Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

The latch used on modern Alu-Cab equipment was adopted after selling into Europe and North America and our freezing conditions. Our previous aluminum bodied latches had a far worse tendency to freeze and the road salt would quickly deteriorate the powder-coat finish on the latches. The new style latch will freeze if conditions are just right, which was the call for the rubber cover for total peace of mind.

I agree it would be great if there was a standalone weatherproof latch on the market, but the reason all the top canopy companies choose this latch is it is the best on the market. The rubber cover may seem odd, but just about every weatherproof padlock on the market has the same defense for preventing weather. (Master Lock, Abus, Abloy, Etc.) Hope this gives some insight to the situation and LMK if I can assist.

-Rin

Rin,

Can these be ordered through your website? I couldn't find them?

blake92242

Goose Gear Panel Build

Built my Goose Gear Electrical panel and just wanted to share. Putting a instructional post together with measurements and all. Hopefully this will help to shed some light on all the guess work I had to do. There are a few connections that need soldering on the right image. That's why you don't see heat shrink on a few of the connections. I laid the panel out just like Mountain State Overland's panel. Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll try and get the build thread up ASAP!

IMG_4073.jpgIMG_4632.jpg

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Goose Gear Panel Build

Built my Goose Gear Electrical panel and just wanted to share. Putting a instructional post together with measurements and all. Hopefully this will help to shed some light on all the guess work I had to do. There are a few connections that need soldering on the right image. That's why you don't see heat shrink on a few of the connections. I laid the panel out just like Mountain State Overland's panel. Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll try and get the build thread up ASAP!

View attachment 635312View attachment 635311

I do like these units from Goose gear, however, each time I see these, I can't help but think there is a ton of wasted space. Every square inch of space is at a premium in an ACCC build on a 5' bed. Couldn't you move all the items that pass through the board into a tighter grouping, thus clearing up room for more passthroughs? Yes, the wiring becomes tighter and more complex on the back, but having working in Aerospace electrical manufacturing, unless you have several hundred bundled wires lace tied and staked into a tiny box, it doesn't seem too crowded to me any more.

The latch used on modern Alu-Cab equipment was adopted after selling into Europe and North America and our freezing conditions. Our previous aluminum bodied latches had a far worse tendency to freeze and the road salt would quickly deteriorate the powder-coat finish on the latches. The new style latch will freeze if conditions are just right, which was the call for the rubber cover for total peace of mind.

I agree it would be great if there was a standalone weatherproof latch on the market, but the reason all the top canopy companies choose this latch is it is the best on the market. The rubber cover may seem odd, but just about every weatherproof padlock on the market has the same defense for preventing weather. (Master Lock, Abus, Abloy, Etc.) Hope this gives some insight to the situation and LMK if I can assist.

-Rin
Thanks for your reply and for the info. Much appreciated.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Rin,

They land at the shop this week and will go live on the website and through dealers. Ports this side have been delayed since early December so we are playing it safe posting up new products when the ETA is a gamble. ?

Goose Gear Panel Build

Here's that pic of the Shunt end of things @blake92242. I'm not sure why I can't attach a pic in a conversation.

IMG_4818 copy.jpg

blake92242

They land at the shop this week and will go live on the website and through dealers. Ports this side have been delayed since early December so we are playing it safe posting up new products when the ETA is a gamble. ?
@rino Do you know if this round of campers are for those who ordered campers around Dec. 1st through distributors? Or is it hard to say?

Thanks,
Blake

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
@rino Do you know if this round of campers are for those who ordered campers around Dec. 1st through distributors? Or is it hard to say?

Thanks,
Blake

We have containers all week finally landing here and about 30 or so campers on the grounds. All dealer orders shipping next week besides a few 6' late orders.

CMARJEEP

Observer
Rin,

I emailed a couple months ago when I saw these on the Alucab Instagram and they were able to allow me to preorder. I’m stoked because living in NV if the latches aren’t freezing in the winter they are gunked up with the super fine silt we have in the summer. No fault of the latch but annoying.

rvrboy

I do like these units from Goose gear, however, each time I see these, I can't help but think there is a ton of wasted space. Every square inch of space is at a premium in an ACCC build on a 5' bed. Couldn't you move all the items that pass through the board into a tighter grouping, thus clearing up room for more passthroughs? Yes, the wiring becomes tighter and more complex on the back, but having working in Aerospace electrical manufacturing, unless you have several hundred bundled wires lace tied and staked into a tiny box, it doesn't seem too crowded to me any more.

Of course it depends on what/how much stuff you plan to mount. I tried to plan all of my electrical needs up front and wanted everything centralized on the GG panel. You can fill up this panel making efficient use of space, have ease of operation, while still being able to keep the wiring clean and neat. I had left space for a propex thermostat but changed direction and put in a Dickinson Heater. Everyone's needs are different, this layout has worked awesome for me. LOVE this camper!!!Alu-Cab Electric Panel Victron Solar 051120 01.jpegDickenson First Fireup 02 112120.JPG

abenteur_co

Goose Gear Panel Build

Could you show or describe how you tied in the camper wiring harness? Mine came with labeled wires for stalk lights, led lights and 12v outlets that I assume are the positive leads to those as well as two unlabeled wires that I assume are neutrals. However when I wired up to my switch panel accordingly none of those items work, even though my switches show power. I haven't had a chance to trouble shoot yet, but would appreciate you're insight.

Thanks!

flyfishxj

Does anyone know how long the waitlist is for an alucab canopy camper? I'm in the planning phase for my 2019 Tacoma longbed.

Does anyone know how long the waitlist is for an alucab canopy camper? I'm in the planning phase for my 2019 Tacoma longbed.

There isn't really a wait list. Most dealers will have them in stock or have available in a matter of a month or so. The wait is significantly shorter than most other camper offerings out there.

Give OK4WD a call and ask for Rin or Jon and one of them will be able to get you a solid date!
908-866-8963

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles