Ram 5500 Fire Crew Carrier Overlanding Camper Build

rruff

Explorer
I'm working on getting the truck registered as an RV (currently reg as commerical). In AZ, you need 4 of 6 listed requirements for the RV inspection to pass.
Here's the list I found. These items have to be permanently installed:
1.) A cooking facility with on board fuel source <- Induction cooktop
2.) A gas or electric fridge <- cooler fridge is not built-in and may not qualify
3.) Toilet with exterior evacuation <- Cassette toilet won't qualify
4.) Heating or air conditioner separate from engine <- diesel heater installed
5.) Potable water supply with sink, faucet, and water tank with exterior service connection <- working on it
6. ) A 110-125v electric power supply. <- Need to purchase and install

Wow... I have zero of those. Are commercial and RV your only options? What's the cost difference?

OverlandFT

Wow... I have zero of those. Are commercial and RV your only options? What's the cost difference?

Yeah, because it's a chassis truck over 9k lbs, it's registered as commercial in AZ. Converting to an RV is the only option I found as an alternative. I'm not sure on the cost difference, but other advantages to making it an RV are being exempt from weight stations and getting RV insurance.

redruby

Loved the information it was great. I just purchased a 2021 Ram 5500 4x4 with the 120c/a and getting a 16’x7’x7’ box built and having it frame mounted and then start on the interior. I’m in Phx and would love to come by and see what you did

OverlandFT

Loved the information it was great. I just purchased a 2021 Ram 5500 4x4 with the 120c/a and getting a 16’x7’x7’ box built and having it frame mounted and then start on the interior. I’m in Phx and would love to come by and see what you did

Awesome, congrats on the purchase! You'll be able to make a nice living space in a 16' box whereas my truck has a 9' box and it limits the interior options.

You're welcome to come by to check out the truck. I've slowed down working on it recently, but still have it at the house every other weekend. Just let me know and we'll go from there!

kmacafee

Adventurer
I'm working on getting the truck registered as an RV (currently reg as commerical). In AZ, you need 4 of 6 listed requirements for the RV inspection to pass.

Here's the list I found. These items have to be permanently installed:
1.) A cooking facility with on board fuel source <- Induction cooktop
2.) A gas or electric fridge <- cooler fridge is not built-in and may not qualify
3.) Toilet with exterior evacuation <- Cassette toilet won't qualify
4.) Heating or air conditioner separate from engine <- diesel heater installed
5.) Potable water supply with sink, faucet, and water tank with exterior service connection <- working on it
6. ) A 110-125v electric power supply. <- Need to purchase and install

With that said, I recently decided to install an induction cooktop and sink on top of butcher block countertops. I had to split up the sink and cooktop to accommodate the infrastructure and leave enough room for a future seat/table. I also painted the interior white with oil based enamel and am pretty happy with the outcome. This was a few weeks worth of weekend work, I'm just slow to update! :D

View attachment 633097
View attachment 633101
View attachment 633098
View attachment 633099
With regards to the cassette toilet, in my camper I access the cassette from outside the camper to empty it. Does that qualify or do you need waste to exit through a hose? Seems an odd requirement given the many RVs with cassette and compost toilets.

OverlandFT

With regards to the cassette toilet, in my camper I access the cassette from outside the camper to empty it. Does that qualify or do you need waste to exit through a hose? Seems an odd requirement given the many RVs with cassette and compost toilets.

I'll be sure to ask when I get the inspection done. You only need 4 of 6 items listed, so it's reasonable to say a cassette toilet won't qualify and still easily be able to have four other qualifying modifications.

cre1992

Awesome rig and build! Someday maybe I'll have one like it.

Could you post some more photos of the sliding rear tire carrier?

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Make sure to take a copy of the AZ statute with you when you go for an inspection. I have had to use it as a discussion point for 2 of my previous changes from commercial to RV.

ckouba

....so it's reasonable to say a cassette toilet won't qualify...

While I don't disagree with your logic, the DMV inspectors in my home state are not that astute. If you merely pointed out that you have a toilet "installed" they may not even notice the difference. I wouldn't hesitate to use it, but has already been pointed out, with the other items on the list, it shouldn't be too high of a hurdle to clear if they do object.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
While I don't disagree with your logic, the DMV inspectors in my home state are not that astute. If you merely pointed out that you have a toilet "installed" they may not even notice the difference. I wouldn't hesitate to use it, but has already been pointed out, with the other items on the list, it shouldn't be too high of a hurdle to clear if they do object.
In one of my encounters I ran the rear ac on the way to get it inspected. When she asked about AC/Heat I turned the fan on and she felt the cold air and checked that box. That was after having to give her the statute because it couldn’t be an RV because it didn’t have a shower. ?‍♀️

also for reference they do accept double sidedtape as permanently attached.

Third

Awesome build !

I saw several of these (2002 Fords with the 7.3 diesel) and was pushing my buddy to snag one.

I wish I had seen this to show him (he's going to regret missing out).

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94