2021 F150 Towing Capacity Increase on some models

skrypj

Must be a US thing? When I was playing around with the CDN configurator the it was included?
View attachment 641241

View attachment 641238
View attachment 641239

You guys always get the cool stuff! Like HDPP in the Lariat trim!

Yeah i tried twice with both a supercrew and supercab, and when I tried to switch to the 36 gallon tank it was forcing me to drop the 2.7 PP. Upgrading to a 36 gallon tank is not hard though. If I really had my mind set on a 2.7 I could do it myself.

My problem is I am already pushing my 3.5L pretty hard. I live at 6500' in Utah and am towing in WY, UT, and ID usually. If I get into bad conditions, which it seems like its more often than not, even my 3.5L struggles. A 30mph headwind at 7000' and 90°F+ temps puts a hurting on the 3.5L. I am actually thinking about moving up to a 7.3L superduty even though I am only towing a 5500 lb GVWR trailer.

Grassland

I mentioned these non trivial differences between US and Can trucks I think in fireside chat.
The builder came out in the US first so I tried building some trucks and noticed the fuel tank issue and some other deal breaker issues.
I couldn't ever go back to less than a 36 gal tank.

nickw

Adventurer
I dont know exactly what comes on the 2.7 PP trucks, but Ford has 3 different frames that they put under the F150. An LD, HD and HPP. The LD is what you get if you order a 2.7 or 3.3L. The HD comes on the 5.0 and 3.5 trucks. HPP comes on the HDPP trucks. Its possible they don't equipt the 2.7 trucks with the HD frame even if you order the payload package.

The other issue is the CAFE ratings. The GVWR plays a role in the CAFE rating and Ford likely keeps them as low as they can for each configuration. My guess though, is it might just be a marketing decision to keep the 2.7 the same or lower than the 3.5/5.0 trucks.

The other issue with the 2.7 Payload package is that you CANNOT get the 36 gallon gas tank. At least according the to build and price for a supercrew 4x4. That is a deal killer for towing a travel trailer for me. I already sometimes feel like my 36 gallon tank isnt big enough on my 2014. The only way I might consider the 26 gallon tank is if it was a Powerstroke, but even then, i bet it still would not match the range of a 3.5 or 5.0 with the 36 gallon tank.

Regarding 2.7 HDPP and extended range tank, I know you can with a supercab:

1612900629582.png

Looks like they allow it on the SuperCrew for me too:

1612900758544.png

phsycle

Adventurer
The difference is, with XL, you CAN get 2.7PP with 36 gallon tank. For XLT and above, no go. (Given Supercrew 4wd. Maybe for Supercab as well).

nickw

Adventurer
The difference is, with XL, you CAN get 2.7PP with 36 gallon tank. For XLT and above, no go. (Given Supercrew 4wd. Maybe for Supercab as well).
You're right, interesting.....I wish they had a nice sheet showing what the options were vs having to click through it all for 20 minutes getting denied and having it force changes.

phsycle

Adventurer
You're right, interesting.....I wish they had a nice sheet showing what the options were vs having to click through it all for 20 minutes getting denied and having it force changes.

You also have to make sure you’ve got 4x4 selected, as options change. ie, 2.7PP Supercrew + 6.5 bed is available for 2wd but not 4wd.

nickw

Adventurer
You also have to make sure you’ve got 4x4 selected, as options change. ie, 2.7PP Supercrew + 6.5 bed is available for 2wd but not 4wd.
Good call - looks like supercab, 6.5 bed, FX4 can be had with 2.7 PP & big tank at least on the XL....

1612905340638.png

Last edited:

skrypj

Regarding 2.7 HDPP and extended range tank, I know you can with a supercab:

View attachment 641248

Looks like they allow it on the SuperCrew for me too:

View attachment 641249

BTW, i would skip the FX4 package. For $1000 you could get yourself a set of Bilstein 5100's and RCI skids and be doing way better than the FX4 package. At least up until 2020, Ford's shock tuning as been abysmal. Maybe its better for 2021 but I am not holding my breath.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
BTW, i would skip the FX4 package. For $1000 you could get yourself a set of Bilstein 5100's and RCI skids and be doing way better than the FX4 package. At least up until 2020, Ford's shock tuning as been abysmal. Maybe its better for 2021 but I am not holding my breath.
You also get Rock Crawl and Hill descent control.
Capture.PNG

Still waiting for the F150 Tremor to pop up on the configurator.

skrypj

You also get Rock Crawl and Hill descent control.
View attachment 641303

Still waiting for the F150 Tremor to pop up on the configurator.

I am not 100% sure on the 2021's, but I would guess that you can add those with Forscan and a bluetooth OBD adapter. I can add Hill Descent to my 2014 simply by adding the button and turning it on in the IPC module with Forscan.

Aside from the Raptor and its special features, most F150's come preprogrammed with all of the capabilities, its just a matter of flipping a switch to activate the feature.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I am not 100% sure on the 2021's, but I would guess that you can add those with Forscan and a bluetooth OBD adapter. I can add Hill Descent to my 2014 simply by adding the button and turning it on in the IPC module with Forscan.

Aside from the Raptor and its special features, most F150's come preprogrammed with all of the capabilities, its just a matter of flipping a switch to activate the feature.
Yes, I've heard that for some features. Wish it were that way for the heated seats and remote start...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior