Ram Powerwagon vs Chevy Colorado vs Jeep Wrangler Rubicon vs Suzuki Samurai for Snow?

Humvee4us

Good afternoon,
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with pretty snowy hill climbs with different types of vehicles such as a Ram Powerwagon, a Chevy Colorado ZR2, a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, and a Suzuki Samurai?
I'm curious to know if weight makes a difference when climbing snowy hills. I've heard that heavy vehicles get stuck on snowy hill climbs much more easily than lighter vehicle. I've never tested it myself so I'm wondering if this is true? So the Ram Powerwagon would get stuck much more easily than a Chevy Colorado but a Suzuki Samurai would out climb a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon?

ScottPC

I don't have experience with all of those vehicles. So much depends on the actual conditions in question. However, I do have a 4D Jeep Rubicon and a full size Chevy. With the same type of tire, I would think that having a balanced vehicle, with clearance, and with lockers would perform best in a deep snow hill climb. I'd put my money on the Rubicon with 35s. It would be fun to watch a test like this!

billiebob

weight makes little difference
traction is all it is about
winter tires win
chains trump everything

full lockers help but once you are chained up even open difs do well
keck even chained 2WD will beat anything without chains.

But first thing, buy dedicated winter tires

heres 30 tires, 8 tires driving, all locked and chained up 130,000 pounds
this was his 4th run, previous runs he spun out before the light post. It is all about steady as she goes and restraint on the loud pedal

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Very difficult to give a definitive answer. We live in the Rockies and can experience significant amounts of different types of snow. Generally speaking all our 4wds (listed below) will do well with new BFG AT's. I've had studded tires that worked incredibly well without the hassle of putting chains on. I have chains for several of our trucks and am always amazed how far I can get until I'm stuck....again. Lockers are nice but, they seem to cause more of a problem then open diffs and their selectability in the snow. In the end, if the snow is deep enough or the hill steep enough no amount of lockers, chains, studded tires, snow tires, HP, etc will get you out, so use your head and experience and be prepared.......goodluck!

Samurai towing a 4wd tractor up icy hill
C8C50FC3-4DFE-4E85-82CA-FEE3FC06E1F6.jpeg

Normal winter storm
ECEE509F-E63E-4441-902B-71452813F2D2.jpeg

Cross knobbies off your traction list
1586CCE1-F2E5-4CFF-B562-3CC4043404FB.jpeg

Normal stuckage in the mountains....so weight didn't help due to riding up on top of the snow.
0B147C50-BE8D-4129-B755-D63FD975309C.jpeg

billiebob

But without chains or winter tires does weigh matter significantly?
no, you want weight over the driving tires but with 4WD a heavy or a light 4x4 might be equal. skinny tires are definitely better for control in winter, the last thing you need is floatation. Traction in snow is all about packing snow into the tread like making a snowball and not spinning the tires. A heavy vehicle will track straighter. A light vehicle will be easier to push.

IMG_2118.jpg

Not stuck I stopped for the picture, backed up 5' and kept going. Winter tires made the difference.

DSC_0003.jpeg

On a hill once you lose traction and spin out gravity wins and you can expect to be in the ditch real fast.

Last edited:

sargeek

Adventurer
Way too many variables to make a claim like that. At work, we have an almost identical 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 PK; 5.3-liter engine.

Truck #1 - Big O AT/T Tires - Stock.

Truck #2 - BFG KO2; Camper Shell and normal everyday cargo: Highlift Jack, Shovel, Tire Chains*2, 2 tie-down chains w/ binders, come-along, recovery kit, 3 receivers, etc. (This is about 500 - 800 pounds of kit) + the shell.

Truck #2 is a beast in the snow compared to truck #1. Truck #1 has not as much weight over the rear axle so it struggles to get traction. This is especially noticeable when you put a trailer behind the trucks and expect them to go up a hill. The red neck fix for Truck #1 is to fill the bed with snow and then it will perform.

I currently get the fun of driving a 2020 Power Wagon. I have yet to put the PW through serious snow, but if I was stuck on I-70 during attempting to make it up the west approach of Eisenhower Tunne (8% grade) - I would take Truck #2 over the stock PW. Why - Truck #2 has less horsepower, and less gearing - you will be able to apply power, and not worry about the tire breaking traction. The extra weight over the rear axles will help prevent the tires from spinning losing traction.

Watch all the diesel pick-up trucks with empty beds. The giant diesel engine over the front along with the large amounts of torque forces makes it extremely easy for the back end to break loose. I have known people who have to use 4x4 in the rain because the back end wants to break loose all the time.

The goal for the next 6 months is to get the PW fitted for Colorado winters. Off-road in the snow - the PW has a definite advantage. The way to do this is upfit it with the things you need and want to carry.

In stock form - I would think the vehicles would perform as follows on road in slick conditions: Jeep, Samurai, Power Wagon, Colorado.

Off-road stock: Jeep, Power Wagon, Samurai, Colorado.

Jimmbobb

So many variables in "snow," much less the vehicle, tires, load, etc. Is it wet snow, powder, over slush or ice? How deep? My experience is living in the snow, not offroading, but the first thing I look for is clearance to get the drivetrain and body over the snow.

In Buffalo I daily drove a Samurai and a diesel Suburban; recently I split time between a lifted Forester on mud tires and a first Gen Cummins. I definitely had to change my style with each one. The samurai was fun until it was windy and thrown all over the place; the Suburban was a tank but you had to respect gravity on anything off-camber. The Forester just floats over the snow, the Ram was on 235/85s and just cut down to the surface. I never had to turn around or get pulled out with any of them.

Last night I took a brand new Colorado ZR2 diesel Bison out in an 18" blizzard on absolutely untreated streets, and it was far and away the surest and most relaxed vehicle I've ever driven in snow even with the factory fresh Duratracs. I look forward to trying it in other snows, but for now, I'm sold.Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 9.59.34 AM.jpg

jadmt

ignore button user
I have done a lot of snow wheeling in jeep rubicons on 35's and have been flat out amazed. I would never take my power wagon on the same 35's where I went in the jeep. Running both with stock tires it would be the same I would try things in the jeep I would not dream about in the pw. If I were running 44" tires aired down that would be a different story. local facebook wheeling club went out this past weekend and a new PW slide off the road and got a bunch of damage.apparently on stock tires and had a tough time.

Humvee4us

I have done a lot of snow wheeling in jeep rubicons on 35's and have been flat out amazed. I would never take my power wagon on the same 35's where I went in the jeep. Running both with stock tires it would be the same I would try things in the jeep I would not dream about in the pw. If I were running 44" tires aired down that would be a different story. local facebook wheeling club went out this past weekend and a new PW slide off the road and got a bunch of damage.apparently on stock tires and had a tough time.
Why's that, is it the weight of the PW?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles