Off Road Trailer Group Buy (M416 Style) ***Closed***

Status
Not open for further replies.

norcalscott

For those of you who have taken the trailers out and left them behind for a short trip. What are some options for security? Adding a wheel lock or something to that effect so they dont walk away?
Danny, I have a 16 foot length of heavy duty chain and a heavy duty padlock. I thread the chain through one wheel and wrap around the axle until kind of snug, then lock it. If a tree is nearby I will also put it around that. Idea is that it would not roll with the chain on it, and not enough slack to remove the tire on that side. Given enough time and the right tools, this would be fairly easy to cut.

I think the lock and roll hitch is another layer of security. the hitch on the tongue is locked on, and the receiver on the Jeep is locked on. Good luck towing it without a hitch coupler and not many have the lock and roll.

I'm also playing around with a tracking unit I picked up on Amazon that can be activated with movement then show its location on a map so I can track it down / call the police / use Remington persuasion, etc.

norcalscott

If you get a chance to take a photo of the tub packed up, I'd love to visualize it. My trailer is being built and I'm in the process of acquiring a few more pieces of gear to get our setup dialed.
Here is a diagram I put together to help me remember where everything goes. I found the 17 Gal HDX Bins fit well in the space I have and they hold quite a bit. I use two of them for general storage of larger items and food and I modified one of these with compartments to be my kitchen box (see 2nd picture). Two of the 4.5 Gal Hefty Latching Bins fit perfectly in the recess of the HDX bins and I put small items in those, like electronics, lights, batteries, USB cables, snacks, toilet supplies, etc.

I found the Harbor Freight 70 inch ratcheting load bar fits perfectly front/back and it helps to separate the storage area into a section that I put some homemade crates for my portable solar and my Coleman double burner stove, grill top, and single burner stove and propane hoses. My kitchen board also goes here with a couple of cheap folding tables, everything standing on its edge - you have to make sure you get the height right here so it is snug but not too tall. I can lay my two folding chairs on top along with some other lightweight soft items.

In the very back I have a misc storage area - I use this for sleeping bags, my tow rope/winch extension bag and other items. On the other side, I have a small Porta-Potty and one of my three 11 gallon reliance water containers. The other two go on the tongue just behind the tongue box. You can see those in some of my other pictures.

Trailer Loading Diagram.png
Kitchen Box.jpg

DannyLLama

Observer
@norcalscott Thanks for sharing.. hate to keep asking for links and info.. do you mind sharing the length and thickness of the chain?

Which divider did you chose for that storage box? Looks really effective. Is it specific to the storage box?

norcalscott

@norcalscott Thanks for sharing.. hate to keep asking for links and info.. do you mind sharing the length and thickness of the chain?

Which divider did you chose for that storage box? Looks really effective. Is it specific to the storage box?
@DannyLLama I am pretty sure it is this chain:
chain.png

They had a length already cut at Home Depot so I grabbed it - was about 16 feet which ended up being perfect. I bought the heaviest duty padlock they had at Wal Mart, supposed to be pick-proof and hard to cut open.

For the kitchen box, I made the dividers using some thin plywood. I cut them to fit and glued felt to both sides. They inter-lock the same way dividers in a wine case/box do. This took a fair bit of work to build but it will work really well. One of my biggest frustrations with packing up camp was getting all the kitchen stuff to fit back in the other bin I had, and during use, trying to grab something that was on the bottom was impossible. I've seen some really nice chuckwagon boxes, but this holds everything, including my expandable kitchen sink, and there is room for more stuff if needed. These 17 gallon bins are nice because they will fit out the rear tailgate.

Anyone add the awning mounts option to their build? What are you all planning on using for awnings if any at all?

Not sure this helps, as I haven’t received my trailer yet, but I did order the awning mounts.
I plan on running an Iron Man 4x4 awning on it...I have their big one on my GX,and it’s been great. I’ll put their “medium” sized one on the trailer.
I use their quick-detach awning mounts also...truly the Bees Knees...I’ll certainly use them also on the trailer set-up.
If you haven’t yet, look into the QD mounts...game changer!

a4rmando

Not sure this helps, as I haven’t received my trailer yet, but I did order the awning mounts.
I plan on running an Iron Man 4x4 awning on it...I have their big one on my GX,and it’s been great. I’ll put their “medium” sized one on the trailer.
I use their quick-detach awning mounts also...truly the Bees Knees...I’ll certainly use them also on the trailer set-up.
I’m all over the website. Thank you!

norcalscott

Anyone add the awning mounts option to their build? What are you all planning on using for awnings if any at all?
I added an ARB Awning to mine after my recent trip. Took 3 months for this to come in...
I used muffler clamps to install it to the top of the load bar - I used 4 of them, I think 1.5" and they worked really well. The ARB uses slide bolts in a groove top and bottom - I has to purchase some longer bolts to do the install.

Here is a picture of it mounted to the trailer.
awning.jpg

B^2

Observer
Any chance there is a group buy planned for 2021?? I'm interested.

He just ran a 15% off black friday promotion. As far as a group buy, you'd have to organize it yourself off the forum as expedition portal won't allow it without taking a cut themselves. My understanding is costs are going up in 2021 as materials are more expensive.

DannyLLama

Observer
Another group buy is highly unlikely. My understanding is Simon didnt make much of a profit, if any, due to COVID and having switched vendors. Best of luck.

DannyLLama

Observer

Did you get the mounts from Simon or Iron Man?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles