Winnebago EKKO

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
With that info the factory SRW option really would not work.
Victorian would you mind sharing your finished weight?
I don't have the actual numbers in front of me. But I remember being 500kg/1000lb below max weight on the last trip. This was fully loaded, 3 people, 30 gallons water, full fuel tank, bike rack and 2 bikes.....

rruff

Explorer
I don't have the actual numbers in front of me. But I remember being 500kg/1000lb below max weight on the last trip. This was fully loaded, 3 people, 30 gallons water, full fuel tank, bike rack and 2 bikes.....
With a starting weight of 4,300lb you have 5,200lb to play with before hitting GVWR. That's pretty huge, but apparently the EKKO is exceeding this and requiring the duallies.

I think there could be a lot of demand for a rig like yours with some customization; I don't recall the total... but yours was <$100k for parts including the van, yes? It does take a good amount of skill and work to build out a finished camper, but it would be so much better IMO.

Victorian

With a starting weight of 4,300lb you have 5,200lb to play with before hitting GVWR. That's pretty huge, but apparently the EKKO is exceeding this and requiring the duallies.

I think there could be a lot of demand for a rig like yours with some customization; I don't recall the total... but yours was <$100k for parts including the van, yes? It does take a good amount of skill and work to build out a finished camper, but it would be so much better IMO.
All in we ended up with a total of around US$75.000 (just materials, freight, other fees and truck, my time not calculated) . That number is changing all the time as we are adding bits and pieces.

skirunman

All in we ended up with a total of around US$75.000 (just materials, freight, other fees and truck, my time not calculated) . That number is changing all the time as we are adding bits and pieces.

Did you pay retail or cost for those panels? ;) Anyway, plan to pay about $45k for a 2021 Ecoboost AWD SRW 350 (9.5k GVWR) 156"WB Transit that has all the nice options and will weigh about 4,650 pounds so max payload is 4,850 . This gives you roughly 3.3k pounds for a build if you want a good margin of 1.5k for CCC.

Winnebago with the Ekko definitely needs the DRW with 11k GVWR, which gives you 6,080 max payload or roughly 1.2k more pounds for your build. Especially if you want to stay close to the 1.5k CCC, which is the number Winnebago claims for their smaller 22A model. I've heard through the grapevine that the longer 24C model (25') may only have a CCC of about 1k pounds as that chassis actually has a slightly lower max payload at 6,070 pounds, but obviously the build out will weigh more.

Last edited:

skirunman

Is there a technical reason why there won’t be an aftermarket option for a SRW conversion on the EKKO while keeping the higher GVWR?

Could it be done technically, sure, but I don't expect you would get much in the way of customer support from either Winnebago or Ford after the conversion. Basically you are no longer in compliance with either companies build specs.

Did you pay retail or cost for those panels? ;) Anyway, plan to pay about $45k for a 2021 Ecoboost AWD SRW 350 (9.5k GVWR) 156"WB Transit that has all the nice options and will weigh about 4,650 pounds so max payload is 4,850 . This gives you roughly 3.3k pounds for a build if you want a good margin of 1.5k for CCC.

Winnebago with the Ekko definitely needs the DRW with 11k GVWR, which gives you 6,080 max payload or roughly 1.2k more pounds for your build. Especially if you want to stay close to the 1.5k CCC, which is the number Winnebago claims for their smaller 22A model. I've heard through the grapevine that the longer 24C model (25') may only have a CCC of about 1k pounds as that chassis actually has a slightly lower max payload at 6,070 pounds, but obviously the build out will weigh more.

I have one on order. This weight limit I believe is the reason why they don’t allow you to option it with double lithium batteries + the generator. The standard configure is 320wh Lithium + Generator or 2 x 640wh of Lithium but you have to delete the generator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonnyo

Observer
Is there a technical reason why there won’t be an aftermarket option for a SRW conversion on the EKKO while keeping the higher GVWR?

a test drive of both a transit srw vs drw will quickly convience you that the drw is a nicer drive, a more stable/planted platform so for this heavy of a Rv... it s a much better idea. The drw wont limit you on dirt/offroad. Afterall...your out there with a house on your back...there is a limit to what you can do.

gregmchugh

Observer
a test drive of both a transit srw vs drw will quickly convience you that the drw is a nicer drive, a more stable/planted platform so for this heavy of a Rv... it s a much better idea. The drw wont limit you on dirt/offroad. Afterall...your out there with a house on your back...there is a limit to what you can do.
I don’t have a problem with DRW myself for the type of travel we would do in something like the EKKO, in fact I would prefer DRW, but other people seem to have issues with DRW for the way they use their truck and I was wondering if there was a SRW conversion possible.

Our current Kenworth truck had a conversion to very large super singles (Goodyear G278) designed for mud and sand so we don’t have any real worries about anything tire related in terms of rough roads, mud, sand, snow. Changing a tire would take some work but we do carry what we need to use our spare tire if we need it. 60,000 miles and no flat tires so far. The first set lasted over 50,000 miles which is good given the price of new ones... :)

gregmchugh

Observer

For a buyer who doesn’t want the DIY option, do you have a list of companies that can do a high quality build for a Transit camper similar to the one you have done using your panels, doors, windows, etc. ?

Keyne

Adventurer
For a buyer who doesn’t want the DIY option, do you have a list of companies that can do a high quality build for a Transit camper similar to the one you have done using your panels, doors, windows, etc. ?
Greg, Uro Camper is not in the US, but I have contacted them about their builds (they flatbed truck campers) and they mentioned that they could ship to the US for mounting on US trucks. I haven't asked about the Rhino build on a cutaway chassis but it might be worth asking them if it could be done on a Transit and shipped to the US I haven't seen their products in person but they seem to have a good reputation. I like how their builds are done. Their Flickr page has a lot of detailed pictures.

gregmchugh

Observer
Greg, Uro Camper is not in the US, but I have contacted them about their builds (they flatbed truck campers) and they mentioned that they could ship to the US for mounting on US trucks. I haven't asked about the Rhino build on a cutaway chassis but it might be worth asking them if it could be done on a Transit and shipped to the US I haven't seen their products in person but they seem to have a good reputation. I like how their builds are done. Their Flickr page has a lot of detailed pictures.

Yeah, I follow them and they do look nice.

Victorian

There are several companies currently working with us that will be offering the Transit cut away chassis and our campers. Feel free to reach out to: https://aeonrv.com
The others are:
Advanced RV in Ohio
Wilfrid& Adelstan in Quebec (no website yet but highly experienced building expedition trucks)

gregmchugh

Observer
There are several companies currently working with us that will be offering the Transit cut away chassis and our campers. Feel free to reach out to: https://aeonrv.com
The others are:
Advanced RV in Ohio
Wilfrid& Adelstan in Quebec (no website yet but highly experienced building expedition trucks)

Thanks, Advanced RV is pretty well known and the B-Box would be in a class of it’s own in terms of quality, price, and customization. Will be interesting to see their first one on a Transit.

Is the Transit you built a diesel or gasoline? If gasoline, what products did you choose for heat, hot water, and cooking?

Victorian

Thanks, Advanced RV is pretty well known and the B-Box would be in a class of it’s own in terms of quality, price, and customization. Will be interesting to see their first one on a Transit.

Is the Transit you built a diesel or gasoline? If gasoline, what products did you choose for heat, hot water, and cooking?
Our transit is gas. This was one of the reasons we choose that platform. No interest in the diesel drama. We heat with diesel (external tank-running kerosene), we cook either on camp stove or induction. All pending on the battery status. Hot water is generate with 12V. Works very nice! https://expeditionupfitter.com/collections/water-boilers/products/elgena-nc6-e-water-heater-12-volt They are extremely hard to get from the manufacturer and therefore we sell out of them as soon as we are getting them in. Our next shipment should arrive today or tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles