Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

JB30

Yeah deep down I know that’s the right solution.. guess I’m just dreading the process...

How did you support the top while you unbolted one side?

I drilled through the Mac’s Custom Tie Down VersaTie L Track and mounted it copying the existing bolt holes from the lifting mechanism. Definitely a little more work, but the results are nice and clean.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Yeah deep down I know that’s the right solution.. guess I’m just dreading the process...

How did you support the top while you unbolted one side?

I live in San Diego. So I went to Ursa Minor and took a templet of the lifting mechanism. Came home, drilled out the L track with the correct hole spacing and then returned to Ursa Minor. Kris installed it prior to me picking up the top. Ursa Minor uses an overhead hoist to support the top. Sorry not much help.

larock1971

Anyone who’s installed their own rails / rack and have stories to tell?

I installed a set of Yakima 60" Tracks with CapNuts. I drilled out the tracks to match lift mechanism bolts then drilled holes in the top. I took my time, the hardest part was sinking that first hole through the top.

JB30

Gotcha. Yeah like so many things with the UM it’s “wish I’d have thought of that before I got it installed” ;

I live in San Diego. So I went to Ursa Minor and took a templet of the lifting mechanism. Came home, drilled out the L track with the correct hole spacing and then returned to Ursa Minor. Kris installed it prior to me picking up the top. Ursa Minor uses an overhead hoist to support the top. Sorry not much help.

JB30

I installed a set of Yakima 60" Tracks with CapNuts. I drilled out the tracks to match lift mechanism bolts then drilled holes in the top. I took my time, the hardest part was sinking that first hole through the top.

Did you just drill out holes to go over the existing bolts / washers and then drilled new holes for the track? Was contemplating that, but that would mean drilling into the lift track somewhere most likely. Guess it’s the lesser of available evils..

larock1971

Did you just drill out holes to go over the existing bolts / washers and then drilled new holes for the track?
Yes, I lined up the first hole in the track with the middle lift mechanism bolt, then drilled the track for the other two bolts. Before sink holes through the top for the remaining hardware.

Back on Message #2051 there are a few pictures that may help visualize it a little.

I bought my UM used and had the top sprayed with LineX, they sprayed over the hardware. So you might notice when I installed the tracks the washers were basically inset into the coating.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Are any one of you using the Hellwig rear sway bar with your Ursa Minor J30? I just returned from a nine day trip and was thinking about a possible upgrade. I had three kayaks on top of the Jeep which I'll never do again (tired of taking them off every night), and the Jeep was a little dodgy in the rear end when cornering and changing lanes. I'm running OME 2620 heavy duty rear springs currently and the Jeep scaled at @ 6300 lbs this trip. I'm a real safety ninny and I'm wondering if it's money well spent or just a $200 waste!

JDaPP

Adventurer
I have the hellwig rear sway bar and it definitely helps. It will still feel like a jeep but definitely seemed to sway less after the install. Most important test was wife said it improved the handling

Pixler

Unfortunately I don't have experience with the hellwig rear sway bar. I would not load more than 30kg/66lbs on the j30. The holding mechanism of the roof is a little fragile...if you load 3 kayaks to the roof and need to make an emergency brake on the highway, I am sure the mechanism could break and the roof including kayaks will fly in front of you. When transporting 2 or more kayaks I would use a trailer. It is much more save and more comfortable to drive. Just my opinion.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I have the hellwig rear sway bar and it definitely helps. It will still feel like a jeep but definitely seemed to sway less after the install. Most important test was wife said it improved the handling
Thanks, I went ahead and ordered it for my birthday!

Unfortunately I don't have experience with the hellwig rear sway bar. I would not load more than 30kg/66lbs on the j30. The holding mechanism of the roof is a little fragile...if you load 3 kayaks to the roof and need to make an emergency brake on the highway, I am sure the mechanism could break and the roof including kayaks will fly in front of you. When transporting 2 or more kayaks I would use a trailer. It is much more save and more comfortable to drive. Just my opinion.
Yeah, I agree and I won't be doing that again! It worked out but they were a pain getting them up and down daily even if I weren't using them. I told my wife and daughters on the way home that we'd put them on the trailer next time. I could see one up there in the future on a solo trip but that's it. I haven't weighed them but I much prefer keeping the weight low and my Jeep is overweight as it is. The biggest reason I was thinking of the sway bar is because I'm a worry wart and I'd like my Jeep to handle in an emergency and not end up on my lid. With the added weight of the mods I've made I'm beginning to be very weight conscious of what goes into the Jeep. I've already removed 140 pounds of unneeded accessories and bags, boxes, etc, and I'm looking for more things to come off. I see bigger brakes in my future as well. Thank you both for the help!IMG_2636 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

I've finally filmed a massive review video of my J30, this might be the most detailed review of this roof ever.

In detail I go through all the features, optional upgrades, modifications I've made, the price, and cover all the questions I get asked about this thing!
Grab a comfortable chair - this is a BIG one!

Let me know if you have any more questions!

-Dan

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Hi All,

I've finally filmed a massive review video of my J30, this might be the most detailed review of this roof ever.

In detail I go through all the features, optional upgrades, modifications I've made, the price, and cover all the questions I get asked about this thing!
-Dan
Now you've got me looking all over the house for that spirit level that I know I have somewhere.........Great video and thanks for a couple ideas!

rustypayne

Hi All,

Let me know if you have any more questions!

-Dan

That is now the definitive review of the Ursa Minor. Between you and Venture4wd it's a great testament to the durability of the tops. On top of that you've both rolled them on the side with nary a scratch. :ROFLMAO:

mlochowitz

Can anyone recommend a good dealer or shop in the midwest (I'm in Green Bay, WI) what would do the install or has some done an install in the past? Thanks!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles