Project: Blanco, The 2007 F350 Standard Cab Adventure Truck

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

After lamenting about what to do with the bed space on this truck for almost a year, I lucked into finding this clean 8' full size Flippac camper on one of the local marketplaces for a great price. It was even white to match the truck!

The tent seems to be in great condition. The seals on the top lid are in good shape. It does have a few gel coat cracks on the lower edges near the bed rail, but overall, I couldn't be happier.

It was mounted on an 06 Ford quad cab 8' bed before. I need to figure out how to rework the strut rods to match my truck. They only had one of the small hood brackets so I will need to remake those. I also need to figure out a good plan to mount the shell to the truck long term.

The biggest bummer was that they didn't have the crank arm for the torsion bar. I will need to make a replacement. I can open and close the camper by myself without it, but it isn't any fun. The misses can't. I would like her to be able to do it herself when needed.

This makes the camping space in the 'bed' of the pickup just feel HUGE.

Now that I finally have a 'bed' plan going, I can start to think more seriously about modding the rear suspension to make it more comfortable. The extra ~350-400lbs has already made a huge difference with how this F350 rides.

shellb

Adventurer
That’s what I call a thread update!

Looks great and you’re going to be really happy with that set up.

If you ever want to let it go, I’ll add my name to the list!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

I designed and 3d printed this phone mount adapter. It mounts to the factory dash 'plug' ( where the tcase rotary switch could be ) with a big pad of 3M VHB adhesive double sided foam. The phone mount itself is a nice $15 aluminum unit from Amazon.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183

I designed and 3d printed this phone mount adapter. It mounts to the factory dash 'plug' ( where the tcase rotary switch could be ) with a big pad of 3M VHB adhesive double sided foam. The phone mount itself is a nice $15 aluminum unit from Amazon.

that’s slick

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

I did a Painless Wiring H4 Headlight harness upgrade to support some 50/100w Hella H4 bulbs in Hella H4 Glass.

I'm kinda burned out (ha) on LED lights. My eyes get pretty sore with white 5000k+ tones. These H4 bulbs are just under 4000k and much easier for long drives on bad weather.

The 'stock' headlights where just terrible.....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

Amazon had these DrawTite hidden hitches on sale for 120 delivered a few weeks back. The install was pretty easy. Having the front hitch gives me some future options, and will probably keep me from building a custom bumper for a bit longer.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

I swapped over the Milestar Patagonia X/T tires in the *gasp* stock 275/70R18 size.

The previous Goodyear Duratrac's, while a decent tire, where pretty underwhelming at half thread going into this winter. The Patagonia X/T is a bit milder than I usually run, but traction on snowy roads has been pretty phenomenal once the tire pressures where lowered down a bit. I always get a laugh at the tire shop going for the full 80psi on a load range E tire for an empty truck.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Stock?!?!? Don't you always put monster tires with no lift on your projects?!? C'mon man, slacking...

Jk, love the no frills nature of this truck. Keep it up.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Stock?!?!? Don't you always put monster tires with no lift on your projects?!? C'mon man, slacking...

Jk, love the no frills nature of this truck. Keep it up.

I know.....it has been so tempting. I came REALLY close to putting 37s+ on it.
Tires wear out, maybe next time....

Overdrive

Adventurer
Nice truck Metcalf! Great score on the flip pac too. Such a basic, reliable, buildable package.

Curious on what the GVWR on your door sticker is?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Nice truck Metcalf! Great score on the flip pac too. Such a basic, reliable, buildable package.

Curious on what the GVWR on your door sticker is?

10700lbs
4800 front, 7000 rear ( not sure how that math adds up )

stock truck was about 6400lbs.

Overdrive

Adventurer
You gotta love a 4,000+ lb payload!
I'll be searching for the same truck. The more I read about the '04-up Super Duties which all have the Dana Super 60 front axle...the more I like 'em. Upgraded everything it seems, and the high pinion style is an added bonus.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
You gotta love a 4,000+ lb payload!
I'll be searching for the same truck. The more I read about the '04-up Super Duties which all have the Dana Super 60 front axle...the more I like 'em. Upgraded everything it seems, and the high pinion style is an added bonus.

The 05+ style front axle is a pretty signifigant update over the 99-04 version. It has larger knuckles, 35 spline outer axle, and a much larger/stronger unit bearing assembly.
You can bolt in later axle shafts with the 1550 u-joint.
I love that there is no axle disconnect, and you can still get normal old manual hubs and a lever shift transfer case....

Good luck on your hunt.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

Another mini-mod. I really like having a shovel in my vehicles. On a full size, I think it's best to have something with a long handle to be able to reach all the way under. I also hate not having a 'home' for it....

I found some affordable cam action tool hangers at home depot ( along with a nice shovel ) and 3D printed some standoffs for the mounts. These 3d printed standoffs use a large 4x4 pad of industrial 3m VHB tape, and don't require drilling any holes. I really don't like drilling holes if I don't have to. Done right ( clean clean clean ) the VHB works really well for stuff like this in my opinion. This has been in there for a few weeks now without any signs of de-lamination from the weight of the shovel ( actually pretty light ).

A small upside to the cam lock tool holders if that you can use them with your gloves on in the winter, you don't have to have any fine motor skills to undo a strap or buckle.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

Mini-mod. I must be getting old. Getting in and out under the camper just isn't working for my knees anymore.
I decided to add a thick rubber mat to the bed floor to help with that.
It should help a lot with the Flippac camper up too for walking around on cool mornings.
Sometimes it's the small details that make the most difference.

P.S. the shovel mounts held on by the 3m VHB pads are still going strong.
I'm actually kinda surprised honestly.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles