2005 G500 build by MG Metalworks

paachi

Likewise. Glad you are keeping it. It’s such a well sorted G. And it’s really hard to find something like it with such a breadth of capability.

Are you based in SF? Would love to catch up sometime and see it in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Likewise. Glad you are keeping it. It’s such a well sorted G. And it’s really hard to find something like it with such a breadth of capability.

Are you based in SF? Would love to catch up sometime and see it in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's in Oregon.

moose545

I made a hinge for mine but you can buy them now online.

On your site? Kindly link it if you don't mind. Great work and nice rides too man, G looks fantastic and you definitely know your stuff, spot on explanations too help a new guy like me big time (y)

mgmetalworks

Explorer
....Great work and nice rides too man, G looks fantastic and you definitely know your stuff, spot on explanations too help a new guy like me big time (y)

Thank you kindly! Stick around... this G of ours is gonna get some special work done on it soon. ;)

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
hey MG, would you mind taking some pictures of how you attached the ARB front bumper please? I don't like any of the options I can find for my G here in the US. Many thanks.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Our G sees so much daily driver use that it's hard to take it out of service to do any significant work on it. Routine maintenance is not too hard to fit in to the shop schedule but major work seems to get pushed out further all too often. Well...at 225,000 miles, the G decided all on its own that it was time to do some things to freshen up.

My last oil change kind of kicked this off when, for the first time, there was some material on the magnetic drain plug. That sort of thing doesn't really get better over time so I figured we'd just send it for a while and try to drive it less. Then a series of timely events sped up the process a bit when, almost simultaneously, the power steering pump and A/C compressor decided they wanted attention. Along with a small coolant hose between the oil cooler and water pump AND the belt tensioner...no doubt somewhat affected by the A/C clutch destroying itself and yarding on the belt in a bit of slant. And if that wasn't enough of a clue, the center driveshaft started making chirping sound and yep, internally it sounds very loose.

So I call up my man Jeremy from Matrix Integrated and he helped track down a replacement engine (one of only two in existence at the moment) and it was delivered promptly.

71096985944__DF5FE735-2346-40EE-9827-CC575A72F9EB.jpg

When I ordered a "replacement long block", I was assuming that I'd have to transfer over a bunch of parts from the old engine or buy a ton of little items to replace old rotten hoses and wiring but this thing came A LOT more complete than I ever imagined it would. Big time and money saver there!

The tear down process has begun and while I'm going this far, I might as well take care of several other things that are much easier to take care of now with the engine out. The steering gear is being sent out for a refresh, the transmission is getting a refresh, I was lucky enough to find a transfer case from a salvaged rig that has 25k miles so that's being replaced and, Driveline Service of Portland hooked me up with all new driveshafts (now with serviceable ujoints). I'll also replace heater hoses and any other small items as needed. Aside from being a little dirty, everything is in pretty good shape.

There's more stuff in the works beyond the drivetrain refresh but that update will come a bit later.

IMG_5386.jpg

When it all goes back together, I'm going to go in a different direction with the front bumper so our ARB bumper is now for sale (with the mounting brackets and bracket for relocating the oil cooler). $500.

IMG_5387.jpg

smatts710

Our G sees so much daily driver use that it's hard to take it out of service to do any significant work on it. Routine maintenance is not too hard to fit in to the shop schedule but major work seems to get pushed out further all too often. Well...at 225,000 miles, the G decided all on its own that it was time to do some things to freshen up.

My last oil change kind of kicked this off when, for the first time, there was some material on the magnetic drain plug. That sort of thing doesn't really get better over time so I figured we'd just send it for a while and try to drive it less. Then a series of timely events sped up the process a bit when, almost simultaneously, the power steering pump and A/C compressor decided they wanted attention. Along with a small coolant hose between the oil cooler and water pump AND the belt tensioner...no doubt somewhat affected by the A/C clutch destroying itself and yarding on the belt in a bit of slant. And if that wasn't enough of a clue, the center driveshaft started making chirping sound and yep, internally it sounds very loose.

So I call up my man Jeremy from Matrix Integrated and he helped track down a replacement engine (one of only two in existence at the moment) and it was delivered promptly.

View attachment 787363

When I ordered a "replacement long block", I was assuming that I'd have to transfer over a bunch of parts from the old engine or buy a ton of little items to replace old rotten hoses and wiring but this thing came A LOT more complete than I ever imagined it would. Big time and money saver there!

The tear down process has begun and while I'm going this far, I might as well take care of several other things that are much easier to take care of now with the engine out. The steering gear is being sent out for a refresh, the transmission is getting a refresh, I was lucky enough to find a transfer case from a salvaged rig that has 25k miles so that's being replaced and, Driveline Service of Portland hooked me up with all new driveshafts (now with serviceable ujoints). I'll also replace heater hoses and any other small items as needed. Aside from being a little dirty, everything is in pretty good shape.

There's more stuff in the works beyond the drivetrain refresh but that update will come a bit later.

View attachment 787364

When it all goes back together, I'm going to go in a different direction with the front bumper so our ARB bumper is now for sale (with the mounting brackets and bracket for relocating the oil cooler). $500.

View attachment 787365
Thanks for sharing your Gwagon story. There is some really great info shared here. I found this while searching for some help on suspension updrade help on my 02 G500. Looking to do some longish 700 to 1200 mile trips over next few years.

The washboard roads are beating me to death. Cut my Idaho trip short due to stuck / failed EGR valve. Too much shaking going on possibly.

Have 2” inch lift with aftermarket coils and Bilstein “adjustable” sort of shocks. BF Goodrich AllTerain tires on factory 18’s- so air down is somewhat limited. Any guidance out there?

Wondering if i get more out of going bead locks vs shock upgrade. Will need a good overland builder in great Seattle area to help me with the work, so referrals would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0311.jpeg
    IMG_0311.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0699.jpeg
    IMG_0699.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles