Interested in Aussie Locker for 8" Montero V6 diffs? Step in..

irish44j

(moderators: this isn't a for-sale post, and I am not a vendor nor do I have any financial interest in this. However, I am speaking to a vendor about getting these parts made again, for the benefit of the community, so it will probably get more traffic here. If not ok, feel free to move).

So we all know Aussie Lockers stopped making their "lunchbox locker" for the 8" Mitsubishi diff a few years back (apparently for lack of sales), but I've heard a number of people who may be interested in such a thing. Lokka in Australia makes them, but anyone who has dealt with them knows it's a crapshoot - they may neer reply to you, may never send the part, may just return your money with no message, etc.

ANyhow, I talked with the people at Aussie Lockers (based in New York, who replied to my email immediately) and they said if 15+ people "verbally" commit, they'd be willing to restart production on the XD-94514, which is the fit for all V6 Monteros (according to their old listing) The price would be somewhere around $320. They did not want to do any kind of pre-pay - but basically just a list of who would be seriously interested in buying once made.

So, to try to make this happen I'm going to play middle-man here if there's enough interest. So here's what I need if you are seriously interested:

Send me a private message with your name and email address, and also post "yes" in this thread. That's it. I'll leave this thread open until we get enough people then I'll send them on to Aussie Lockers and hopefully they'll do the production run.

Here are screen captures of the old listing, with information:

1607468353328.png

1607468379650.png

Last edited:

SD_Montero

Observer
when i ordered mine from Lokka it came right away no problems. Ill actually be removing the whole diff if anyone is interested in buying the whole set up (4.63 gears with the lokka installed in it already).

irish44j

when i ordered mine from Lokka it came right away no problems. Ill actually be removing the whole diff if anyone is interested in buying the whole set up (4.63 gears with the lokka installed in it already).

How long ago was that? seems that everything I've read in the last year or two people are having issues with them unless you are actually in Australia

irish44j

In 2WD you shouldn't notice it. Most recommend having manual hubs so you can totally unlock when not using it.

SD_Montero

Observer
How long ago was that? seems that everything I've read in the last year or two people are having issues with them unless you are actually in Australia
Was two years ago. Haven't used it a lot alot. I have manual hubs (a must). It's juts sitting there most of the time. When I pull it I'm going to inspect everything for wear.

irish44j

Well, after three months of nothing from LOKKA, PayPal refunded my money. So I don't know what the f--k is up with those guys or if they're still in business, but that sucks. I figured three months would be plenty of time to deliver, but I guess not. So, back to this idea of getting Aussie Lockers to make a run of them if enough people are interested....

Tonygon

Well, after three months of nothing from LOKKA, PayPal refunded my money. So I don't know what the f--k is up with those guys or if they're still in business, but that sucks. I figured three months would be plenty of time to deliver, but I guess not. So, back to this idea of getting Aussie Lockers to make a run of them if enough people are interested....
Hey buddy... So what ended up happening with the front aussie lockers? Did a few people show interest? im wanting one for my gen2.

irish44j

Hey buddy... So what ended up happening with the front aussie lockers? Did a few people show interest? im wanting one for my gen2.

Still keeping a list, but haven't gotten the 15 so far. I think I'm at 5 or 6. Figured I'd just leave this thread up until there are enough people, and then let Aussie Lockers know at that point. So if you are in, shoot me a message with your name/email and I'll put it on the list. Once we have 15 or so I'll shoot everyone an email to let them know.

Last edited:

Tonygon

ed I'd just leave this thread up until there are enough people, and then let Aussie Lockers know at that point. So if you are in, shoot me a message with your name/email and I'll put it on the list. Once we have 15 or so I'll shoot everyone an email to let them know.
sending you a PM.

RyanY

Adventurer
The only downside to the Aussie Locker is that anytime you're in 4WD or AWD and applying power, the front diff is locked. This means it becomes difficult to turn on anything other than a very slippery surface, and essentially eliminates the ability to use AWD on a hard surface. It's a nice step in the right direction when you're needing a front locker for infrequent 4-wheeling, but a selectable locker is a far better option if you're planning on using 4WD on a regular basis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles