2021 F150 Raptor... optional 37's and optional V8 coming...

D

Deleted member 9101

you realize that until recently in the limited, the 3.5 in the raptor is different than the 3.5 in any other Ford vehicle, right?

There are not “millions” of the 3.5 H.O. Motor out there.

what do you do for work that your company bought 10 raptors as fleet trucks?

I am well aware that my brothers 2019 Limited has the same motor as a Raptor and that previous years did not. The 3.5 HO is not that much differant than the regular 3.5; pistons, turbos, and programming are the main differences.

My comment about "millions" was about all EcoBoost F150s, not specifically to the Raptor.

We had 2013 XL F150s, not Raptors. There are some agencies that do use Raptors.

Last edited by a moderator:

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
what do you do for work that your company bought 10 raptors as fleet trucks?

The Navy. We just bought a bunch of SeaDoos as well. (and I'm not talking about my personal one either).

Exactly. They don't realize that the 2.7/3.5 are not nearly as forgiving as older V8s when it comes to maintaince.

Exactly. Mine I usually run for about 5 to 6k between changes, but if I had the Raptor w/ 3.5 EB I'd be much more strict window of like 4900 to 5100 miles. It needs just a tiny bit extra care and it can be a wonderful truck.

D

Deleted member 9101

The Navy. We just bought a bunch of SeaDoos as well. (and I'm not talking about my personal one either).

Exactly. Mine I usually run for about 5 to 6k between changes, but if I had the Raptor w/ 3.5 EB I'd be much more strict window of like 4900 to 5100 miles. It needs just a tiny bit extra care and it can be a wonderful truck.

I find it funny that that Ford has a 10k oil change interval with semi-synthedic, but when I sent my oil to Blackstone Labs they said not go over 7.5k with fully synthedic. I change it every 5k just to make it easy to keep track of.

plumber mike

Adventurer
I love the 10 spd in my 2020 F250 Tremor. I had a 75 mile commute (each way) today and got about 17 mpg going 70+ mph... And I have 37x12.5 Ridge Grapplers on it..
Did you do any tuning? Mine short shifts and gear skips terribly. I’ve been running tow/haul mode all the time to get it using the gears without over using them. I could see it having a short life programmed the way it is. Manual mode is ok, but an actual manual with a clutch would really help the efficiency and longevity. Pipe dreams.....it’s all in the computer now.
I’m thinking of trying 5 star as I don’t know much about Fords. I may also disconnect the battery and try to get it to relearn while driving a little differently.
It’s not as bad as the 68r in the Ram, but it’s no where near as good as the ZF6 in my last Ford truck.

It’s a 2021 F350 4x4 7.3 3.73.
I’ve had 11 years to get over the loss of good transmissions. The manual option on the Bronco still leaves me a teensy glimmer of hope that some day in a super special options world, I might be able to get another. If it had 37's, that'd be ok too.

D

Deleted member 9101

Did you do any tuning? Mine short shifts and gear skips terribly. I’ve been running tow/haul mode all the time to get it using the gears without over using them. I could see it having a short life programmed the way it is. Manual mode is ok, but an actual manual with a clutch would really help the efficiency and longevity. Pipe dreams.....it’s all in the computer now.
I’m thinking of trying 5 star as I don’t know much about Fords. I may also disconnect the battery and try to get it to relearn while driving a little differently.
It’s not as bad as the 68r in the Ram, but it’s no where near as good as the ZF6 in my last Ford truck.

I’ve had 11 years to get over the loss of good transmissions. The manual option on the Bronco still leaves me a teensy glimmer of hope that some day in a super special options world, I might be able to get another. If it had 37's, that'd be ok too.

- They are designed to skip gears. Most of the time it doesn't need all 10 gears, thus it doesn't use them.

- The tranny learns your driving style, if you drive like a grandpa it will shift like one ;-)

- Have the dealer reflash it. Many times that solves the problem.

- 5* Tuning is a really good company. They probably have the most experience with the 7.3/10 speed combo. IIRC there is a video of a 5* Tuned 7.3 pulling a heavy trailer up a pretty nasty grade.

phsycle

Adventurer
:ROFLMAO: People seem to love arguing oil, I just change mine "too much" and don't need to argue about it. Call it recreational maintenance, call it my zen moment. I can roll under the truck with a creeper 100% relaxed, poke around at bushings and heat shields and stuff, maybe do a little cleaning. Feels good man.

I've never had cable TV, the last game console I bought was a Playstation 2 and even that was used.. so I buy twice as much motor oil as I maybe need to. Cool.

Y'all do what you want it's your money, your time and your vehicle.

Feel free to come find zen under my cars at any time. I’ll even buy the oil.

Routine maintenance is a chore for me. Fun stuff like installing a lift, rack, little mods like Ram mounts and cb radio install. That I don’t mind.
But “Recreational maintenance?” Naaa. Oxymoron.

plumber mike

Adventurer
- They are designed to skip gears. Most of the time it doesn't need all 10 gears, thus it doesn't use them.

- The tranny learns your driving style, if you drive like a grandpa it will shift like one ;-)

- Have the dealer reflash it. Many times that solves the problem.

- 5* Tuning is a really good company. They probably have the most experience with the 7.3/10 speed combo. IIRC there is a video of a 5* Tuned 7.3 pulling a heavy trailer up a pretty nasty grade.
Thanks. The dealer is likely not who I want to help. If they can't make the seatbelt chime go away, I've got little faith they'd improve my shift points....or line pressure.
Computers are wonderful, but they don't yet know the amount of payload, wind speed, or elevation changes on the horizon. Without the additional information, they will never be as good. I get a chuckle from those claiming using cruise control gets the best MPG. It just can't. It does not have enough information, and is unwilling to vary the speed based upon variables it can't calculate.

Manual mode is alright, but a little slow to respond. Maybe instead of Eco mode, it could have Grandpa mode and grandson mode. I did drive pretty conservative for the first 500 miles breaking in as per the manual. Maybe the next 500 should be bouncing off the limiter. It's a honey of a big block. Good power for a gasser, and surprisingly looks very easy to maintain.

Trixxx

As mentioned above, it’s supposed to skip gears as needed. If it was frequently going 1-10 and back down it’d be shifting like crazy. I’d bet if you didn’t have the gear I did stop showing you wouldn’t even notice the skipping.

I leave it on normal unless I’m towing. When I drive it hard (pretty rare) it has tons of power and shifts like I think it should. Same for normal driving.

There have been periods where I, like you, stared at the gear indicator too much and thought there was some sort issue.

When I switched to 37’s I had to “relearn” a bit as well. After a few hundred miles it felt the same. Have a couple thousand on them now.

Remember, you have a factory 100k power train warranty. If there’s something wrong it’ll likely go out before that period. I’d guess it’s fine though.

D

Deleted member 9101

Thanks. The dealer is likely not who I want to help. If they can't make the seatbelt chime go away, I've got little faith they'd improve my shift points....or line pressure.

Well...they are kind of your only choice...lol.

You can go with an aftermarket tune, but that would be at the expense of your warranty. Just have them "reflash" it, or if it's like the F150s there is a relearn procedure that clears out the driving data and resets the system.

Also, new automatics react faster to changes than any manual could ever hope to.

D

Deleted member 9101

When I switched to 37’s I had to “relearn” a bit as well. After a few hundred miles it felt the same. Have a couple thousand on them now.

Is resetting the tire size via Forscan an option? It made an instant difference in my F150.

Grassland

I change my full synthetic oil at 8000 KM (ish) and use a Ford filter.
I've yet to drive an 8 or 10 speed in a truck but our 8 speed WK2 doesn't seem too much different than driving a 6, it's the touchy brake pedal and long travel gas I don't care for.
In my old WJ it had two different 2nd gears, one for up shift and one for down.
I'd try a tune and see how u like it. I wanted to punch the dash and engineer or accountant who programmed my F150 from the factory. Then even a canned SCT tune with shifting set to firmer made a world of difference.
As a note I don't have select shift in the F150 so can't lock out gears when towing which sucks. I have it in my Transit tho.

D

Deleted member 9101

I change my full synthetic oil at 8000 KM (ish) and use a Ford filter.
I've yet to drive an 8 or 10 speed in a truck but our 8 speed WK2 doesn't seem too much different than driving a 6, it's the touchy brake pedal and long travel gas I don't care for.
In my old WJ it had two different 2nd gears, one for up shift and one for down.
I'd try a tune and see how u like it. I wanted to punch the dash and engineer or accountant who programmed my F150 from the factory. Then even a canned SCT tune with shifting set to firmer made a world of difference.
As a note I don't have select shift in the F150 so can't lock out gears when towing which sucks. I have it in my Transit tho.

Time to upgrade ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier