An Important Message - Be Wary Of Allowing People to Your House

s.e.charles

send this info over to "the other" expo forum. they have ways of dealing with this kind of stuff . . . .

and post his address too.

Man that’s a bummer that people suck and can easily misplace trust in the community. Hopefully this POS doesn’t represent most of us in the community that enjoy the hobby. Mad props to you for not calling him out for everyone to see. Hopefully you get this issue resolved bro

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Have you contacted your homeowners insurance company?

Most Home Owners policies have a huge deductible so the damage is likely under that. I think the OPs best option, as has been stated, is Small Claims Court. It's a PITA but an attorney, if you could find one to take it, is going to get at least 35% of whatever he recovers so that's not really worth it either. It might be an attorney would write a letter, for a much smaller fee, and that would be enough to get the POS to send the money for repairs.

Reactions: MCX

s.e.charles

?... Ahhhhhhh ok ?

1609337111903.png

Superduty

Adventurer
What a ************ (when I spelled it correctly it got censored). A true AH. Seriously, what kind of person does this?

I hope the guy becomes a gentleman at some point and pays you.

Sorry for your troubles.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
Homeowners insurance won't cover it since the damage was caused by an auto. You may win a judgment in small claims court, however, it's up to you, not the courts to collect. small claims court is a joke.

moorejames

Full Time RVer
Homeowners insurance won't cover it since the damage was caused by an auto. You may win a judgment in small claims court, however, it's up to you, not the courts to collect. small claims court is a joke.

Homeowners insurance does cover damage to the home by an auto (or plane or train) but it is subject to the deductible. It won't cover damage to the auto unless it might somehow fall under liability coverage that didn't arise out of operating the vehicle (ie, your kid hits the neighbor's car with a baseball = property damage liability under the homeowners policy.)

If it were a large enough claim the OPs homeowners insurance company would subrogate (go after) the person responsible, but in this case, they'd probably just pay the amount of the claim minus the deductible and move on.

quickfarms

Adventurer
My homeowners deductible is only $500

What is the cost to replace the whole door? Unless it is new the replacement panels may be a different color and pattern. Is there another door next to it that it matches?

If you have proof that this guy was driving, photographs, in CA you can go after him, and even the vehicle owner, trough DMV.

Small claims is a joke. I have several judgements and have never collected on a single one.

Today I just get my lawyer to send the guy a demand letter and I the lawyer threatens to go after him for damages plus expenses, usually they pay promptly.

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
Homeowners insurance does cover damage to the home by an auto (or plane or train) but it is subject to the deductible. It won't cover damage to the auto unless it might somehow fall under liability coverage that didn't arise out of operating the vehicle (ie, your kid hits the neighbor's car with a baseball = property damage liability under the homeowners policy.)

If it were a large enough claim the OPs homeowners insurance company would subrogate (go after) the person responsible, but in this case, they'd probably just pay the amount of the claim minus the deductible and move on.

I stand corrected. It would be covered under the Homeowners policy. Actual loss minus deductible. The path of least resistance would be to file a police report for hit and run. The owner of the vehicle is legally liable regardless of who was driving.

A little more info for the community where I am hoping someone who knows this guy talks some sense into him to do the right thing. He is STILL avoiding any communication and not answering my emails or texts. This guy had red flags out of the gate and I should have just avoided him all together, hindsight is always 20/20. Again I am just wanting him to do the right thing and take care of the damage he has caused.

The guy showed up on the first day with a brand spanking new AEV built Bison Colorado. He had no rack on his truck to support the tent so this is why he had to come back the next day with his friend's aka mechanic's full size white GMC truck that had a truck bed mounted rack system. My assumption is that he did not inform his friend that he backed into my garage. This is after I specifically told him to bring a vehicle that has a roof rack installed because the Autohome Airtop was such a beast of a tent, first red flag. He talked me into trying to help him fit the tent into his Bison Colorado truck bed, which obviously would not fit. He also owns a Land Rover Defender and has an Autohome Airtop on this vehicle as well which I never saw in person. I believe he said he was friends with the guys that own Defenders NW here in Washington, which I believe was the place where he borrowed the vehicle that hit my garage. He is African American and is about 60 years old. I actually watched a YouTube video a few months ago that featured Land Rover Defenders and documented one of their trips and he was actually in the video! When I first met him I made mention of this because I immediately recognized him, I cannot for the life of me find this video on Youtube anymore!

I am still in the legal process and speaking with a lawyer, even the lawyer is hoping the guy does the right thing. We are in the process of filing a subpoena for his auto insurance company regarding details of the accident. Appreciate you guys replies on the matter, it really means a lot. Its funny how something so small can cause so much stress. The good news is I have all the text correspondence prior to him ignoring me when we were attempting to go through his insurance. He is definitely trying to play the victim card here but this won't hold up in a court of law.

I did want to add that if he ends up contacting me and agrees to send over the payment to fix my garage I will update the thread with this information as well. We all make dumb decisions in our life and I don't want to completely hang the guy out to dry just because he had poor judgment in handling this matter.

eblau

Adventurer
Don't help people load anything either, your help is always appreciated until something goes wrong then its immediately your fault. I had a guy show up with a rented tow dolly to buy a non running truck with no way to get it on the dolly. I reluctantly offered my beater toyota to drag the truck onto the dolly while he operated the brakes on the dead truck. In the process I was yelling to the guy as I could not see its position in relation to the dolly and before I knew it my Toyota had dragged an F150 4x4 up over the ramps on the dolly and high centered it on the tongue. I was astounded at his stupidity. It took an F350 in 4 lo to get it off the tongue of the dolly. As he was driving away I could see the hitch pivoting on the frame of his truck as it was only held on by two bolts. Can't make this crap up. Never again will I help anyone load or strap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles