2022 Land Cruiser 300 series

4x4tripping

Adventurer
Gross vehicle weight ratings involve more than just springs. Operating over GVWR capacity risks poor performance, broken or prematurely worn parts, and legal liability in the case of an accident.

Springs and dampers.

overland-vehicle-preparation-overlanding-fahrzeugumbau-offroad-tips-erfahrungen-r%25C3%25BCckblick.JPG

TransAfrica-Flyer.jpg

The Land Cruiser 200 is also sold as 5.1to armored car? Same Axles, same frame.

And did you see my trips through africa, south america, Iceland and europe with a AHC suspension based Land Cruiser 200 (european specs)?

The vehicle is now over 8 Years and did pass the 68`000 miles (110`000km) on the clock. Over the past years we did live over an year inside of our Landcruiser.

It is depending on your country, how the GVWR is rated, and how far you can legalize it. Australia at sample allows till 3865 kg.

My travel weight is above the aussi limit named above, if fully restocked (fuel, water, food & drinks for 14days)...

My advise is always to travel legal, but a landcruiser 200 can handle more without issues...

T-Willy

It is depending on your country, how the GVWR is rated, and how far you can legalize it. Australia at sample allows till 3865 kg.

My travel weight is above the aussi limit named above, if fully restocked (fuel, water, food & drinks for 14days)...

My advise is always to travel legal, but a landcruiser 200 can handle more without issues...

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

It's always seemed to me that the Australian rules are the best conservative guide as to how far one can safely increase GVW. That is, they seem carefully consider how much different vehicles can handle. For the U.S. spec 200, the Australian rule allows a gain of about 1100 lbs of payload, though, in the U.S., one would still risk liability if fully loaded in an accident.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Well like I said before, people always want what they can't have, myself included. The news of their demise here in the states has certainly brought on a buying frenzy in recent months.

nickw

Adventurer
I'll take a new 79 series from Australia.
Still available with some modern conveniences.
V8 Turbo diesel, 5 speed manual or 6 speed automatic.
Earthcruiser came out with a nice setup for one.
It could very well be the last vehicle I'd ever have to buy.

Thats cool and unobtanium (without doubt) here domestically, but what advantage does that have over a std. cab domestic 1-ton pickup with a sim camper?

1612392029878.png

I'd do smaller tires (personally)...but I think what you want exists functionally (if not better) in the market now...

The new Earthcruiser Terranova is another cool option...

RoyJ

Adventurer
Gross vehicle weight ratings involve more than just springs. Operating over GVWR capacity risks poor performance, broken or prematurely worn parts, and legal liability in the case of an accident.

Yes, but, installing a lift kit, oversized tires, offroad bumpers also "risks poor performance, broken or prematurely worn parts, and legal liability in the case of an accident."

Yet we all do it. It's part of the risk of this hobby.

Believe me, any of our modified rigs would fail an OEM validation test spectacularly.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Thats cool and unobtanium (without doubt) here domestically, but what advantage does that have over a std. cab domestic 1-ton pickup with a sim camper?

View attachment 640289

I'd do smaller tires (personally)...but I think what you want exists functionally (if not better) in the market now...

Funny enough, I know Aussies that would absolutely drool over our 400+ hp diesel "utes", with solid axles, that can legally tow a 17 ton "caravan".

We sure do love to lust over unobtanium, even when we have it better.

nickw

Adventurer
Funny enough, I know Aussies that would absolutely drool over our 400+ hp diesel "utes", with solid axles, that can legally tow a 17 ton "caravan".

We sure do love to lust over unobtanium, even when we have it better.
Totally - there was a YouTube vid not long ago with an Ausie firm modding 1-Ton Rams with Traybacks, more payload, more power, prob sim reliability, more space, more capable, etc....sounded like it was pretty much better all around than std. 70 - series ute for desert, towing & traveling....

Last time I was in Melbourne (2 yrs ago) I saw a Raptor which go for big $$ there and folks were going crazy over it.....I have one in my neighborhood and see a handful each day here domestically....but if I saw a newer clean stock 70-series I'd probably be the one taking pictures.

tacollie

Glamper
Totally - there was a YouTube vid not long ago with an Ausie firm modding 1-Ton Rams with Traybacks, more payload, more power, prob sim reliability, more space, more capable, etc....sounded like it was pretty much better all around than std. 70 - series ute for desert, towing & traveling....

Last time I was in Melbourne (2 yrs ago) I saw a Raptor which go for big $$ there and folks were going crazy over it.....I have one in my neighborhood and see a handful each day here domestically....but if I saw a newer clean stock 70-series I'd probably be the one taking pictures.
I was visiting my brother in New Zealand a few years ago and he introduced me to a friend of his that has a diesel Toyota shop. It was funny. I said "you get the cool diesel Hilux and LCs." He said "you get the 4.0 Tacomas that have the TRD supercharger!" The grass is always greener.

I really like my Superduty but I still drool over Land Cruisers.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I was visiting my brother in New Zealand a few years ago and he introduced me to a friend of his that has a diesel Toyota shop. It was funny. I said "you get the cool diesel Hilux and LCs." He said "you get the 4.0 Tacomas that have the TRD supercharger!" The grass is always greener.

I really like my Superduty but I still drool over Land Cruisers.

You couldn't have said it any better. The grass is always greener but no one ever tells you that it's just as hard to mow lol.

When I had my Super Duty's and Power Wagon I was always longing for a Land Cruiser or 4Runner and the opposite is true now. That said, I am pretty happy with the pair that I have currently and I plan to hang on to both for a while. Diesels are fantastic but they are also more expensive, heavier and have giant targets on their back with our EPA. My only hope for the future of commercial diesels here in the states is for diesel over electric technology to enter the market here in the near future.

dunhammrocco

Personally, I am a big Land Cruiser enthusiast and own an 82 FJ40, 88 FJ62 and 16 200 Series along with my 4Runner and 84 Toyota pickup.The 4Runner is a better bang for the buck, but owning both, my 2020 4Runner Limited pales in comparison to my 2016 Land Cruiser. Android Auto is the only feature the 4Runner has the Cruiser does not. The power, fit and feel are better on the Cruiser (as it should be for double the cost). The Cruiser is overbuilt, and that is the reason it has a loyal following despite its window sticker and outdated electronics. Before getting a vehicle, I always read reviews on https://big-motoring-world.pissedconsumer.com/review.html

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic

View attachment 640289

What advantage does it have? I find this to be completely crazy question. They aren't even in the same ballpark. A Landcruiser can be a daily driver, park in a garage, haul your family or your elderly parents in comfort to the doctor's office, did I mention daily driver? What you've posted above is the opposite. A rough riding, huge expedition rig. Party of 2, max. You aren't going to drive that to the office and you are never going to want to feed and water it as a daily or anything near it........unless you happen to live in the desert and commute 100 miles offroad to work.

Don't get me wrong, I love both platforms but for completely different jobs and completely different reasons.

nickw

Adventurer
What advantage does it have? I find this to be completely crazy question. They aren't even in the same ballpark. A Landcruiser can be a daily driver, park in a garage, haul your family or your elderly parents in comfort to the doctor's office, did I mention daily driver? What you've posted above is the opposite. A rough riding, huge expedition rig. Party of 2, max. You aren't going to drive that to the office and you are never going to want to feed and water it as a daily or anything near it........unless you happen to live in the desert and commute 100 miles offroad to work.

Don't get me wrong, I love both platforms but for completely different jobs and completely different reasons.
I was comparing these two rigs in the post you quoted:
1616085897723.png1616085923609.png

Functionally they look the same to me, single cab, heavy duty, rough riding, solid axle, poor gas mileage offroad rigs, what I missing? The Landcruiser above doesn't meet any of the requirements you speak of, it may get slightly better MPG, may be a few inches shorter, I doubt any lower and sucks at all the other things you point out just as bad as the dodge does.

Sounds like you are suggesting the domestic 200 series?

86scotty

Cynic
I was comparing these two rigs in the post you quoted:
View attachment 648920View attachment 648921

Sounds like you are suggesting the domestic 200 series?

Correct, I thought you were comparing a standard 200 series cruiser to the bit domestic flatbed/FWC creations. My fault. I haven't followed this whole thread. Sorry for the confusion.

I agree with you, given the choice between the two vehicles you pictured I'd go with the domestic but I'd go with a gas motor for simplicity. An E or F series chassis cab with the 7.3l gas would be my chosen starting point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94