4xe

dcg141

Adventurer
Can't believe there is no chatter about what's possibly a ground breaking overland vehicle. Never understood why hybrids have not been used more in truck applications. My concern would be them having all the bugs worked out.

T-Willy

Can't believe there is no chatter about what's possibly a ground breaking overland vehicle. Never understood why hybrids have not been used more in truck applications. My concern would be them having all the bugs worked out.

Totally agree. 50 MPGe is a big deal for range and efficiency.

Bobzdar

Observer
There's been some chatter, I told my dealer to call me as soon as 4xe gladiators can be ordered. I think the 4xe is a way better package than the hemi. Electric is way more efficient at low speeds so off roading is arguably the killer application for it - I believe they did the entire rubicon trail on electric only in the 4xe wrangler. Going from electric only to max regen and back again would provide amazing range off road compared to gas only. It also provides a nice torque boost for towing.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
The 4xe will be heavier than a diesel powered Gladiator cutting into payload even more.
Range will not be consistent.

We are seeing these issues on Class 6-8 trucks. Actually the Class 8 trucks will be allowed to gross out at 83,000 pounds while a diesel powered Class 8 truck will be stuck at 80,000 pounds. This increase is based on the weight of batteries, motors, cooling systems etc on the trucks vs diesel.

Also a quick comparison. To charge 10 Class 8 semi trucks is equivalent to the power need to supply 1000 average American homes!

MarcusBrody

I'm very interested in it, but more in the Gladiator version than the Wrangler Unlimited. I have a kid/dog taking up the second row, so I want the bigger storage option. Hopefully by the end of year, I'll be able to cross shop (at least with released specs) the Gladiator 4xe with Ranger/Maverick hybrid options.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
There was a discussion happening about it...

autism family travels

I am in ASAP. I want the 4xe for our wrangler, and get a full electric for our other rig. I am hoping Jeep releases something fully electric in the small awd SUV segment with 450km range in Cold climates. Bring it on JEEP!

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I would love it...if it proves as dependable as a non-hybrid vehicle.

To me, out exploring out in the middle of nowhere - a hundred miles from the nearest pavement - dependability is paramount. In all the surveys I've seen, electrical problems are what most people report in any of the newer vehicles...just follow the Jeep forums as I do as a Rubicon owner and its scary how many of these brand spanking new vehicles are leaving their owners stranded, especially the "eTorque" versions. When something goes wrong with a hybrid drivetrain, it is not a trailside fix. It has to be hauled to a dealer with the appropriate diagnostic gear. I can just imagine the problems I'd have getting a towing service into some of the places I take my Jeep.

Still, I would love a simple, dependable, all electric vehicle. Silent - just the sound of the tires on dirt. 500 mile range and I'd be happy.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Neat vehicle. But, build in price is coming north of 60k for non Rubicon for me. That's a lot of dough. And why did Jeep equip these with 20" wheels except for Rubicon?

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Neat vehicle. But, build in price is coming north of 60k for non Rubicon for me. That's a lot of dough. And why did Jeep equip these with 20" wheels except for Rubicon?

It's all about getting the best possible EPA mileage ratings. The less rubber the less rolling resistance. So a solid metal wheel with a tiny strip of rubber on it for traction give the best fuel mileage.

But I'd hate to drive it down a rocky/washboardy dirt road!

T-Willy

I would love it...if it proves as dependable as a non-hybrid vehicle.

To me, out exploring out in the middle of nowhere - a hundred miles from the nearest pavement - dependability is paramount. In all the surveys I've seen, electrical problems are what most people report in any of the newer vehicles...just follow the Jeep forums as I do as a Rubicon owner and its scary how many of these brand spanking new vehicles are leaving their owners stranded, especially the "eTorque" versions. When something goes wrong with a hybrid drivetrain, it is not a trailside fix. It has to be hauled to a dealer with the appropriate diagnostic gear. I can just imagine the problems I'd have getting a towing service into some of the places I take my Jeep.

Still, I would love a simple, dependable, all electric vehicle. Silent - just the sound of the tires on dirt. 500 mile range and I'd be happy.

I share reliability concerns for remote travel. It's paramount. Note, though, the example of Prius, which over its twenty or so years has proven to be a remarkably reliable platform. That provides at least some measure of hope that we can have similarly reliable hybrid platforms for off-road tourers.

T-Willy

The price is difficult to swallow. Hopefully there will be tax credits to help soften the blow--I haven't looked into that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles