Garmin Overlander

Mine too, just one ram mount and a suction cup.

I checked into the Overlander briefly awhile ago but did a lol at the price, actually sent a pic to my wife to get a rise out of her over the price and moved on.

Last night we were at an electronics store and she brings this over, "is this what you was wanting?"

I think the box had been opened but everything was still sealed inside and everything was there. So now I have a new toy to figure out.

I think $700 is steep but for what I paid it does have a lot of bang per buck especially for those of us with older rigs.

Received mine directly from Garmin and it was wasn’t sealed. No sticker,nothing. Pretty sure they are unsealed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moto-treks

On the road
Mine too, just one ram mount and a suction cup.

I checked into the Overlander briefly awhile ago but did a lol at the price, actually sent a pic to my wife to get a rise out of her over the price and moved on.

Last night we were at an electronics store and she brings this over, "is this what you was wanting?"

I think the box had been opened but everything was still sealed inside and everything was there. So now I have a new toy to figure out.

I think $700 is steep but for what I paid it does have a lot of bang per buck especially for those of us with older rigs.

Thats a good price.

85_Ranger4x4

Received mine directly from Garmin and it was wasn’t sealed. No sticker,nothing. Pretty sure they are unsealed.

All the stuff was still in the bubblewrap inside and the actual unit was taped in a little baggy. There were fingernail marks on the box from prying open the locking tab on the flap, I am pretty sure somebody opened the box and didn't do anything else with it.

I was able to add a custom Map overlay via Base Camp. It was a land ownership overlay that I downloaded from GPSfileDepot. It didn't render well at night, but it did work. I'll keep updating this thread as I work with the unit more.

roving1

It is still crazy this comes with a mini USB plug in 2020 when USB C is more than capable of powering it. Every damn year I have to buy a mini USB cable because I lost the old cable and it's ALWAYS ONLY FOR A GARMIN DEVICE to transfer some data or update it. :mad:

It is still crazy this comes with a mini USB plug in 2020 when USB C is more than capable of powering it. Every damn year I have to buy a mini USB cable because I lost the old cable and it's ALWAYS ONLY FOR A GARMIN DEVICE to transfer some data or update it. :mad:

While I agree, I imagine you will rarely have to plug this unit in. I only plugged it in to update the unit itself with Garmin Express. I found it to be much more reliable and MUCH faster as the WiFi is pretty slow. It’s not meant to be powered consistently with its USB input. Tracks and routes and be uploaded to Garmin Explore which I’ve found to be reliable as well.

roving1

While I agree, I imagine you will rarely have to plug this unit in. I only plugged it in to update the unit itself with Garmin Express. I found it to be much more reliable and MUCH faster as the WiFi is pretty slow. It’s not meant to be powered consistently with its USB input. Tracks and routes and be uploaded to Garmin Explore which I’ve found to be reliable as well.

Sure but I could still ad-hoc charge the thing with any of the dozen USB C cables/Charge bricks etc I have lying around vs needing the stupid mini USB. I have this happen to me all the time sitting in a tent or around a campsite with the Garmins I do have. Also the batteries take a beating in these units sitting in vehicles hot and cold cycling and the battery life will be total garbage in just a few years further exacerbating the desire to be able to charge easily away from the dock.

I've loaded the Amazon app store and installed a few things. Screenshot_20201207-161558.png

Most notably, Wikipedia and The Weather Channel. Wikipedia is neat in that you can quickly save an article for offline viewing. I found some covering Oregon ghost towns. GPS coordinates are found in nearly every article.

Screenshot_20201207-161406.png

I also added the The Weather Channel. There wasn't a good weather app. InReach would be nice to have, but if I grab good cell service, I can hotspot and grab a weather map.

Screenshot_20201207-161542.png

Finally got to see the traffic receiver working today. Pretty neat to hardwire this in. It's hidden under the dash.

Also paired a bluetooth mouse. Android works well for this. I could scroll zoon in and out of the maps etc.

Screenshot_20201208-170440[1].png

moto-treks

On the road
Finally got to see the traffic receiver working today. Pretty neat to hardwire this in. It's hidden under the dash.

I found the traffic receiver okay. A little slow to connect/update when compared to Apple Maps but useful when it’s the only traffic option one has.

moto-treks

On the road
The Garmin HD Digital cable. It works but initial sync takes awhile. So, if you power up the device and select a destination you will not get traffic along the route if you select the traffic tab. I can’t remember the actual verbiage but it’s searching for a signal. Once underway you will get updates.

H3LV

SO, I bought the Overlander during the Black Friday deals and after updating the maps have lost my Ultimate Public campsites POIs. Has anyone else had this happen?

SO, I bought the Overlander during the Black Friday deals and after updating the maps have lost my Ultimate Public campsites POIs. Has anyone else had this happen?
It is supposed to be loaded according to their listing on the web. I'll check my unit and report back. I wasn't aware of that POI database.

POI.jpg

H3LV

Funny thing is I got it for that reason. Im on my second one since I bought it. I received my first device on the 3rd of December after going through the update procedure I found it was missing. I thought maybe I had done something wrong and opened a support ticket with Garmin. After some back and forth they sent me a new one. This second device I got yesterday and I methodically went through the update procedures, first I updated the software to 4.80 I then checked and the Ultimate Campgrounds was still there, second I updated the maps. It was after this step that the were missing. So, now I know I did nothing wrong the first time. I don't know if I should return this or hope for a fix to be released.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles