DIY Telescoping Lift for RTT on Trailer

The Artisan

Adventurer
wow brilliant

Now someone sell kits with the critical components :cool:
I designed a 4 post connected screwdrive system that will lift one of my larger pods off my flatbed. I have all the acme screws and components but have not built it yet.
I was going to use it in my liftup rood design but since I have gone to hardshell poptopper I do not need to use this system
These past systems were unreliable in design
Kevin

Mark2457

What do you plan to use for the actual lifting?

long-term hopefully actuators. I figured I could do it manually at first (maybe add some gas struts). I know I'd have to make my way around all for corners (several times). I want to have some kind of "universal" joint at the top of each riser so that I can use different heights to help leveling,. Hopefully that would mean I could maybe lift in 6 inch increments.

Mark2457

I have never done it, but from what I have read here those who try to make it lift just by hand, cant. To much binding with just 1 person lifting, actuators are not that pricey, be it gas or electric.

Thanks. It's not the price I'm (too) concerned about, it's finding the right products, the time to install and the control stuff. My background is electronics, so I know I can do it, just want to take my time, but use the tent in the meantime. Biggest problem going to actuator/gas struts right now is figuring out exactly waht I'd need. However I do it, I presume i need some kind of telescoping mechanism (although I guess some kind of scissor action would work.

Mark2457

Impossible is a strong word, and there most definitely are readily-available options for materials. Searching for "telescoping-tube" on McMaster Carr should bring up some results, seemingly in the $2 - $4/foot range. While actuators may be the ideal solution, I'm a fan of building a minimally viable product (MVP) first to see if I like the configuration before sinking more time and money into it. You may need to consider having a little bit of rotation at the top and/or bottom of the "posts" to prevent binding as some have mentioned. Good luck with the build!

Couldn't have said it myself. The project is going to take time, so building a minimal v1 is what I'm after. this will be m proof of concept. I want to have some kind of "universal" joint at the top of each riser so that I can use different heights on each corner to assist in leveling the RTT. This would also help with solo liftting.

Couldn't have said it myself. The project is going to take time, so building a minimal v1 is what I'm after. this will be m proof of concept. I want to have some kind of "universal" joint at the top of each riser so that I can use different heights on each corner to assist in leveling the RTT. This would also help with solo liftting.

I welded bolts to the under side of top cap of my posts and screwed rod ends onto them to give me u joint.
1003201654_compress90.jpg

1003201825_compress39.jpg

1003201838_compress42.jpg

Attachments

• 1003201654_compress90.jpg
    1003201654_compress90.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
They are 9/16 bolts welded upside down through the top cap of the post. The u joints are 9/16 female rod ends that are screwed onto the bolts from the top. The piece that is on top in the last picture are shock mounting brackets that I welded to the tent rack I built.

dagtwo

I'm glad I stumbled on this. I'm wanting to do the same as you. Want a telescoping rack without actuators. Here is a crude sketch I just made on my phone cause I wanted to get it out of my head and recorded somewhere. The idea is that there would be two pivot points on each of 4 telescoping posts. One pivot on the post and one on a tab coming down from the tent mount frame. A piece or two of flat stock with rounded ends would connect the two pivot points. Each side of the trailer would be a mirror of each other. In theory, it should allow you to move one side of the frame (two telescoping posts) up/down a few holes at a time. The pivot points would allow the tent mount frame to angle while the telescoping post to stay vertical. Probably takes a lot of strength, but could be done by one person. Especially if only actuating 10-15". The post could be locked in somehow when in position. I'm sure the idea would work but needs some work to be structurally sound. Bracing here and there. I hope this makes sense. Maybe folks could point out what I'm missing. I can do some sketchup drawings if neededsketch1608783196238.png

I'm confused also, not sure what the pivot arm is for if you have telescoping posts. Seems like you would either go telescoping or pivot, but not sure how they would work together?

dagtwo

Yeah. The sketch is rough. The point is that as one side is raised, the pivot points would allow the RTT mount to move laterally while going up. With just a single pivot at each post, you would end up binding unless you were able to lift all four corners together at the same rate. I'm drawing it up in sketchup. Takes time though.

john61ct

Adventurer
The goal is admirable.

A simple scissor jack on each side, single hander just go back and forth

even if only 6" lift at a time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles