Overland Truck Build?

I am looking to build an overland/camper and have been looking at truck options. I have a Four Wheel Camper Project M on order but would eventually like to upgrade to a FWC Hawk flatbed or similar. I started looking at mid sized trucks, Tacoma and Ranger, but their payloads are too small 1250-1600lbs. Unfortunately most F150s and other 1/2 ton trucks are in the same range of payload as the midsized trucks. The Powerwagon has a payload of 1,510lbs. The highest payload F150 I can find in a 6 foot bed is 2,200 lbs (5.0 V8 Supercab 4x4).

Basic Weight Estimates:
(2) Passengers 310lbs
FWC Hawk Flatbed 1,325lbs
20 gallons water 160lbs

TOTAL = 1,795LBS This is without any cooking gear, clothing, hiking gear, recovery gear, sleeping gear, food........

So I have two questions:
1. Am I missing something? Is there a small, maneuverable, dependable, high payload vehicle available in the U.S.?
2. Anyone driving a gas (I am not a fan of diesel these days) F250/F350 or similar with a pop up camper or habitat? How does it do off road? What is your setup like? What kind of MPG?

Ideas? Suggestions?

D

Deleted member 9101

As mentioned you can get an F150 with the Heavy Duty Payload option. Once loaded with gear and larger tires, it will be getting the same mpg as a 3/4 ton. Might as well get the 3/4 ton and reep thr benifits of a stronger truck.

The gas 6.2 in the F250 is damn near indestructible. Not the most fuel efficient motor, but it makes plenty of power and can be beat on for hundreds of thousands of miles and not flinch.

The 7.3 gasser will get about the same fuel economy, buuuut it puts out more power.

Trixxx

As mentioned above, the gas F250’s/F350’s are great vehicles. The 6.2 is incredibly reliable (could practically call it bullet proof). In 2020, they just added the 7.3 gas motor and I am on tons of super duty groups (I have a 2020 F250 diesel) and have yet to see anyone with gas saying they regret it.

Honestly, I probably could/should have gone with gas.. I don’t tow anything heavy. The diesel power and mileage is addicting though. Diesel also handles 37’s a bit easier.

woodsdoc

The Flatbed Hawk weighs considerably more than 1325. I have a 2018 Woolrich Edition Hawk Flatbed and the shipping weight on it was 1920 lbs. Admittedly that one is loaded with pretty much everything but even the standard flatbed is probably pushing 1700 lbs or more.

The 2017 F150 I have for hauling this has a door sticker payload of 1882 lbs. I've upgraded the springs front and rear and added airbags so it handles the weight fine but I am pretty sure it's over the GVWR when fully loaded up. It's got the 3.5L Ecoboost and averages 12.5 or so when the camper is on. I've read others with the 7.3 gas Ford F250 are averaging 11-12 mpg with a slide in Hawk loaded. The rear end ratio is going to make a big difference there -- it ranges from 3.55 up to 4.30 with the 7.3L gas from what I can see.

MogsAndDogs

Or you could go this route:

10,000 lb. payload, half the price of an F250

Thanks but not my cup of tea....

D

Deleted member 9101

Doesn't fit in a garage, the A/C systems suck, and you can't get many of the parts on a weekend if you break down ;-)

D

Deleted member 9101

The Flatbed Hawk weighs considerably more than 1325. I have a 2018 Woolrich Edition Hawk Flatbed and the shipping weight on it was 1920 lbs. Admittedly that one is loaded with pretty much everything but even the standard flatbed is probably pushing 1700 lbs or more.

The 2017 F150 I have for hauling this has a door sticker payload of 1882 lbs. I've upgraded the springs front and rear and added airbags so it handles the weight fine but I am pretty sure it's over the GVWR when fully loaded up. It's got the 3.5L Ecoboost and averages 12.5 or so when the camper is on. I've read others with the 7.3 gas Ford F250 are averaging 11-12 mpg with a slide in Hawk loaded. The rear end ratio is going to make a big difference there -- it ranges from 3.55 up to 4.30 with the 7.3L gas from what I can see.

The interesting thing about your F150 is you have the same tranny and brakes as the one with the HDPP. The main difference is the HDPP comes with a thicker frame.

As mentioned you can get an F150 with the Heavy Duty Payload option. Once loaded with gear and larger tires, it will be getting the same mpg as a 3/4 ton. Might as well get the 3/4 ton and reep thr benifits of a stronger truck.

The gas 6.2 in the F250 is damn near indestructible. Not the most fuel efficient motor, but it makes plenty of power and can be beat on for hundreds of thousands of miles and not flinch.

The 7.3 gasser will get about the same fuel economy, buuuut it puts out more power.

I am leaning towards the F250 with the 6.2 as I expect the camper will be on full time. I would like to hear from some folks who run them off road, preferably with loaded.

D

Deleted member 9101

I am leaning towards the F250 with the 6.2 as I expect the camper will be on full time. I would like to hear from some folks who run them off road, preferably with loaded.

Well, I've certainly never run them off road. But we do have a 2019, 2wd, crew cab, F250 at my office that we tow a ~10k trailer with. The 6.2 doesn't struggle at all with 1k in the bed and 10k behind it. It gets around 9-10 mpg when loaded and pulling. It would probably get better if it wasn't a gov't vehicle and the driver was reaponsiable for the gas bill...haha.

The nice thing about going with a 3/4 ton over a 1/2 ton is your suspension, brakes, and tires should all last longer and preform better since they are not being pushed as hard. The fuel economy should be about the same and it will happily run on 87 octane.

@IdaSHO has the 6.2 in a set up kinda like what you are planning. He's who I'd ask.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
You rang?

Yes, ours does a decent amount of off pavement, and of that, some that does require an honest 4wd.
The truck is superb. It does everything that I could expect out of it, especially considering we are pushing 12k lbs wet and loaded.
And there is no way I would expect a 1/2 ton to do it as confidently and/or safely. Even with some silly "payload package"

With roughly 20k?? miles on the setup so far, we are averaging just shy of 9MPG.
Average average average. So that includes extended highway as well as off road travel.
True highway travel we nip at 10MPG.

Truck is a 2011 6.2 supercab long bed.
Drivetrain is completely stock.
Rolls on 35's, stock suspension + rear bags.
Chassis was lengthened behind the rear suspension to accommodate the 10'long custom bed.
Bed also rides on a torsion free 3-point mount, and needs it.

Any questions, please let me know.
Always willing to share info/insight.

:cool:

50347683451_331955b978_h.jpg

rruff

Explorer

A little light reading. You can make them very capable offroad if you wish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz