Tagging trailers in a non-required state

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Question for you dudes:

Here in Tennessee, as with other states, we are not required to license plate trailers that are single axles and under a certain weight. There are some caveats, but for this question, lets just keep it simple.

I have a M416 and use it way more than I thought I would, but I don't have tags for it and really don't plan to.

But, a few other states require tags. I've had mine to GA and KY a few times and I think GA requires, but I have never been stopped.

So my question to this is: If I am not required to have tags in Tennessee and am traveling to or though a state that requires them for a trailer, how is that handled if a cop decided to pull me over?

24a2eb18-16c0-41a2-b9d9-09d51828108d-jpeg.639594

billiebob

traveling to or though a state that requires them for a trailer, how is that handled if a cop decided to pull me over?
He'll ticket you.... unless he's a nice guy ignoring his states law. PERIOD.

Jurisdiction is the rule. Maybe you can open carry in your home state, don't cross international borders tho.

Teardropper

He'll ticket you....

This retired LEO disagrees with you. As I indicated above, the front license plate issue. Thirty-one states require one. Nineteen don't.

Officers working drug interdiction look for lawful reasons to stop vehicles that fit the profile they're focusing on. They either memorize the nineteen or keep a list on their visors. If they pull a car over without a front tag from a state that doesn't require one, and the guy's holding, he'll walk.

T

billiebob

This retired LEO disagrees with you. As I indicated above, the front license plate issue. Thirty-one states require one. Nineteen don't.

Officers working drug interdiction look for lawful reasons to stop vehicles that fit the profile they're focusing on. They either memorize the nineteen or keep a list on their visors. If they pull a car over without a front tag from a state that doesn't require one, and the guy's holding, he'll walk.

T
totally different, front tag or not, the vehicle is registered and insured,,,, but yeah, have at 'er... pretty sure they saw you coming.

displacedtexan

He'll ticket you.... unless he's a nice guy ignoring his states law. PERIOD.

Jurisdiction is the rule. Maybe you can open carry in your home state, don't cross international borders tho.
Carry is different from vehicle regulations...

I've been pulled over numerous times in Texas for no front plate and no trailer plate. Not a single ticket.

Usually gotten an apology for the inconvenience, and good wishes for the rest of my trip.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
In Tennessee if you have a farm or commercial "Weight Tag" license plate on your vehicle with a stated GVWR of over 8500# or greater you are supposed to run it on the front of your vehicle. We are a single tag state. That really pisses the other state LEO's off! Texas especially likes that when they pull you over for no rear tag. You show the LEO the TN state registration statue where the tag goes on the front of the vehicle and they just scratch their head!

Of course they always want to know why put the tag on the front of your vehicle?

Any 10K lb or greater GVWR none RV vehicle is supposed to cross the scale in TN. No body does with dually's and other trucks like that. If you do cross the scale the weight man wants to know that you have enough tag for your total load weight. With the tag on the front it's easy for the weight man at the scale to see. Now being a private vehicle and having a weight tag I never stop at the scale since I am not hauling for commerce and I have a none commercial "Farm" weighted tag on my dually. They have never chased me down for not stopping. That's what I have been told to do by several TN trooper's/weight men as they don't want a bunch of small vehicles clogging up the scales even though they technically should cross the scale. They also say "If you look commercial or smell commercial" that's when they git interested.

I have actually just went ahead and mounted my tag on the rear of the truck for convenience. Technically not mounted where it should be however I have not been pulled over since I made the switch in TN or anywhere else.

jadmt

ignore button user
most states have reciprocity when it comes to Motor vehicle registration laws. In Montana you would not get a ticket if your state did not require a plate on a trailer as long as you were licensed in that state and just visiting or just driving through. Now if you were gainfully employed that is a different situation. heck with Covid even if you lived in the state you would not get stopped :). The state DMV is so far behind it is more common to see expired registrations than to see current ones.

Binksman

Observer
I grew up in TN and half family lives there. Dad has had a 3 rail motorcycle trailer since 1990 that meets all the requirements for not needing a title- >3000 lbs, single axle. That trailer has been all over the eastern US and probably has 500,000 miles on it. None of us have EVER gotten a trailer related ticket while towing it. Only one time an LEO ever even asked about it and he wished us well after checking the tow vehicle for TN registration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles