Redarc Brake controller install

SBSYNCRO

Ah good to know. Redarc publishes good material but no where do they mention that this calibration can take many hours over many days!

I was worried about my wiring being somehow off.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wADVr

Adventurer
interesting. Agreed on the literature being very complete but does not say the calibration will take long. Only says it takes as long as needed to determine direction of travel. It says it can be installed in any direction as long as it’s a solid mount but after reading this I wonder if there is a preferred orientation so it can learn faster. 300-400 miles seems crazy

I shpuld have mine wired up in a couple days, will see if it takes the same time.

SBSYNCRO

interesting. Agreed on the literature being very complete but does not say the calibration will take long. Only says it takes as long as needed to determine direction of travel. It says it can be installed in any direction as long as it’s a solid mount but after reading this I wonder if there is a preferred orientation so it can learn faster. 300-400 miles seems crazy

I shpuld have mine wired up in a couple days, will see if it takes the same time.

Not sure if you're doing it in a Jeep, but I found that it fit very well on the metal bracket just behind the removable "knee panel" on the driver's side. I then installed the switch using the REDARC switch panel into the little "vent hole" that is unused (at least in the rubicon). It was a sloppy fit, so I used a bit of epoxy to hold it in place. The advantage of this location was that it was VERY easy to install, very easy to fish the RJ45 cable to, and also it is out of my line of vision while driving at night so that the flashing light isn't distracting. The downside is that it does require you to take your eyes off the road and peer down past the steering wheel to be able to see it, but I just use it by feel. There are 40 clicks in a complete revolution. :)

Last edited:

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Not sure if you're doing it in a Jeep, but I found that it fit very well on the metal bracket just behind the removable "knee panel" on the driver's side. I then installed the switch using the redraw switch panel into the little "vent hole" that is unused (at least in the rubicon). It was a sloppy fit, so I used a bit of epoxy to hold it in place. The advantage of this location was that it was VERY easy to install, very easy to fish the RJ45 cable to, and also it is out of my line of vision while driving at night so that the flashing light isn't distracting. The downside is that it does require you to take your eyes off the road and peer down past the steering wheel to be able to see it, but I just use it by feel. There are 40 clicks in a complete revolution. :)

Same place I mounted mine.

wADVr

Adventurer
I mounted mine in the same spot ‘09 JK. The switch is in process along with some other wiring installations and cleanup.

wADVr

Adventurer
not to hijack but here is how I installed mine. Sounds like the same as you for the controller but my older JK didn’t come with switched on the left side of the column so I added this 5 switch bezel from Carling. The RedRc switch is mounted in a carling blank that I drilled out for the switch. switch housing etc came from otrattw.net

658EC80C-6586-4FFA-A590-EF9ED700503A.jpeg3B37D29C-4D73-4BCD-A140-7474AB54A6F3.jpeg

SBSYNCRO

not to hijack but here is how I installed mine. Sounds like the same as you for the controller but my older JK didn’t come with switched on the left side of the column so I added this 5 switch bezel from Carling. The RedRc switch is mounted in a carling blank that I drilled out for the switch. switch housing etc came from otrattw.net

View attachment 631778View attachment 631779

That switch panel looks nice. I thought about running this off my SPOD knock-off but instead utilized the power coming from the 12v outlet using one of these that had been powering a CB (which I’ve since removed after going the ham route)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I don’t know the RedARC, but my Tekonsha is supposed to be powered 100% of the time. Is it possible that you are constantly calibrating because you installed it with switched power, so it is experiencing a complete restart every time you use it?

SBSYNCRO

I don’t know the RedARC, but my Tekonsha is supposed to be powered 100% of the time. Is it possible that you are constantly calibrating because you installed it with switched power, so it is experiencing a complete restart every time you use it?

Thats actually a really good point. It could certainly be the issue. That being said, I drove for 3+ hours without turning off the ignition and it was still calibrating when I pulled off the highway and onto the dirt road approaching my camp...

wADVr

Adventurer
If you're running off of the power outlet 12v, make sure you check the fuse location. depending on which power outlet you are using (and assuming your newer jeep is the same as mine) converting it from ignition switched to constant is an easy task as the fuse can be moved one slot. I will try and find a picture to explain better. That said, I really think you're underpowering the unit with the 20 amp power outlet circuit, not saying that is anything to do with the calibrating issue but might be an issue later when utilizing the full power to the trailer brakes. I haven't got to wiring mine yet but will be running direct to the battery through a distribution block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles