How Annoying is a Backseat Fridge?

Expedition Essentials

Approved Vendor : Expedition Essentials
Sweet! Is the plate attached to internal angle aluminum frame?

Got any pics of the work in progress? I’m planning something similar for an upcoming Tundra. Probably with VHB tape and some rivets.

Have worked some with aluminum, bit not bending on a brake. Are you using a commercial brake, or a DIY bender (which is what I’d have to do)?
I will try and dig up a few, internally it has a steel substructure that is a mounting point for the slides, these bolt into the factory seat attach points, then the aluminum plate skin ties it all together.

I don't have a commercial brake, just a 48" grizzly tools box and pan brake; I push it to its limits most of the time and use an extension bar to bend the thicker stuff. I really need a hydraulic version but they are big money

brokenhorn

I pulled the 60 portion of my rear seat and made an aluminum platform for my 40qt fridge. I also made a removable dog platform that i can put two pelican suitcases under. And when not traveling with the dog i can remove it for a deeper flat surface.

I can reach in the fridge from the drivers seat fairly easily.
9cc630085f8f948cca0d52ca85c72b7b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Our current plan is to do a 60-delete in the backseat of a Gladiator to install a fridge. So the fridge would sit on the passenger side. It would be awesome to fit it on a slide, so we can easily access storage underneath and fully lift the lid. The door of the Gladiator is cut oddly, so slide clearance is limited. We'll put a 270-degree awning on that side, so I'll have shelter from the elements while cooking outside. This is for a multi-year journey around the world, so trying to give a lot of thought to how it will all work smoothly.

(none)

Adventurer
Not the best pics, but i have my dometic replacing part of the back seat. Nissan Frontier Crew Cab. Front seat is all the way back in the picture. Not bad to load or unload fridge. Can access it with the window down or door open. The only thing i don't like is the lid can't open enough to stay open, hasn't bothered me too much, will eventually come up with something for that.

I like it here much more than in the bed of the truck. Keeps it clean (i have an ARE topper and Decked system, but the dogs travel back there), no need for a slide, and it sits directly above the sub so it's not blocking anything. The other side of the seat was removed and replaced with a hinged piece of wood. Flat loading and i still access the box under.

50331595771_7ebb7fb77d_c.jpg

50331595796_f9bb34c410_c.jpg

eugene

Explorer
Most trucks have the cab vent on the rear wall of the cab hidden by the bed, I wonder if you could remove some of the interior covering and fix up an exhaust tube from the refrigerator to the cab vent to let the heat out.

kwill

Observer
Most trucks have the cab vent on the rear wall of the cab hidden by the bed, I wonder if you could remove some of the interior covering and fix up an exhaust tube from the refrigerator to the cab vent to let the heat out.
You could, in theory, but there is no real need to in my experience. They don't generate much heat.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I find the need to "climb in" to get stuff out of the fridge is a PIA. I have had fridges overheat in closed cabins more than once in the Arizona heat. Even with my fridges in the back seat I always leave the fridge window open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier