(Another) 2021 Ram 5500 Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Lol yeah was getting spicy there haha. Was sorta enjoying the show. Merry Christmas y'all.

Merry Christmas!

Another question.. have you removed/replaced the fog lights yet?

If you haven’t noticed yet, they turn on while you’re driving side separate depending which way you’re turning.

If you just disconnect them you gets all sorts of error codes

If you upgrade them to Baja designs XL80s, you blind the hell out of everyone when you’re turning ?

I haven’t been able to find a way to turn this feature off yet. Please let me know if you find anything about it

frodotbaggins88

Merry Christmas!

Another question.. have you removed/replaced the fog lights yet?

If you haven’t noticed yet, they turn on while you’re driving side separate depending which way you’re turning.

If you just disconnect them you gets all sorts of error codes

If you upgrade them to Baja designs XL80s, you blind the hell out of everyone when you’re turning ?

I haven’t been able to find a way to turn this feature off yet. Please let me know if you find anything about it

Just noticed this post man, I haven't messed with anything yet really. Was planning to replace them with something from BD but yeah gonna be an issue if they turn on with the blinker. I may do something like a jumper to make the truck think the factory fogs are still there and just tap the BDs into the aux switches. I've done similar stuff on other vehicles, we'll see if it works here.

frodotbaggins88

Small update since more parts arrived. The usual suspects, Kelderman rear 4-link air setup. The pictures never do this setup justice, ridiculously beefy, you'd think you were building an earthmover or something. Most of the steel is .500". Got it all laid out to get installed this weekend.

IMG_4135.jpgIMG_4136.jpg

Brad_UT

I may do something like a jumper to make the truck think the factory fogs are still there and just tap the BDs into the aux switches.

A 330 Ohm 5 Watt resistor keeps the codes away... :)

I just gave up and wired my fogs to an upfitter switch.

frodotbaggins88

A 330 Ohm 5 Watt resistor keeps the codes away... :)

I just gave up and wired my fogs to an upfitter switch.

Oh nice tip on the resistor. So did you not do the resistor/dummy plug trick? You just wired the fogs to upfitter switch and deal with the codes?

Brad_UT

Oh nice tip on the resistor. So did you not do the resistor/dummy plug trick? You just wired the fogs to upfitter switch and deal with the codes?
This is the resistor/dummy plug trick. I used one of these resistors in place of each fog light. The resistor pulls just enough current from the truck to make it think the fog light is still there. No codes.

Note that the minimum current the truck wants to see depends on the kind of fog light your truck came with. This resistor value works if your truck originally came with LED fog lamps. This resistor value likely won't pull enough current to prevent codes if your truck came with incandescent fog lights.

I powered my BD fogs with upfitter switch #1. Now I can turn them on when I want to, not when the truck lets me.

frodotbaggins88

This is the resistor/dummy plug trick. I used one of these resistors in place of each fog light. The resistor pulls just enough current from the truck to make it think the fog light is still there. No codes.

Note that the minimum current the truck wants to see depends on the kind of fog light your truck came with. This resistor value works if your truck originally came with LED fog lamps. This resistor value likely won't pull enough current to prevent codes if your truck came with incandescent fog lights.

I powered my BD fogs with upfitter switch #1. Now I can turn them on when I want to, not when the truck lets me.

Awesome, makes sense. This was exactly what I was gonna do just wasn’t aware of the resistor trick, thanks for the info man. In the past I’ve just made dummy plugs with jumper wires and that was enough but vehicles are getting too complicated now haha

Suggest 1) beadlocks if you don’t already have them 2) extra unmounted spare if any real long trips are planned.
I speak from experience on both items.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles