What do you use for a truck gun?

100% of the time i have my G19 on my person. With the exception of hunting season my truck gun is a BCM Recce14 556 AR15 with a Vortex Razor 1-6x and Surefire Scout DF.

I still go around and around with the idea of a truck gun. However, driving down an interstate frequently blocked by rioting morons I'm more on board with the idea... There is a serious pucker factor to being a few cars back and watching really angry people throw rocks and stuff at vehicles holding people that are just trying to go home - especially when your family is in the vehicle with you.

Finding that balance of keeping the firearm secure and also accessible has been really tough for me. For my application i've found that behind the rear seat, locked to to the seat frame via stainless steal braided/coated bike lock works when im going to be away from the vehicle. When there is considerable threat, or less risk of it being stolen it is unlocked or just tossed in a Decked drawer.

Grassland

I just up gunned, courtesy of the Democratic riots of 2020. View attachment 608068
I'm not familiar with this pattern rifle, what's that? Full power cartridge I see.

If I could get my hands on one I'm jonesing for a Marlin dark in 30-30.
Wouldn't mind another Chiappa Alaskan take down but it doesn't feed most .38 reliably and I don't hand load so .357 is getting pricey. Plus it kind of looks too nice.

What are you guys in America limited to for barrel length in a carbine without the extra paperwork? 16"?
Any overall length minimums?

Bravo30

I'm not familiar with this pattern rifle, what's that? Full power cartridge I see.

Wouldn't mind another Chiappa Alaskan take down but it doesn't feed most .38 reliably and I don't hand load so .357 is getting pricey. Plus it kind of looks too nice.

What are you guys in America limited to for barrel length in a carbine without the extra paperwork? 16"?

Pretty sure 16.5” is the shortest after that you need paperwork.

The rifle above is a 20rd box feed semi auto .308 FN-FAL stg-58 “the right arm of the free world” or “the Belgium sledgehammer”

MTVR

I still go around and around with the idea of a truck gun. However, driving down an interstate frequently blocked by rioting morons I'm more on board with the idea... There is a serious pucker factor to being a few cars back and watching really angry people throw rocks and stuff at vehicles holding people that are just trying to go home - especially when your family is in the vehicle with you.

Reginald Denny, I will never be...

MTVR

My wife's idea of a "truck gun" (for her custom-ordered European Delivery BMW Track Pack car) is her Springfield Armory SOCOM 16. She subscribes to their mottos "Bring Enough Gun" and "Turns Cover Into Concealment". I think she's getting carried away, but...

Last edited:

MTVR

Pretty sure 16.5” is the shortest after that you need paperwork.

16" is the legal minimim for rifle barrels without a tax stamp. 18" is the minimum barrel length for shotguns without a tax stamp. Other weapons, such as 12-gauge "firearms" and AR-15 based pistols with "wrist braces" have no legal minimum barrel length, and no tax stamp is required.

MTVR

My wife wants a stainless steel Rossi R92 16" lever carbine in .44 Magnum. She has a thing for cannons...

16" barrel, 26" overall. You can go shorter, but it requires a $200 tax stamp, some paperwork, and some waiting. Same thing for short barreled shotguns, grenade launchers, grenades, machineguns, suppressors, and stuff like that.

MTVR

I have shown my wife all of the videos of the Reginald Denny attack, as well as educating her on the incident through all of the information that is available to us.

So she is now VERY clear in her mind, that if during "civil unrest" people attempt to block our path and make ANY attempt(s) to gain entry and/or approach us with any weapons (to include incendiary devices), that she will be "in fear for her life", and thus legally, morally, and ethically justified in the use of deadly physical force in defense of our person(s).

MTVR

The "Sig brace"
That opens up a ton of short and handy pistol carbines if you don't have restrictions.

Yes, although technically they are pistols, not carbines.

The wrist brace means that anyone that can legally possess a loaded concealed handgun, can carry a loaded AR as a "truck gun", which is a great problem-solving tool...

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
other than losing a few hundred fps, its basically an m16.

A M16 is a full sized select fire rifle. Firearms available to the law abiding public are NOT selectable to full auto or burst fire. One can buy a select fire firearm with the proper background, paperwork, tax stamp and lots of money.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I picked up one of these Black Aces shotguns. Nice and compact.

Attachments

• shotgun.png
    shotgun.png
    122.4 KB · Views: 49

MTVR

From the Reginald Denny Wikipedia page:

His skull was fractured in 91 places and pushed into his brain.[14][2] His left eye was so badly dislocated that it would have fallen into his sinus cavity had the surgeons not replaced the crushed bone with a piece of plastic.[15] A permanent crater remains in his forehead.

****** that noise- I'll simply introduce my attacker(s) to their Maker by separating their body from their soul...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles