New Defender News

Carson G

That has been a problem with quite a few Youtube reviews as well. Land Rover Aus didn't seem to have a manual in the press cars and a few people struggled with changing the 4x4 system. And of you need a manual to change the 4x4 modes it's way to difficult.
It’s literally one button and a knob to change the 4wd modes. Press the button then twist the knob to the mode you want. If that’s hard you have zero business operating any vehicle let alone driving a 4wd off road.

TOUGE

It’s literally one button and a knob to change the 4wd modes. Press the button then twist the knob to the mode you want. If that’s hard you have zero business operating any vehicle let alone driving a 4wd off road.

Ronny Dalh had issues but I doubt the he has driven any LR other than an old Defender. I can't find who the test was I watched from a UK review. Reviewers may only get a day, maybe two with the press cars and I hardly doubt they are going read the manual for every car they drive. They should, to give everything a fair review.

I personly don't think the new system if very hard at all but I do believe that it should have been a dedicated knob like the Disco3/4 and then a button for extra settings in the menu.

DieselRanger

That has been a problem with quite a few Youtube reviews as well. Land Rover Aus didn't seem to have a manual in the press cars and a few people struggled with changing the 4x4 system. And of you need a manual to change the 4x4 modes it's way to difficult.
I don't know - my LR dealer offered a 2-hour one-on-one session with my Discovery 5 to go through everything - the pressers aren't getting that benefit, they are probably getting a 15-minute orientation, if that. The Land Rover iGuide is the manual now - there's no "book" - and it's available on your phone, and it will walk you through configuration of stuff with a visual mode that shows the dash and lets you tap on items to get information on it.

When I test drove the Defender, I spent maybe 5 minutes fiddling with the drive modes and I had it figured out - while the interface is different than the knob on my D5, the symbols are the same. There's one button you press on the dash - a physical button in between the two climate knobs - that pops up the menu on the screen, then you turn the left climate control knob to select the mode, and there are menu buttons across the bottom for customizing steering, throttle, and differential behavior. There are still physical buttons to control ride height as well.

I think most people who will buy a Defender for its intended purpose will get used to it pretty quickly.

DieselRanger

Certainly much easier than getting out, locking hubs, manually disconnecting sway bars, adjusting spring rates on springs, and so on. How many people under 40 "just know" how to do that today?

TOUGE

I don't know - my LR dealer offered a 2-hour one-on-one session with my Discovery 5 to go through everything - the pressers aren't getting that benefit, they are probably getting a 15-minute orientation, if that. The Land Rover iGuide is the manual now - there's no "book" - and it's available on your phone, and it will walk you through configuration of stuff with a visual mode that shows the dash and lets you tap on items to get information on it.

When I test drove the Defender, I spent maybe 5 minutes fiddling with the drive modes and I had it figured out - while the interface is different than the knob on my D5, the symbols are the same. There's one button you press on the dash - a physical button in between the two climate knobs - that pops up the menu on the screen, then you turn the left climate control knob to select the mode, and there are menu buttons across the bottom for customizing steering, throttle, and differential behavior. There are still physical buttons to control ride height as well.

I think most people who will buy a Defender for its intended purpose will get used to it pretty quickly.

If Land Rover were smart they would do that with press and reviewers. I don’t know the exact situation for every reviewer and their interactions with Land Rover.

If I reviewer I would want to know know about every feature and the easiest way to learn in get taught from the cars manufacturer. And then go test the vehicle in real world scenarios.

Some reviews feel like that want to car to fail, so they don’t learn how to use the features properly or use them in the wrong scenarios.

JeepColorado

Shouldn't technology makes things easier?

Like having a button to push to disconnect the sway bar, a toggle to select rear or front & rear lockers?

Did anyone else notice that the screen went black on them for several hours and they were stuck in whatever settings they were in- that could be very problematic.

Attachments

• IMG_1791.jpg
    IMG_1791.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 34

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Shouldn't technology makes things easier?

Like having a button to push to disconnect the sway bar, a toggle to select rear or front & rear lockers?

Did anyone else notice that the screen went black on them for several hours and they were stuck in whatever settings they were in- that could be very problematic.
But remember, we've been told problems like that are no big deal, you just need to turn the vehicle off and on again, nothing to see here folks.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
It would be nice to see more reviews from long term users rather than the "how it is to live with" videos that everyone is making. I am hopeful.

A.J.M

Explorer
70057F07-D0DE-450D-BAB1-58195517AA68.jpeg
The owner of this one has done almost 12,000 miles in it.
It’s a P400 SE.

He’s very happy with it.
hasn’t had any problems with it and it’s had a few software updates.
It’s been up the Dalton last year in a 4000 mile trip.
He said the other day on the fb group that it started fine in -30 so that’s reassuring I guess.

A.J.M

Explorer
Have spoke to two more owners.

One I see often as he lives near me.
Basic Betty 5 seats and a steering wheel D200 base model in white with white steels.
8000 miles with no issues bar the A pillar cracking noise which was fixed.

Another has 10,000 miles on his D240 SE, again, A pillar trim and one reset of the Pivi Pro. No other issues.

both have had a few over the air software updates which have improved the Pivi Pro.

Both are very happy with their Defenders.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
View attachment 640735
The owner of this one has done almost 12,000 miles in it.
It’s a P400 SE.

He’s very happy with it.
hasn’t had any problems with it and it’s had a few software updates.
It’s been up the Dalton last year in a 4000 mile trip.
He said the other day on the fb group that it started fine in -30 so that’s reassuring I guess.
Well every new car starts in -30.... I can imagine the collective sigh when it started...lol.

A.J.M

Explorer
Depends on your region I guess.

its never went as cold as that ever in Scotland.
Lowest is -26.
Personally -17 is the lowest I’ve seen.
Which caused plenty of cars on my street to not start during the coldest of that winter.
I’ve never seen the temps go below -10 in 11 years though.

My Td4 freelander always fired up that winter, keeping it’s tank topped up meant it always had good winter grade diesel in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles