Transit AWD build overland style-I'm back in a van

D

Deleted member 9101

If you want to have some fun... Get with Brew City Boost and have them do a custom tune for your van. If you think the 3.5 is good stock...you'll love it tuned.

D

Deleted member 9101

Just tell me you will be putting a toilet...this is a non negotiable requirement for my wife...

Lucky... My wife "needs" a flushing toilet, shower, full kitchen, queen sized bed (or larger), place for our family to sit together and eat inside, the ability to move around with out bumping into each other, and air conditioning...lol.

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
I noticed you using steam on that fabric you cased the first window with. Can you give some details on what was going on there and the fabric you chose?

coguzzi

Adventurer
I noticed you using steam on that fabric you cased the first window with. Can you give some details on what was going on there and the fabric you chose?
Steam is the Upholster's best friend they always say. i picked the hottest day of the year to steam a new headliner into a VW Karmann Ghia once. one man and a steamer in the smallest place he could find--ugh. steam really helps relax the fabric so it can be formed and either stretched or shrank. im still waiting for 2 windows which is also why i have not fully insulated the ceiling yet--no sense in streaming my insulation

this particular fabric is a tweed, some call it interweave, but has the ever important Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (MVSS-302) which technically is required. I personally just really like working with tweed-durable, warm, water/stain resistant etc.

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Thanks for the insight. I’ll keep it in mind for my wall panels. I dream of Alcantara on them.

ITTOG

Lucky... My wife "needs" a flushing toilet, shower, full kitchen, queen sized bed (or larger), place for our family to sit together and eat inside, the ability to move around with out bumping into each other, and air conditioning...lol.
So did you buy her a house with her own wing.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Farfrumwork

I really like the ceiling panels as is. I'd clear coat them, but that's me. A light colored wood ceiling would be nice and bright and add some visual warmth.

I'm know you have your materials selected already though. It will be sweet upholstered too.

coguzzi

Adventurer
I really like the ceiling panels as is. I'd clear coat them, but that's me. A light colored wood ceiling would be nice and bright and add some visual warmth.

I'm know you have your materials selected already though. It will be sweet upholstered too.
You do remember I have an upholstery business dont you-ha. I actually am liking the look myself. But I left a gap in them that would be taken up with upholstery, so kind of to late to change my mind now, and I already have the fabric here (A buttload of it at that). Other side of the coin is upholstered panels also offer some sound deadening and insulation

but I do agree, it looks sweet

coguzzi

Adventurer
IMG_4506.jpg
finally got all my panels prebuilt (couple more no pictured here) so i jacked the van up to do some things underneath.

propane tank mount is first order of business Manchester 6813 10x23 5.5 gallon. this is for heat, hot water and cooking
had to make a cut into a non structural piece of metal (gives the floor a lil more rigidity is its only purpose, cabinets are going there). i wanted to get the tank as high as possible for those off road explorations
IMG_4513.jpg

the 23" tank fit perfectly between the 2 "structural" frame member, very tightly actually.
IMG_4520.jpg

all brackets i TIG welded and thru bolted through the "structural" frame members
IMG_4531.jpg

tank mounted about 1.5" higher than the gas tank, so not the lowest point and well protected. still very easy to fill with plenty of access for the attendant, but not very visible from the side view
IMG_4540.jpgIMG_4541.jpgIMG_4542.jpg

now im onto the Van Compass suspension upgrade, but messed up my back doing so--stuck on the couch right now--doh

Attachments

• IMG_4520.jpg
    IMG_4520.jpg
    594.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4540.jpg
    IMG_4540.jpg
    514.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4520.jpg
    IMG_4520.jpg
    594.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Forum statistics