Goose - Our Poptop FZJ80

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Wow Tim, you have gone a long way with your travels. I still remember you from the times at Rocky point and Gonzaga Bay on your green 4runner and your old gig at the Banks...how time flys!
Good old Lulu the 4runner. I loved that truck. I was just thinking the other day about the last economic downturn. Being laid off again and again and burning through savings. Never thought we'd ever be able to do a trip like what we just did. Lucky to have Kelsey as a teammate. Life is so short. Cheers!

This is nice. Well deserve car wash, maintenance. Be safe guys and goose!:cool:
Thanks, cheers!

SOAZ

Just enjoying working to map trails in Colorado to help us save for the next continent while the world is closed. It's a good office. I'm always amazed at how much abuse Goose can take. 10 hours a day in low range every day for work after all he's done in the years past and he just takes it.
35b8dfee6a448a978e138577b74ca9e9.jpg
786761290d0d913aba2c7c01e61cea50.jpg
fa233b6cb8e9b6c146162e52c338276f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

gungriffin

Just enjoying working to map trails in Colorado to help us save for the next continent while the world is closed. It's a good office. I'm always amazed at how much abuse Goose can take. 10 hours a day in low range every day for work after all he's done in the years past and he just takes it.

How many miles are on Goose? How many of those miles would you estimate are off road?

I have Milo's old 100 series and I know that it has seen quite a few miles off road. It is just impressive how it keeps going and going.

SOAZ

How many miles are on Goose? How many of those miles would you estimate are off road?

I have Milo's old 100 series and I know that it has seen quite a few miles off road. It is just impressive how it keeps going and going.
Goose is at about 230k and climbing. He is running 10 to 11 hours a day and most of that is in low range while we're mapping these last few months. It's a hard life, but he doesn't seem to mind it a bit. It's impressive. Of the 230k I can only speak to the last 140K or so. 90% of that is offroad. Even when we had normal jobs I didn't use the 80 as a daily driver and just kept it for offroading at night and on weekends etc.

kbellve

Observer
This is beyond my skill level. So... we had to rebuild the engine... Now it's a bit bigger 4.6L. (No, not much more powerful, but it is compared to how it was running!)

Tim and Kelsey,

First, epic overlanding in South America. Your Youtube series is fantastic.

Second, can you give more details about the 4.6L motor that you installed? Cost? Source? Did Robbie build it? How has it done since?

TIA

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey,

First, epic overlanding in South America. Your Youtube series is fantastic.

Second, can you give more details about the 4.6L motor that you installed? Cost? Source? Did Robbie build it? How has it done since?

TIA

Hey Karl,
I was calling it a 4.6L because it was bored/honed, but I really don't know what the final capacity of it was. It felt like it was more powerful, but that's seat of the pants feel. It's still slow!
Camelback Toyota did the refresh on it because I wanted Toyota parts wherever possible with the trip we were planning. Decked the block and milled the head as well. Engine is still going strong and as you know it's run well on horribly low octane up to almost 19,000 feet in elevation. We retard the timing for really poor fuel like in Bolivia and advance it when the fuel is decent and we can get 87 octane at least.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Hey Karl,
I was calling it a 4.6L because it was bored/honed, but I really don't know what the final capacity of it was. It felt like it was more powerful, but that's seat of the pants feel. It's still slow!
Camelback Toyota did the refresh on it because I wanted Toyota parts wherever possible with the trip we were planning. Decked the block and milled the head as well. Engine is still going strong and as you know it's run well on horribly low octane up to almost 19,000 feet in elevation. We retard the timing for really poor fuel like in Bolivia and advance it when the fuel is decent and we can get 87 octane at least.

Why not a new factory short block?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles