New 270 Awning available.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Thats one of the first things I noticed when I unboxed my OVS 270 LT. Those mounts are HUGE. I had already bought the Leitner Designs one so I didn't end up using them, but they're beefy as hell.

Fe2wVFj.jpg

And it doesn't take up anymore space than the previous CVT one I had.

ixLEnVI.jpg

Qomomoko

They are great brackets. However they do not work with the Pioneer Rhino Rack.

I had already decided to go with the Smart Touring System Quick Connect Brackets.

They need to be about 5 inches longer.

IMG-1095.jpg

The STSQC brackes do not include the long L ish (8 to 12 inch) bracket correct?

Vanhalo

Yes. You can order them as a kit.
All you see here is the STSQC bracket system.
Additionally for the OVS 270 LT you will need their Foxwing adapters that have zero to do with the Rhino Rack itself.

IMG-1093.jpg
IMG-1094.jpg

IMG-1096.jpg

You will have to source your own strut nuts, bolts, washers, and lock washers from Lowes to install the brackets on the Rhino Rack.

IMG-1099.jpg

The brackets require some drilling to fit the 3/8" hex bolts.

Last edited:

Milamr

For the Bushcompany Awning. Is their brackets the best for their awning? What have you guys done?

I used the Bush Company brackets. They have held up great so far. Been on for about 9 months.
1f8e5319c72af402989e4070fa15e032.jpg

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

alia176

Explorer
Alia176, do you think adding to your composite list FreeStading100%// FreeStandindSetupOnly//SetupNeedsSupport or something of the sort ?

I think this youtuber Darche Eclipse 270 provided the most hones complete review. Like you alia176 I am putting more importance now on FreeStanding100% for practicality.

Some of these like the Wraptor 6k, the Darche Eclipse and OVS Nomadic are SOO similar that one claiming more free standing than other worries me about regretting the purchase, hence the BushCompany 270 XT Max or Bundawan L or 360 seem more appropriate for me.

The bracket for all of these, are they pretty flexible in their location? Meaning, the cross bars the L's attach too, the L's can be attached to multiple location along the Awning Bar/Panel?

EDIT ALSOO

For the Bushcompany Awning. Is their brackets the best for their awning? What have you guys done? My roof rack has round cross bars and they are not spaced evenly... i will edit a pic in a little bit.

Hiya,

I apologize for not checking this thread lately. I did end up with a Bushcompany 270 XT from CVT in Las Vegas, NV and ended up making four brackets for my four Thule load bars. I don't have a roof rack, just dead weight I have no use for. I also didn't want four universal, heavy, and super beefy mounting brackets from Bush Company. My goal is to minimize the amount of weight on top of my roof/rain gutters.

That YT'er did a great job with the pros/cons of the Darche; poles and guy ropes are their biggest gripe. Too many of them which results in a tripping hazard all around! I'm assuming the OVS and OVS Lite are similarly designed.
The beauty of the Bush 270XT is that they don't even offer poles, only three guy ropes+anchors. I really wanted a "true" pole-free design and don't want to worry about wind events. Bush Company clearly states that their awnings require zero poles and if the wind speed is over xxxx miles/hour, use their guy ropes.

Additionally, I have no need for coverage toward the front of the vehicle, which resulted in less arms/weight and one less strap to pull and tighten. I don't hang around the driver door while camping so there's no need for coverage in that area. That eliminated OVS/Darche/23Zero/Bush company 270XT MAX/etc style of awnings.

Last weekend, my buddies showed up at the house to work on a project and we deployed the awning during a windy day with occasional wind gusts that would've prevented me from deploying my previous Batwing awning. This awning simply didn't care and we were all quite impressed. So, that was a huge confidence booster for me. This awning CAN be deployed over a trail side lunch break w/o worrying about the wind. I won't have to bring out the guy ropes, hammer, etc to feel secure about deploying it. Granted, the coverage area is less than the BW 270 awning as the arms are shorter (89" vs 98") but I'm willing to live with is trade off.

e35d1778c77a588c954ea200cabe29c7.jpg
fb738461524e8f0ce5d24600260da72d.jpg
cd68136230cd584795606ff14d816adf.jpg
d46ed451fc307bb43944ddd67bb69bc7.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered the OVS Nomadic 270 and walls for the trailer I built on March 23rd but they are telling me that it is going to be mid June before I get it...

Not real happy about that because I have a huge trip planned for the end of June and when I ordered it, they told me it would be ready the first of May! If it doesn't get here before my trip I'll not be a "happy camper"...

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
I ordered the OVS Nomadic 270 and walls for the trailer I built on March 23rd but they are telling me that it is going to be mid March before I get it...

Not real happy about that because I have a huge trip planned for the end of June and when I ordered it, they told me it would be ready the first of May! If it doesn't get here before my trip I'll not be a "happy camper"...

Welcome to Covid times. Even though we're mostly past Covid, we're not past Covid times.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I ordered the OVS Nomadic 270 and walls for the trailer I built on March 23rd but they are telling me that it is going to be mid June before I get it...

What part of the Earth do you leave on...Everybody has been affected by it. I placed an order for a rear bumper 6 months out, I placed an order for sliders 4 to 6 months. I placed an order for some home tower Speakers 5 months. I placed an order for a car 4 months. I placed an order for some Wheels 3 months. I placed an order for Tires 3 weeks. Get the hints!! Welcome to the new order world!

What part of the Earth do you leave on...Everybody has been affected by it. I placed an order for a rear bumper 6 months out, I placed an order for sliders 4 to 6 months. I placed an order for some home tower Speakers 5 months. I placed an order for a car 4 months. I placed an order for some Wheels 3 months. I placed an order for Tires 3 weeks. Get the hints!! Welcome to the new order world!

Get what hints? I don't care what you ordered 6 months out if you knew it was going to take that long then that's fine. They told me I'd have it the first of May when I ordered. Now they are saying it's going to be 6 weeks min later than that. If getting the hints means being happy and accepting being lied to - then I'll pass...

To answer your first question, I live in the 4 the largest metro area in the US.

concretejungle

Adventurer
Hiya,

I apologize for not checking this thread lately. I did end up with a Bushcompany 270 XT from CVT in Las Vegas, NV and ended up making four brackets for my four Thule load bars. I don't have a roof rack, just dead weight I have no use for. I also didn't want four universal, heavy, and super beefy mounting brackets from Bush Company. My goal is to minimize the amount of weight on top of my roof/rain gutters.

That YT'er did a great job with the pros/cons of the Darche; poles and guy ropes are their biggest gripe. Too many of them which results in a tripping hazard all around! I'm assuming the OVS and OVS Lite are similarly designed.
The beauty of the Bush 270XT is that they don't even offer poles, only three guy ropes+anchors. I really wanted a "true" pole-free design and don't want to worry about wind events. Bush Company clearly states that their awnings require zero poles and if the wind speed is over xxxx miles/hour, use their guy ropes.

Additionally, I have no need for coverage toward the front of the vehicle, which resulted in less arms/weight and one less strap to pull and tighten. I don't hang around the driver door while camping so there's no need for coverage in that area. That eliminated OVS/Darche/23Zero/Bush company 270XT MAX/etc style of awnings.

Last weekend, my buddies showed up at the house to work on a project and we deployed the awning during a windy day with occasional wind gusts that would've prevented me from deploying my previous Batwing awning. This awning simply didn't care and we were all quite impressed. So, that was a huge confidence booster for me. This awning CAN be deployed over a trail side lunch break w/o worrying about the wind. I won't have to bring out the guy ropes, hammer, etc to feel secure about deploying it. Granted, the coverage area is less than the BW 270 awning as the arms are shorter (89" vs 98") but I'm willing to live with is trade off.

e35d1778c77a588c954ea200cabe29c7.jpg
fb738461524e8f0ce5d24600260da72d.jpg
cd68136230cd584795606ff14d816adf.jpg
d46ed451fc307bb43944ddd67bb69bc7.jpg
Ali thanks for this! I had actually emailed the bush company asking about mounting on load bars and they have not responded. I have three Rhino HD load bars for my RTT and I'm thinking that is not enough? You have 4 I think?

I'm concerned with the rear bar as it seems like it would hold the lion's share of the weight. Are you satisfied with this thing mounted on the load bars?

alia176

Explorer
Yup, four load bars because of the leverage this pole free design awning will exert on the rain gutters. As you said, a lot of weight is at the rear and that's the second reason for the fourth load bar. The first pic shows the 3rd and 4th bar are closer together than the other two bars. I won't be doing pullups like their promo video but a field test will bring out any deficiencies.

I haven't used it yet so no field report yet!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Markal

This thread is immensely helpful! We have a trailer coming from Hiker Trailer later this summer. They offer Rhino Rack but I’d read that some folks don’t like the Rhino Rack Batwing so I decided to shop for an awning separately. That trailer will have a galley in the back with a door that will swing open to the “driver’s side.” So I want a passenger side awning that will have decent coverage over the back. Seems like the Wraptor 4K or the OVS Nomad are my favorite options so far.

Any special considerations when putting an awning on a trailer rather than the roof of my vehicle? The trailer will have heavy duty, steel roof rack. Thanks!

Has anyone received an OVS awning recently or interacted with them at all? I ordered mine a couple months ago and was told to expect a May delivery. All good. A few days later I got a shipping notice in my inbox and was surprised. A week went by and I got no more updates, so I reached out and got a reply a day or two later saying it was a mistake. Whoops! All good.

Then a flash forward a couple of months: a few weeks ago I got another shipping notice for two packages. Score! My brackets showed up in a smaller box, and then I anxiously awaited the awning proper. It has now been about 3 weeks and the tracking number says No Information Available / If you're the shipper contact us / Delay, etc. I can't see any details about where the package was last scanned or anything helpful like that. I've emailed OVS several times over the past several weeks and I've gotten zero response. I tried calling and got no answer and no voicemail.

I'm fairly patient, and I know everyone's has had a challenging year, but I'd at least expect to get an email back saying "We're looking into it." At the end of the day, they have my money and I have no product. No sure what to do next. I *want* their product still!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles