An Important Message - Be Wary Of Allowing People to Your House

Mquez50h9

And pay more than $500 for the tent.
I think he paid $3000, his original asking price was $3500.

Hope the guy makes things right Hudson. Here I thought he was a younger lad but if he is remotely close to the age you described he should know better.

jeepers29

A little more info for the community where I am hoping someone who knows this guy talks some sense into him to do the right thing. He is STILL avoiding any communication and not answering my emails or texts. This guy had red flags out of the gate and I should have just avoided him all together, hindsight is always 20/20. Again I am just wanting him to do the right thing and take care of the damage he has caused.

The guy showed up on the first day with a brand spanking new AEV built Bison Colorado. He had no rack on his truck to support the tent so this is why he had to come back the next day with his friend's aka mechanic's full size white GMC truck that had a truck bed mounted rack system. My assumption is that he did not inform his friend that he backed into my garage. This is after I specifically told him to bring a vehicle that has a roof rack installed because the Autohome Airtop was such a beast of a tent, first red flag. He talked me into trying to help him fit the tent into his Bison Colorado truck bed, which obviously would not fit. He also owns a Land Rover Defender and has an Autohome Airtop on this vehicle as well which I never saw in person. I believe he said he was friends with the guys that own Defenders NW here in Washington, which I believe was the place where he borrowed the vehicle that hit my garage. He is African American and is about 60 years old. I actually watched a YouTube video a few months ago that featured Land Rover Defenders and documented one of their trips and he was actually in the video! When I first met him I made mention of this because I immediately recognized him, I cannot for the life of me find this video on Youtube anymore!

I am still in the legal process and speaking with a lawyer, even the lawyer is hoping the guy does the right thing. We are in the process of filing a subpoena for his auto insurance company regarding details of the accident. Appreciate you guys replies on the matter, it really means a lot. Its funny how something so small can cause so much stress. The good news is I have all the text correspondence prior to him ignoring me when we were attempting to go through his insurance. He is definitely trying to play the victim card here but this won't hold up in a court of law.

I did want to add that if he ends up contacting me and agrees to send over the payment to fix my garage I will update the thread with this information as well. We all make dumb decisions in our life and I don't want to completely hang the guy out to dry just because he had poor judgment in handling this matter.
I hope this all works out and you get your money. I stand by the saying, The more people I meet the more I like my dogs. The one thing that I dont agree with is mentioning his race. That has nothing to do with this. IMHO

MTVR

It'd take everything in me to not don a blind person cane with Raybans on and back my truck into his garage door... Then pull the same on him.

That would be entertaining, but unfortunately it would also be an arrestable criminal offense in all 50 states, because of the culpable mental state involved.

Besides, he probably doesn't even have a garage door.

R50JR

He didn't mention the color of his skin.

You’re right. OP mentioned his ethnic background. He could be any skin color. Just like South Africans can be light and dark skin, but still African. My mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jadmt

ignore button user
I hope this all works out and you get your money. I stand by the saying, The more people I meet the more I like my dogs. The one thing that I dont agree with is mentioning his race. That has nothing to do with this. IMHO
it is funny people can get so twisted on this (not saying you are twisted). The last year I was working people would want to report a crime and would have suspect information but they were afraid to give any identifying information ie race, gender or any identifying traits for fear of being labeled. I was like ok we will be on the look out for an invisible they......They would use the pronoun They as well because they did not know how a person identified....uggg. hope the OP gets the other guys insurance to pay. if he can get a plate number he should be able to find the guys insurance and the guys insurance should cover even if he was driving someone else's rig. also the rig that did the damage will have to pay unless they report that the guy stole it or have him charged with unauthorized use.

That would be entertaining, but unfortunately it would also be an arrestable criminal offense in all 50 states, because of the culpable mental state involved.

Besides, he probably doesn't even have a garage door.

Oh without a doubt, I wouldn't actually do it but it's a shower thought I'd have for sure.

MTVR

You’re right. OP mentioned his ethnic background. He could be any skin color. Just like South Africans can be light and dark skin, but still African. My mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries.

One of the whitest guys I ever met, was from Africa.

People don't automatically describe white people as "European-Americans", they just say "white". Likewise, I think it's just silly to label someone as "African-American", when they've never even been to Africa, and neither have any of their ancestors, as far back as they can trace their family history.

I actually can trace my family history back about 500 years to Gloucestershire in England, but would not make a habit of referring to myself as a "European-American".

Last edited:

MTVR

it is funny people can get so twisted on this (not saying you are twisted). The last year I was working people would want to report a crime and would have suspect information but they were afraid to give any identifying information ie race, gender or any identifying traits for fear of being labeled. I was like ok we will be on the look out for an invisible they......They would use the pronoun They as well because they did not know how a person identified....uggg...

Yeah, people need to lighten up. Describing what someone looks like, is not racism or bigotry. Conversely, the inability to accurately perceive the world around you, is mental illness. If it looked like a white guy, then I'm gonna say that it looked like a white guy, even if he was wearing a dress...

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
An unfortunate incident for sure. I’ve been involved in the Overland industry in North America since 2001 and I have met a lot of people on the trail, at shows, and those who came to my shop over the years. Our community does not reflect the population of the US as we are primarily white males, however we do seem to be inclusive when it comes to including an array of people who are friendly, kind, helpful and informative. It also includes people who are ****************, thieves, liars, cheats, and low lives. So in many ways it does reflect our population. The only thing I think I can safely say is an Overlander will stop on the trail to check you are ok and if you need help.

D

Deleted member 9101

As a retired cop, I know better than to let anyone come to my house- I'll meet them somewhere away from my house, someplace that has video cameras recording. I'll be armed, and I'll have another armed person arrive separately and pretend to be a bystander.

Our local PD has a parking spaces infront of it just for this purpose. I'll either use them, or have them meet me at my office, which will scare off anyone with ill intent.

huntsonora

Explorer
Hoping the guy does the right thing here. Not looking good. It’s a shame that some go straight to the victim card but sadly not surprising in this day and age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles