Upland Hunting - General

Wyo37

Stoeger M3020, not sure if they make a youth version. They're lightweight and work well from my experience. Not a looker, but functional.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Had a preserve hunt with some buddies this past weekend where we bagged quite a few pin raised Quail and Chukar. We had some of the quail last night and a mess of Chukar nuggets this evening, those are the misses favorite.

noVCdik.jpg

dox5dpE.jpg

Had a preserve hunt with some buddies this past weekend where we bagged quite a few pin raised Quail and Chukar. We had some of the quail last night and a mess of Chukar nuggets this evening, those are the misses favorite.

noVCdik.jpg

dox5dpE.jpg
How are you cooking the nuggets? I like them rolled in egg and panko, with a light sprinkle of creole seasoning. Skillet browned and 15 minutes at 350° in the oven.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I cut the breast into pieces and stick them in a bag with 3-4 beat eggs, minced garlic, minced ginger, salt and pepper, and a splash of orange juice. I leave them in that mix for 48-72 hours and then I roll the pieces in parmesan and then in a flour, corn meal, and an all spice mix. I fry them for 3-4 minutes per side in a pan on the stove. I've been doing it like that for years and the misses eats them up as fast as I can get them out of the oil. There are so many ways to skin this cat but I usually do my Quail/Chukar nuggets like that.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Tex68w
I did a preserve haunting in NY with my gf and it was a lot of fun. We purchased some sort of a 'starter pack" which included 12 birds; 9 chukars and 3 pheasants.
We killed 9 birds. She killed 4 birds, including one big rooster. For her it was a huge deal since she never had hunted before nor she ever seen a good dog work.
So now she understands my lust to upland hunting. :D She will be on board which is great.
One good thing is that these place lets people to train dogs and sell trainers birds too. Which is a good news for me since things are not as readily available be in my area.

Having said that, it's one thing to hunt a released game and one thing is to chase them in the wild. Although I heard some preserves, especially in the West, almost look like a natural, wild place.
Can wait to hit upstate NY or Maine next year for grouse and woodcock... and hopefully someday I'll come to the West.
My dream game to hunt (in the wild) is chukars, White-tailed ptarmigan in Colorado or Utah and sharp-tails in the plains.
This is why I need a proper van :D

Last edited:

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
The first wild chukar hunt is for the experience. Subsequent chukar hunts are for revenge.

It's interesting. I have never hunted chukars in the Western states (Oregon, Nevada, Idaho) but I have hunted them in their natural habitat which is Mediterranean and Near East.
The topography was not nearly as hard as it seem in in Nevada or Oregon. In those areas it really might be like a ravage hunting.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Tex68w
I did a preserve haunting in NY with my gf and it was a lot of fun. We purchased some sort of a 'starter pack" which included 12 birds; 9 chukars and 3 pheasants.
We killed 9 birds. She killed 4 birds, including one big rooster. For her it was a huge deal since she never had hunted before nor she ever seen a good dog work.
So now she understands my lust to upland hunting. :D She will be on board which is great.
One good thing is that these place lets people to train dogs and sell trainers birds too. Which is a good news for me since things are not as readily available be in my area.

Having said that, it's one thing to hunt a released game and one thing is to chase them in the wild. Although I heard some preserves, especially in the West, almost look like a natural, wild place.
Can wait to hit upstate NY or Maine next year for grouse and woodcock... and hopefully someday I'll come to the West.
My dream game to hunt (in the wild) is chukars, White-tailed ptarmigan in Colorado or Utah and sharp-tails in the plains.
This is why I need a proper van :D

Great to hear that the lady friend is hooked, that certainly helps ease the edge of the cost and time involved lol. I agree that preserve hunts aren't quite the same as chasing wild birds and I much prefer the wild birds, but preserves are a necessary evil. They allow those that otherwise wouldn't have access to wild game to be able to hunt and train. Sometimes it's nice to knock out a hunt in under two hours which is the norm on a preserve hunt, that and the action is more consistent as the birds tend to be coveyed up in a much smaller area.

Wild Chukar will make you question your sanity and your faith lol. I'd love to get out and chase them in Nevada one day.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles