Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

rustypayne

Can anyone recommend a good dealer or shop in the midwest (I'm in Green Bay, WI) what would do the install or has some done an install in the past? Thanks!!

I'm in Michigan and drove out to San Diego to get mine a couple years ago. The install only took about half a day and we had a good time camping our way back home.

mlochowitz

I'm in Michigan and drove out to San Diego to get mine a couple years ago. The install only took about half a day and we had a good time camping our way back home.

Thanks! I ordered my J30 last week and am so excited! It will be ready by May which is perfect. We have been sleeping in the Jeep for the past few years and it works well, but I tired of having to take all my gear in and out to setup the bed.

mlochowitz

I have a 2014 JK. Based on a post as saw earlier in the thread someone said that the high point of the J30 top is 13" from top of the back glass. I have 13 1/4". I can remove about 1/4-1/2" of trim from the garage door too. This is with a fully empty jeep with the stock rear bumper. The weight of the top and gear might buy me a bit more margin too. I was thinking of adding the solar and rack rails but if I am this close, is it best to not add them and see if I clear first? I didn't expect to be able to make it but if can pull in to the garage this will be such an added bonus. Worst case I swap my 35's for 33's I guess.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53

JoyRider

The Ursa has few flaws but the lack of handles on the outside was one for me. I had some handles laying around from a van build that never got used so I mounted them yesterday. Much improved IMO.

Untitled by K A, on Flickr

Hey, you've had your handles for more than a year... How are they holding up? I just took delivery on my J30 and I sure could use a grab handle to help with closing the top, and also with getting in and out from outside.

86scotty

Cynic
Sorry but I can't tell you. I sold my J30 about 6 months ago. While i had it the handles held up great with a good bit of use. If I can remember who I sold it to I'll get you in touch with him. I believe he is a member here.

Yuke

Adventurer

backwoods overland is a east coast dealer in Maryland. A bit of a drive, but not too bad. Come down and explore your way home. Pm me if we can help.

Bruce_B

Hey, you've had your handles for more than a year... How are they holding up? I just took delivery on my J30 and I sure could use a grab handle to help with closing the top, and also with getting in and out from outside.
I used 1 inch webbing for pull handles and a piece of EMT conduit for a center lift handle. These have held up fine for two years.

Attachments

• 20200202_094852.jpg
    20200202_094852.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 88

RastaPasta

What did you do with your stock top? Did you sell it in the San Diego area or did you drive out there with a bikini top or something? I'm currently figuring out what works best for me. I live in NJ, so shipping would be easier (plus not paying CA tax), but I have family out in AZ so I could make a trip of it if I went to Ursa Minor itself (plus all of the awesome National Parks out there), but driving like 42 hours out there without a roof sounds... loud.

rustypayne

What did you do with your stock top? Did you sell it in the San Diego area or did you drive out there with a bikini top or something? I'm currently figuring out what works best for me. I live in NJ, so shipping would be easier (plus not paying CA tax), but I have family out in AZ so I could make a trip of it if I went to Ursa Minor itself (plus all of the awesome National Parks out there), but driving like 42 hours out there without a roof sounds... loud.

I have an aftermarket soft top that I put on for the drive out and was able to put the seats down and store it for the drive home. Sold my hard top on CL at home. One thing I didn't think about ahead of time was CA sales tax on the purchase so it was several hundred $ more than I was expecting. My own fault for not realizing it but still it's something to consider.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

I listed mine on San Diego CL for $1500 about 2 months before I was going to get my Ursa Minor, and it was snapped up right away.
The guy paid a deposit and was more than happy to wait.
When the day came he met me at Ursa Minor's shop, and together we lifted it off my Jeep onto his, then John and the crew installed the J30 onto mine.
I gave the $1500 straight to John, which was a perfect way to reduce the price.

-Dan

RastaPasta

I have an aftermarket soft top that I put on for the drive out and was able to put the seats down and store it for the drive home. Sold my hard top on CL at home. One thing I didn't think about ahead of time was CA sales tax on the purchase so it was several hundred $ more than I was expecting. My own fault for not realizing it but still it's something to consider.

Yea, not paying tax would save me about $500 or so even with the shipping cost to NJ. However, the flip side of that is it'd be nice to have it professionally installed. I'm sure I can handle it, but still.

I listed mine on San Diego CL for $1500 about 2 months before I was going to get my Ursa Minor, and it was snapped up right away.
The guy paid a deposit and was more than happy to wait.
When the day came he met me at Ursa Minor's shop, and together we lifted it off my Jeep onto his, then John and the crew installed the J30 onto mine.
I gave the $1500 straight to John, which was a perfect way to reduce the price.

-Dan

Thanks Dan! I was thinking about doing the same thing. My Issue is I have the red, body color top which might make it a little harder to sell. I also need to have the holes filled and painted on it because I have the Rhino Rack Backbone setup for my current RTT.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Thanks Dan! I was thinking about doing the same thing. My Issue is I have the red, body color top which might make it a little harder to sell. I also need to have the holes filled and painted on it because I have the Rhino Rack Backbone setup for my current RTT.

There's only one way to find out!

..Also, you could sell the backbone system with it for potentially more $$$. I assume you won't be needing it with the J30!

-Dan

RastaPasta

There's only one way to find out!

..Also, you could sell the backbone system with it for potentially more $$$. I assume you won't be needing it with the J30!

-Dan

Exactly! I have a couple people interested in my RTT and the backbone, those plus the roof get me about halfway to the J30.

Thehaymon5

I am in the process of purchasing a used J30 top built in the summer of 2019. Besides the vehicle portion of the wiring kit, what do I need to buy from Ursa Minor to make for an easy install, as we are meeting two days from each of our homes to do the swap. I have seen a rear gate trim kit and a 2 inch foam seal, for instance.

Also, can three guys do the swap comfortably?

RastaPasta

The top weighs around 250-270lbs, if I recall. I'd definitely have at least a 4th there (2 per side) to make lifting the top easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles