100 Series Purchase advise

unleashd

Hello folks

I've recently started searching for a 100 series to build out as an overlander. Found a 2001 LX470 in reasonably good shape with 190K miles. Visually it checked out fine on the outside. All functions are good. TB replaced by dealership, but seller does not remember mileage. But, on the undercarriage, I found this rust. I knocked on these parts with a small hammer and the sound was normal steel. The worst impact of the rust was that the tail pipe behind the muffler has broken off. Seller has owned this rig since 2004 when he bought it with 50K miles. The price is pretty attractive. Should I be worried and walk away?

IMG_0692_HEIC-X3.jpg

IMG_0693_HEIC-X3.jpg

IMG_0694_HEIC-X3.jpg

IMG_0702_HEIC-X3.jpg

FWIW, I DIY most everything on my cars and trucks, except for engines and transmissions :) But, I have always stayed away from serious rust repair.

Appreciate your responses.

That rust looks more than surface. Rust in the cracks is cancer. I live in Phoenix. There are many low to no rust mall cruiser vehicles forsale here. Most have never been wheeled. I have dealt with terminal cancer in projects before. Unless that’s your love kink, I would stay away. Spend your time, money, and life force on your overland build. JMO

unleashd

That rust looks more than surface. Rust in the cracks is cancer. I live in Phoenix. There are many low to no rust mall cruiser vehicles forsale here. Most have never been wheeled. I have dealt with terminal cancer in projects before. Unless that’s your love kink, I would stay away. Spend your time, money, and life force on your overland build. JMO

Thank you. I went back earlier today and knocked on all those metal parts yet again. None of the pieces seemed to be excessively corroded to the point of being crusty and crumpling. Taking into account, I made a much lower 35% lower than asking price to the seller after showing him all the work that needs to be done. He was nice enough to agree to to my offer and we made the deal. I will pick it up in the next day/two. There is a lot of wire brushing, blowing, POR-15 and Fluid film coming up soon :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles