4Hqg_p2ax1eSkj4_9dHXPBGVM8A96oC3w5q33bbW0w0g8haBXautiOu-G_sTE

Because the bumper is so much higher than the stock hitch, I have to use a drop hitch in order for the trailer to sit at the right height while towing
y4mQjEftnMs-xGIz-wgB47texYpHaTcdnsiODFVNiaYrvSmzTG_T-4m64YtNSG5U9AbR-kIYNNqXS0gEfbbXrS3Ks4cHRrNfxSczuSKsaEn2aAF3bA5t9fYUC4L_WceUhX-55N6clMmv8VIiF-XAw1BqH11ZoppN-O_sApiRTlcTOnAPiRsFyNUfWCEQcMm8XqD

The bumper hasn't had any issues with towing that weight. The spare tire has never been an issue while towing the boat. The biggest problem is the truck itself. Towing that much weight up a constant grade for 15 miles makes the truck want to overheat. It's not graceful.

-Kevin

trailscape

Explorer
I love your set up, could you post up some more pictures of your rear bumper and any other info when you get a chance, have you had a chance to tow anything with it yet? Im looking to get a brute force fab for my tundra but i also tow a camper a lot and im a bit concerned. any issues fitting the spare?
cheers,
jared

I haven't done any towing outside of moving my utility trailer around the driveway. As @Kpack mentioned, you're going to need a serious drop hitch.
I was a little concerned about the towing capacity initially, but after seeing the bumper there's no need to worry. It is built stout. Check out this shot.

9BAE6142-F252-49D6-BBCE-A4FF21377760.jpeg

trailscape

Explorer
Always something.. My headlights started flickering last night, followed by smoke and the aroma of burning electrical components.

C4D37EB1-8456-47DB-A78C-E33DD5470B0F.jpg

Narrowed it down to this guy... Part of my headlight retrofit. The Morimoto Motocontrol box.
03C6F8B5-59A4-4244-91F9-39FCE755F8FE.jpg

The stench is awful... No idea what caused this yet. This is the second time one of these failed on me. First one was due to moisture. Turning into a weak point that I don't want.
8A12CC2F-54C5-414A-9C9E-24B12822B1E3.jpg

smokeysevin

Observer
I had an issue with the stock headlight plugs, and the aftermarket driving light fuse on my mini getting hot and melting. Based on the plug, it looks like you got high resistivity on one pin that took out the rest. Do you use dielectric grease on the plugs when you connect them?

Sean

trailscape

Explorer
I had an issue with the stock headlight plugs, and the aftermarket driving light fuse on my mini getting hot and melting. Based on the plug, it looks like you got high resistivity on one pin that took out the rest. Do you use dielectric grease on the plugs when you connect them?

Sean

I'm thinking I did, but it was longer ago than I thought. I think 5+ years.. I ordered up another one and will some for sure.

alaskanherbs

My Brute Force bumper is a bit different than @trailscape, with mine being a single swing-out and high clearance. All else is the same. They both mount to the same factory mounting holes. I might be able to answer some of your questions.

Side view showing overall dimensions of the front and rear bumpers
y4mWqNoIT_2l5F6wuq833FlJyb3ICUlW7_tFAo6PYb0Yjv4GkakPCQEth2jBSZRL308KgEtWrA7fvWxq6ibwgBfwmIQf2g9GvxBYktyDKjC31ikE3LB5zuJGc1_EdzY4ydIsNnXpaopY5OeTgajqjVWb7qOYjlPrcBMYtuu2EcTSfSJNdhPoFqkEoycXwrfv6Gu

This view gives you an idea of how far the spare and jerry cans stick out from the rear. Largest size tire that should be placed on the swing out is 35" (if I recall correctly)
y4mHlQ_LnbDZbPpwK19K-lEvPCshhccGLc0gAidYS3Idj72m66NABIoPyDAorZxsgop56pMslr4450RKgtfC7l-LiYk3-hlLSaz-OJZBPGwL0BxFO9jfvErBvqCVzSpqCsRd1-okngz8qv0_MBRIoZ4He7tFRAo3dnJpoa2eii6FSH64vt7Z2dKi9qnrOkWZzy-

I tow ~5000 lbs of boat and trailer using the built-in receiver on the bumper
y4mdZkI0upaqC7N8Beq_9_jJ1lGiqeW9Xoe_OMkSlp2J5oD9Wed-Hh5AW5eB9JPTrCWWZtoJYrkkTjEBC0SAjlOnKJ_bzO5CaBCmxu0rzRocv_ji9moFfqffGyrF7VKhd7CQNB4Hqg_p2ax1eSkj4_9dHXPBGVM8A96oC3w5q33bbW0w0g8haBXautiOu-G_sTE

Because the bumper is so much higher than the stock hitch, I have to use a drop hitch in order for the trailer to sit at the right height while towing
y4mQjEftnMs-xGIz-wgB47texYpHaTcdnsiODFVNiaYrvSmzTG_T-4m64YtNSG5U9AbR-kIYNNqXS0gEfbbXrS3Ks4cHRrNfxSczuSKsaEn2aAF3bA5t9fYUC4L_WceUhX-55N6clMmv8VIiF-XAw1BqH11ZoppN-O_sApiRTlcTOnAPiRsFyNUfWCEQcMm8XqD

The bumper hasn't had any issues with towing that weight. The spare tire has never been an issue while towing the boat. The biggest problem is the truck itself. Towing that much weight up a constant grade for 15 miles makes the truck want to overheat. It's not graceful.

-Kevin

Thank you both,
Kpac, do you use the weigh safe hitch? 10" drop"? My camper is about 3500 lbs, and a bit tongue heavy. I'm just about to order a rear bumper from Billy, I want one swing out, but cant decide if I want to cut my bed or not.
Trailscape, can you post up some more pictures of your rear bumper when you get a chance please?
cheers,
jared

trailscape

Explorer
Anyone have suggestions on improving body roll, sway. I know I could probably go with a Hellwig sway bar, but I’m looking at other options too like Sumo Springs or other improved bumpstops. The new leaf springs have settled enough that I’m feeling the need here.

smokeysevin

Observer
Anyone have suggestions on improving body roll, sway. I know I could probably go with a Hellwig sway bar, but I’m looking at other options too like Sumo Springs or other improved bumpstops. The new leaf springs have settled enough that I’m feeling the need here.
Are you running a front sway bar? What rear shocks are you using and are they in the stock mounting points?

Sean

Kpack

Adventurer
I don't recall what shocks you are running on the rear. I have shocks with adjustable dampeners on the rear, so when my truck is loaded down I crank them up and it dramatically firms up the rear. No sway at all. Normal driving unloaded I run them at position "1" (out of 10). Loaded up I run them at "8" or "9". I haven't connected my front sway bar for probably 4 years now. I should also mention that I'm running stock leaf packs with single AAL and overload spring retained.

trailscape

Explorer
Are you running a front sway bar? What rear shocks are you using and are they in the stock mounting points?

Sean

Yeah, oem sway bar with extended links. I’m running Old man emu front and rear. Nothing fancy. Archive garage leafs. Maybe it’s time to upgrade shocks.

trailscape

Explorer
I don't recall what shocks you are running on the rear. I have shocks with adjustable dampeners on the rear, so when my truck is loaded down I crank them up and it dramatically firms up the rear. No sway at all. Normal driving unloaded I run them at position "1" (out of 10). Loaded up I run them at "8" or "9". I haven't connected my front sway bar for probably 4 years now. I should also mention that I'm running stock leaf packs with single AAL and overload spring retained.

Thanks. Thinking I might be due for a shock upgrade. I’ve been running the Old man emu kit from toytec for probably five years now. I did upgrade to the archive garage leaf springs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles