1/2 Ton vs 3/4 Ton for Family Adventures?

B^2

Observer
Does anyone know of places where you can rent a 3/4 diesel truck? I figured it would be fun to drive one for a weekend even if it wasn't all loaded down. Same goes for the 1/2 ton trucks I'm looking at.

Rockaway

Does anyone know of places where you can rent a 3/4 diesel truck? I figured it would be fun to drive one for a weekend even if it wasn't all loaded down. Same goes for the 1/2 ton trucks I'm looking at.

Good morning. I’ve been a member of the 1/2 ton truck gang for many years (20years). Great commuter/family hauler/work/fun/haul Four wheel camper truck. My last 1/2 ton was a 2018 F150 xlt FX4 with 3.5l ecoboost. I just traded it in on a New 2020 2500 Dodge Ram diesel tradesman. Why did I do this? 3/4 ton diesel does everything on this list a little bit easier at a cost. The initial cost is about $9500. It’s a long term investment to get the money back. The Ram 2500 has coil suspension on all four wheels. Smoother ride on and off road. If you plan on hauling a heavy trailer, then it may be right move. IF that’s the case I’d go right for the 1 ton. Why? The 1 ton has a more robust transmission and running gear.

Now to answer your last question about driving a diesel truck. The dealership I purchased my truck from allowed me to test drive the truck I bought for a considerable period of time to make sure it was the right purchase for me. I then sat down and went over the options available in that truck. Picked out what I wanted so they could search for it. As it turns out, they were able to come close enough for me to say yes on a new purchase. The dealership relationship is important for me. I hope this helps. Best of luck!!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Couple of questions:

Will this be a weekend only camping mobile or a daily driver as well?

If going with a 1/2 ton will you be selecting a 5'5 or 6'5 box?

Is going with a bigger camper (either slide in or bumper pull) a possibility in the future?

B^2

Observer
Couple of questions:

Will this be a weekend only camping mobile or a daily driver as well?

If going with a 1/2 ton will you be selecting a 5'5 or 6'5 box?

Is going with a bigger camper (either slide in or bumper pull) a possibility in the future?

It will primarily be used on the weekends. We have a subaru outback that we use for most of our daily driving. I'd want the 6'5 box if I went 1/2 ton. I like being able to throw my skis in the bed of the truck without needing to add a roof top box. I'm less concerned about departure angle because I'm not likely to be in situations where the extra foot is a big detractor. A bigger camper may be in the future but it would most likely be a bumper pull not a slide in and not for another few years.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It will primarily be used on the weekends. We have a subaru outback that we use for most of our daily driving. I'd want the 6'5 box if I went 1/2 ton. I like being able to throw my skis in the bed of the truck without needing to add a roof top box. I'm less concerned about departure angle because I'm not likely to be in situations where the extra foot is a big detractor. A bigger camper may be in the future but it would most likely be a bumper pull not a slide in and not for another few years.
In that sense, I would say 3/4 ton.

If a DD 95% of the time and camping mobile 5%, I would have said 1/2 ton.

Even a bumper pull will and tongue weight which will come off your payload total. Maybe a gas 3/4 ton would be something to consider.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I'm a Ram guy but a F-350 crew cab/shortbed would be my choice if I had a family. Probably the gas guzzling 7.3 gas engine with the biggest tank they offer. It'll accommodate a shortbed designed lighter cabover. Mom and the kids will be happy. As the kids grow they'll probably want a tent.

phsycle

Adventurer

I ride 180-190mm skis and had no problems fitting it in the short bed. Just had to angle it a little but PLENTY of room.
Just FYI, if that’s your only reasoning.

I still don’t see a reason to move to a 3/4 ton. You say you’re packing light, not towing or hauling anything. Not sure what would necessitate a 3/4 ton here.

Willsfree

Back in the day I had a 1/2 ton Chevy Z71 1994. I took the kiddos for a couple long trips; packed all the stuff into a cap. Pretty soon I was worn out shlepping all the gear back and forth. I slid a Squire Lance (lightweight camper) in the back with airbags; it was a great improvement for weekend ski trips etc., but everytime I headed up the mountain I wished I had bought a 3/4 or one ton to handle the real world conditions. Now I have a van...AWD for snow days. The iron tent makes for a nice and toasty nest. I recommend a 3/4 ton minimum for when you decide to slide in a 4wCamper in the back.

B^2

Observer
I ride 180-190mm skis and had no problems fitting it in the short bed. Just had to angle it a little but PLENTY of room.
Just FYI, if that’s your only reasoning.

I still don’t see a reason to move to a 3/4 ton. You say you’re packing light, not towing or hauling anything. Not sure what would necessitate a 3/4 ton here.

Usually when I'm packing for ski adventures, I pack all the corresponding gear. By having a decent size bed, I don't necessarily have to toss a ton of gear on top of the skis or the skis on top of the gear. Plus if I ever roll solo and want to sleep in the back with a cap, it's an option.

alanymarce

Where are you planning to go? If you plan to travel outside USA/Canada then the bigger vehicle will be less convenient, in terms of:

- Fuel consumption and range, as well as overall fuel cost

- access to narrow city streets, as well as narrow trails and sand tracks.

Why not a “SUV” - more comfortable than a pick-up?

There are lots of reasons for petrol/gas instead of diesel however no point in repeating them - I'm guessing that this decision is immutable.

B^2

Observer
Where are you planning to go? If you plan to travel outside USA/Canada then the bigger vehicle will be less convenient, in terms of:

- Fuel consumption and range, as well as overall fuel cost

- access to narrow city streets, as well as narrow trails and sand tracks.

Why not a “SUV” - more comfortable than a pick-up?

There are lots of reasons for petrol/gas instead of diesel however no point in repeating them - I'm guessing that this decision is immutable.

I live in California so most of my travel is likely to be on the west coast. Maybe some trips to baja at some point and exploring NV/CO/UT. I've thought about a big SUV but I'm not sure any of the newer ones are my cup of tea. The 4x4 sprinter's are cool but not sure how likely we'd use it to sleep in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles