I need some cheap recovery boards for snow and mud... Any suggestions?

D

Deleted member 9101

Obviously I don't want to get stuck, and I will be using extreme caution.... If life has taught me one thing tho, it is better to be prepared for the unexpected instead of living in ignorance by thinking that nothing will ever go wrong as long as you're careful.

I hope I never find myself having to use the recovery boards, but I sure would feel a lot better having them with me just in case!

I've been to some pretty gnarly places and never gotten stuck... It's really not that difficult to do.

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

SerenityNow, I believe the cheap ones will help get you out of a couple traction jams. I would just buy a pair of the cheap ones, use them as needed--for traction--not bridging something.
Even if cracked, they should still provide useful traction, most certainly to sustain the trip? And the reasons MaxTrax are so expensive is whatever proprietary plastics it is made of to be strong, yet flex w/o breaking is what the others are sorely lacking.

I would spend the money on the maxtrax. Support an Australian manufacturer and have a product that you will have for the rest of your life that can be used for any vehicle v. a product that will probably end up in the landfill after a few uses.

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

(Full disclosure--don't own them and have never used as of yet, but researched them a lot)

I think one of the advantages for the "cheapies" is you can buy two sets of two (total 4) like RNARMY for the price of one set (2) of MaxTs.

And with that, I would sharpie mark each one with a hash mark to delineate use record, to mark life expectancy, feel the need to rotate, or wait till the first pair breaks, etc. If you just use the first two, you will also always have a pristine back up pair. Having an extra set may also help a bit for a tow vehicle yanking you out by giving them a little traction? YMMV, but I like the options of four decent vs two amazing (MTs). Plus, you can strap them to each side so everyone on each side of your ride can see how dope you are :cool:

The advantage being is they all fit into each other (I assume) and the four of a kind might get you better stacked to get higher, build a better bridge, raise one wheel, or two for both, etc.

Still after watching Roni Dahl beet the snot out of them, for MTs their appear to only be one close substitute for longevity, etc.

yo dawg.jpg

rnArmy

Adventurer
(Full disclosure--don't own them and have never used as of yet, but researched them a lot)

I think one of the advantages for the "cheapies" is you can buy two sets of two (total 4) like RNARMY for the price of one set (2) of MaxTs.

And with that, I would sharpie mark each one with a hash mark to delineate use record, to mark life expectancy, feel the need to rotate, or wait till the first pair breaks, etc. If you just use the first two, you will also always have a pristine back up pair. Having an extra set may also help a bit for a tow vehicle yanking you out by giving them a little traction? YMMV, but I like the options of four decent vs two amazing (MTs). Plus, you can strap them to each side so everyone on each side of your ride can see how dope you are :cool:

The advantage being is they all fit into each other (I assume) and the four of a kind might get you better stacked to get higher, build a better bridge, raise one wheel, or two for both, etc.

Still after watching Roni Dahl beet the snot out of them, for MTs their appear to only be one close substitute for longevity, etc.

View attachment 630406

Actually, its even better than that.

X-Bulls average about $75/pair (two boards). MaxTrax average about $300/pair (two boards); actually $300 - $325/pair depending on where you look.

So for the price of ONE SET/two (2) boards of the MaxTrax ($300) you could get FOUR SETS (eight (8) boards!) of the X-Bulls ($75 + $75 + $75 + $75 = $300).

I really enjoyed that Roni Dahl video. He really abused those board during his test - more than I think I would ever put my boards through during a recovery.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles