Vehicle choice...

Dibber

Good day Folks...long time lurker.

So me and my best friend have dreamed of seeing the world at our leisure. With Covid keeping us both home from work, and with a decent nest egg saved well we thought now is a good time to start.

We are both in our late 40’s and do not picture us spending long times in a Roof top tent, nor do we want to tow a trailer (nother possible point of failure. We both have medical issues, and would like some degree of comfort.

We are now looking at Vehicle choices, and living up in Canada..we may consider importing.

We need 2 beds, we need kitchen/dining area and we need a bathroom with toilet(cassettes preferably). Would an Iveco Daily 4x4 be a good choice (keeping a small footprint)? How much area could we expect to have on a cab n chassis Daily? Or would this be a better job for a MAN truck?

Trying to find some different points of vie2, and maybe possible ideas we have not thought of.

This would be meant for a world tour, so all sorts of roads, weather and terrain. Being both ex military we believe strongly in K.I.S.S.( keep it simple stupid)

Thanks in advance folks

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
The smaller the vehicle, the more places you can take it.
The lighter it is, the fewer bridges you can't cross and the softer the terrain you can traverse.
That said, the fuel and water capacity determines how long you can stay remote.
The Iveco Daily 4WD looks great, bigger is not necessarily better, but I would personally choose a pre emissions, pre electronic control vehicle that anyone can fix on the side of the road.
Our 26 year old truck has one wire that makes the engine go, or stop. And I know where it is :)
Modern vehicles have great features but miss out badly on your very important K.I.S.S.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Grenadiers

Adventurer
We have a Saurer 6dm, similar to some of the larger MAN trucks, with a converted German army aluminum cargo box on the back. As tough of a truck this is, if I wasn’t a mechanic-hobbyist, I wouldn’t own a 35 year old military truck. With 7 filters, fuel, air, transmission, oil, coolant, air brakes, and 15 gallons of various oils for engine, transmission, transfer case, one grease cartridge for all the zert fittings, it runs about 600 dollars each fall. Doing this myself.

Met new friends from BC last winter in Baja. They about a 20’ Class C motorhome with the 7.3 liter Diesel engine. Two beds and the rest, I was pretty impressed. Don’t recall the brand of the RV. Will see if I have any pics. Good choice though.

Dibber

Thanks for the input folks. I am going to continue down the Daily line I think. Please feel free to input any other information.

phsycle

Adventurer
KISS. Get a base, regular cab, 3/4 ton with a gas engine. F250, I’d suggest. Slide in camper of your choice.
Parts availability better than an Iveco. Better chance of finding a Mechanic more familiar with it. And Prob cheaper.

Lovetheworld

I travelled through most of Asia, I have never seen a F250 there. An F150 also almost doesn't exist, except for a few places (some cities where people have a bit more to spend)
In Europe, you will see some F150's, you could get parts for it, although not on every corner.
F250 and up is already rare in Europe.

Iveco is also not a very common vehicle throughout Asia, but it is available in some parts of Asia (Russia + ex-Soviet)
Mercedes Sprinter might be a bit better, when it comes to parts.
In Europe, both are serviceable of course. From what I understand, the Iveco's are reliable.

You can never get a vehicle that is supported everywhere. Except for a 200 series Landcruiser.
But with (4x4) vans, it is impossible.
And I say that as a Toyota Hiace owner, which is serviceable in most countries around the globe, it will never be 100% coverage.
Pretty much every continent has Hiaces driving around, while the average US citizen will have never seen them. Just to illustrate.

The whole truck thing, it is just more comfort when stationary. When moving or fixing some issue, you get all the downsides.

Whatever you chose, just know which company to call if you need parts shipped in.

Furaites

I do believe that the original poster mentioned a World tour for 2.

A pickup is a great idea in North America, but with 2 Adult Men...Depending on their size I have not seen many Slide in TC with 2 good beds in them...Plust alot of TC's come with bad construction choices, and definately some unwanted complications. (If we are keeping in line with KISS)
Also in all my travels, albeit none of it overlanding, I have not seen a wide variety of Fords outside of North America.

A Sprinter Van does sound like it could work, depending on internal dimensions (I cannot recall them off the top of my head), and the size of the 2 individuals. But might be a tight fit for 2 Beds, a bathroom and kitchen.

I would be shooting for an Iveco Daily Cab and Chassis myself....Possibility of up a habitat in the 15ft range, leaves quite a bit of room to work. I do not know if OP is interested in Air Conditioner, TV, Microwave or what....But If I was trying to keep it simple I would think that there is alot of Potential room for 2 Adults in this sort of Vehicle setup.

Again, This is just my .02.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Good day Folks...long time lurker.

So me and my best friend have dreamed of seeing the world at our leisure. With Covid keeping us both home from work, and with a decent nest egg saved well we thought now is a good time to start.

We are both in our late 40’s and do not picture us spending long times in a Roof top tent, nor do we want to tow a trailer (nother possible point of failure. We both have medical issues, and would like some degree of comfort.

We are now looking at Vehicle choices, and living up in Canada..we may consider importing.

We need 2 beds, we need kitchen/dining area and we need a bathroom with toilet(cassettes preferably). Would an Iveco Daily 4x4 be a good choice (keeping a small footprint)? How much area could we expect to have on a cab n chassis Daily? Or would this be a better job for a MAN truck?

Trying to find some different points of vie2, and maybe possible ideas we have not thought of.

This would be meant for a world tour, so all sorts of roads, weather and terrain. Being both ex military we believe strongly in K.I.S.S.( keep it simple stupid)

Thanks in advance folks
Get yourself a 3/4 ton truck and consider one of these. You'd probably need the arctic pak being from the fridge provinces. http://www.northstarcampers.com/products/pop-up-truck-campers-650sc. Their Liberty is neat too if your 6'2" and shorter.http://www.northstarcampers.com/products/hardwall-truck-campers-liberty

Dibber

I feel in tune with what Furaites is saying.

We do not want AC, we do not want TV’s(or DVD players or satellite), or microwave.

We want space and Comfort...

Furaites

I have friends and Family throughout Canada, some like me are into getting out doors alot more and travelling via means of wheeled conveyence. Let me know how it goes, and tell me if you have any luck getting a purchasing agent, import agent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles