Cook Partner stove FAQ / Master thread

spressomon

Expedition Leader
FWIW, When I bought my PS stove support/table I purchased two different lengths of spreader "bars". I use the shorter bars with my 22" whereas when I had the much larger 3-burner I used the longer spreader bars. Not sure if they still offer different length bars or not. But they would be easy enough to fab/have fabricated for custom width.

scram

If you're interested in a work surface for your stove stand look into having a Richlite cutting board made. I found a site called The Cutting Board Company (no affiliation) that had great service, website, and was shipped very quickly. They also have other materials as well if bamboo, hdpe, poly, or other woods are more your thing. I choose the Richlite since it's high temp rated and food safe so I can use it as a cutting board and still sit hot pots or whatever on it. I had mine cut to be 22"x13" and it fits in my BROG stove bag along with my 22" Cook Partner. I saw where someone used a standard hdpe board and it would sag with time and weight so I figured a tougher material was a better idea. I need to see if I have a better picture of the board.

View attachment 527859

Another thing I use my stand for is my wash basins. I use 3 of the 1/3 size restaurant steam table pans (6" deep version). They're stainless steel so I can set them directly on the stove to reheat my wash water and then drop them back in place. The Richlite cutting surface sits on top of them when I want prep/cooking surface. Left is hot soapy water, middle is warm rinse, and right is cold sterilize with a couple of steramine tablets. The only thing I had to make was a middle cross bar to support the pans.

View attachment 527858
Good evening - What are the chances you might post a couple more pics of your 3-stainless steel bowl and Richlite cutting board setup? I’m super interested in duplicating?

Scoutman

Explorer
Good evening - What are the chances you might post a couple more pics of your 3-stainless steel bowl and Richlite cutting board setup? I’m super interested in duplicating?

I'll look to see what other pictures I have or I'll take some soon. The boards and pans you can purchase online. The mid support bar you'll need to make but it's pretty basic.

Scoutman

Explorer
Sorry, just got around to taking these this past weekend. The rear cross bar is the original and the stove gets pushed back an inch or so. The mid and forward bars I made and are out of 3/4" angle. The mid bar is still a prototype and they both need painting.

The steam pans sit lower on the fwd and mid bars and the cutting board bridges over them and sits on the side bars.

My utensil holder is usually hanging off one side and my soap, sponge, food scraper are in a caddy on the other side. When its time to do dishes I put the left and center pans on the burners to warm the wash water and it only takes a few minutes. The sterilize is cold water and I use a couple of Steramine tablets which is why the water is blue. When the hot soapy gets too nasty I'll toss it, pour the mid rinse in, and put fresh rinse water in. It sounds like a lot of water but its not really. I'll get a weekend out of this setup most times.

To dry dishes I lay a towel on the cutting board and set it on the stove with the lid closed.

That's all probably more than you wanted to know but there it is.

df09c75a317d699f14e4c0b1546dbd06.jpg

5684189a63bfbf6f2ea29d49ece01e25.jpg

180870792fedc5ac9352e9416da3f431.jpg

b01b2248ecf87c894efee4db01c27619.jpg

3b560c439425d4eda8fdd0471a5705bb.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
So I'd like to get the best of both worlds: Partner stove with the 20k burners and peizo of the Camp Chef and Stansport units. I've heard about an alternative high pressure regulator that would allow you to turn these PS burners up higher (especially at altitude). Has anybody ever heard of one?

shade

So I'd like to get the best of both worlds: Partner stove with the 20k burners and peizo of the Camp Chef and Stansport units. I've heard about an alternative high pressure regulator that would allow you to turn these PS burners up higher (especially at altitude). Has anybody ever heard of one?
You might try contacting Partner Steel directly. I've never had need for more output from one of their burners, but they may have some ideas about increasing it.

How large are the Camp Chef burners you want to replicate? I think you may find that the PS burners are physically too small in diameter to spread out the heat for even cooking if the output is boosted.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
That's my only quip with my PS stove: Flame spread. Years ago I spoke to them and they were considering designing a larger diameter, dual or triple flame ring burner, but I never heard any more about it.

PS burners are already high pressure...

I would guess 20k burners are going to require a bigger form factor...that's much heat to dissipate and also intake air is 2x or more larger. I've got a CC Mountain Ranger 2-burner and its a great stove in its only right and although I've hauled it for camp duty a couple times it eats propane, takes up more cargo space...and isn't the ticket for low heat flame control. I think, to be adept at a variety of cooking scenarios, a dual ring burner design with a flame control for each "ring" would be great for everything from small pan/low heat output to heating a larger 12-14" CI or similar pan...

Scoutman

Explorer
Been enjoying our PS stove and stand as an outdoor stove even at home lately; just sits there ready until I want to sear steaks, pan-fry burgers, or re-season pans or something - anything that's going to stink up the home kitchen.

Also bought a large plastic cutting board from restaurant supply and made the stand insert for a work surface - actually cut it oversize a bit for more area. Very nice! Only drawback is you can't put hot pans down on it directly since plastic.

If you want a cutting board you can put hot stuff on I would recommend getting one made of Richlite. The Cutting Board Company will custom cut one to your size spec's out of just about any commonly used cutting board material. (See post above)

Laps

If you want a cutting board you can put hot stuff on I would recommend getting one made of Richlite. The Cutting Board Company will custom cut one to your size spec's out of just about any commonly used cutting board material. (See post above)
I have a Richlite from the Cutting Board Company and it is excellent! I had one cut to size to sit on top of my kitchen chuck box.

Mdmeltdown

I talked with Partner Steel and am about to order an 18". They said you have to use their 26 psi regulator with the PIA male type 20lb bottle connection. From my experience using a Mr. Buddy Heater, those male tank connections suck. I end up hurting my hand getting enough torque on that plastic sliding "wrench" to seal it they come with. I end up having to use a wrench anyway. Propane tanks up to the late 90's all had that same type of connection and you had to use a crescent wrench to tighten them every time you hooked one up.

The industry got away from those (at least on the consumer market for grills, etc., ) and came out with the quick connect for that reason. That's why new tanks have both male and female threads. Anyways.......partner steel said the other end of the hose was a "proprietary" connection. That's what Blackstone Grill company said too, lol, except there are third party companies making fittings and hoses. I ended up getting a conversion hose for my Blackstone that would connect to the quick connect gas hoses on RV's. https://propanegear.com/blackstone-17-22-griddle-compatible-rv-quick-connect-12-ft-hose/

I know there are adapters, ect. but I'm looking for other hose options and assume I will keep with the 26 psi.

Anyone have pics of the grill side hose connection?

Last edited:

Scoutman

Explorer
I talked with Partner Steel and am about to order an 18". They said you have to use their 26 psi regulator with the PIA male type 20lb bottle connection. From my experience using a Mr. Buddy Heater, those male tank connections suck. I end up hurting my hand getting enough torque on that plastic sliding "wrench" to seal it they come with. I end up having to use a wrench anyway. Propane tanks up to the late 90's all had that same type of connection and you had to use a crescent wrench to tighten them every time you hooked one up.

The industry got away from those (at least on the consumer market for grills, etc., ) and came out with the quick connect for that reason. That's why new tanks have both male and female threads. Anyways.......partner steel said the other end of the hose was a "proprietary" connection. That's what Blackstone Grill company said too, lol, except there are third party companies making fittings and hoses. I ended up getting a conversion hose for my Blackstone that would connect to the quick connect gas hoses on RV's. https://propanegear.com/blackstone-17-22-griddle-compatible-rv-quick-connect-12-ft-hose/

I know there are adapters, ect. but I'm looking for other hose options and assume I will keep with the 26 psi.

Anyone have pics of the grill side hose connection?

So are you wanting to change the stove side fitting or the tank side fitting? The stove side fitting you would only get from PS.

I replaced my tank side fitting with one of the quick style acme nuts like you find on modern grills. They don't cost much but are much easier to thread onto a tank than the one PS has on their hoses. It's a simple 1/4" NPT fitting into the regulator.

I ran into some propane issues on my partner stove a while back that led me down the rabbit hole of hoses, fittings, etc. That thread has some pictures and is here but has a lot of discussion and honestly hasn't been concluded.

Mdmeltdown

Scoutman, either way. I only mentioned the Backstone fittings as a solution to change the tank side if that original hose has fitting pressed together.

I am trying to go with a quick connect. I think you already found a solution with there being a 1/4" fitting on the tank side of the regulator. That's what I was looking for in a pic. I haven't found a good pic of the PS hose to see how it all is assembled

Scoutman

Explorer
Scoutman, either way. I only mentioned the Backstone fittings as a solution to change the tank side if that original hose has fitting pressed together.

I am trying to go with a quick connect. I think you already found a solution with there being a 1/4" fitting on the tank side of the regulator. That's what I was looking for in a pic. I haven't found a good pic of the PS hose to see how it all is assembled

Like this? These are 1/4" female NPT fittings on either side of the pressure regulator.
e44c42bc1f80285799378d44e8fa84be.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles