Toasty's '98 Montero Build

evomaki

Observer
That is so great. That project would be a wish list type deal for me down the road. I'm just so amazed that you can shoe horn that in there. Gives me hope. With just three jugs running for aft I find the fit a bit snug, and now you're making it fit with 4. Awesome.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
That is so great. That project would be a wish list type deal for me down the road. I'm just so amazed that you can shoe horn that in there. Gives me hope. With just three jugs running for aft I find the fit a bit snug, and now you're making it fit with 4. Awesome.

Well these trucks came with a 4 cylinder option in other countries and a DOHC V6 here in the mid 90's so there's the length and width of a V8 DOHC right? A big V8 would be a challenge, this will be tight but probably not too crazy.

Toasty

I've got the motor mounting solved and this week I'm working on the transmission mounting, again using Mirage motor mounts like i did for the NP241 swap as they've proven a durable inexpensive solution to the ever torn transmission mount problem on the Gen 2.

IMG_20210205_155735_538.jpg20210205_181506.jpg20210205_181938.jpg

Toasty

Got the front of the engine back together last night, replaced LS400 the fan pulley with an idler pulley from a GS 430 for more clearance. Since i don't have room for a mechanical fan i need every bit of room for electrical fans. This idler assembly saved me .5" it's part number is FBT-011.
IMG_20210211_183027_373.jpgIMG_20210211_201928_513.jpg

Toasty

Probably a pair of low profile SPAL fans, space is super limited.

Toasty

I used to have ZERO skills, trying to help guys by documenting and drawing parts.

Toasty

This is on my wish list. Wanted to do an LS but I think this is "easier/cheaper".

Yes. Especially if you did the early 1UZ and 4 speed.
Now there's always getting an LS engine for free from your uncle and just happening to know how to DiY everything could make the LS swap cheaper. I'll tally up the cost of this once i finish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles