Catalytic converter options for 2001 Montero Limited

the_trystero

Hey all,

I'm super bummed that most of the exhaust got yanked out of my Montero last week (parked on a well lit section of Main St here in LA). My mechanic is checking around for parts and he says the dealer is checking with Japan. If one or more of the parts can't be found, what options do I have to meet CA emissions?

Can they be found in junkyards or is that the first thing that gets pulled from a junked car? Are their aftermarket cat converters sold in CA for the Monteros?

Here's the last time I took it out to Hi Vista several weeks ago:

Thanks,
Greg

the_trystero

Thats a big thing with thieves now.

You can buy them at auto parts stores, ebay, junk yards

Thanks. My first few search results kept saying not for sale in California so I got discouraged. But I found a few options for CA, I'll work with my mechanic tomorrow.

MTVR

Thats a big thing with thieves now.

You can buy them at auto parts stores, ebay, junk yards

Federal EPA laws make it pretty much impossible to sell used catalytic converters, because the seller would become an accessory to a federal crime if the buyer installed it on a vehicle.

Many states have laws against it too, including California's CARB.

His only realistic option is going to be a new catalytic converter, either OEM or aftermarket.

MTVR

Thanks. My first few search results kept saying not for sale in California so I got discouraged. But I found a few options for CA, I'll work with my mechanic tomorrow.

Yes- used ones are illegal under both federal EPA and California state CARB laws.

You're gonna need a new one.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I doubt anyone would ever question where you got them. The goal is to pass the emissions test.....how would anyone ever know if this guy pulls some out of salvage that do the job. The only risk is doing all the work only to find out they are toast. Are CA salvage yards not allowed to sell them, even at a u-wrench it type place?

plh

Explorer
I doubt anyone would ever question where you got them. The goal is to pass the emissions test.....how would anyone ever know if this guy pulls some out of salvage that do the job. The only risk is doing all the work only to find out they are toast. Are CA salvage yards not allowed to sell them, even at a u-wrench it type place?

I don't think its legal anywhere in the USA for a junkyard to sell a used Cat.

Chuck1

They must be easy to sell since so many are being stolen.

Probably the type of people that speed on the freeway, aka most people.

MTVR

They must be easy to sell since so many are being stolen.

Probably the type of people that speed on the freeway, aka most people.

No.

Thieves do not sell catalytic converters- they cut them open to harvest and sell the precious materials inside.

MTVR

Go back and read my posts. It is illegal under both federal EPA laws AND California state CARB laws...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles