2020 F150 "BAWG Build"

phsycle

Adventurer
Yep I’m ready to get some sort of bed tent/cover thing in the back for the four of us and start enjoying the outdoors again.

Bed tents are a hassle. You have to remove everything from the truck bed to set it up.
I personally use and prefer a good ol ground tent. Got a nice big canvas Kodiak from Cabelas few years ago. 6’6” so you can stand up in it.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Bed tents are a hassle. You have to remove everything from the truck bed to set it up.
I personally use and prefer a good ol ground tent. Got a nice big canvas Kodiak from Cabelas few years ago. 6’6” so you can stand up in it.

Ya, after doing more research and looking/thinking this morning over tea while my kids chewed loudly in my face (at least that's what it sounded like) I decided I am just going to go with a hard canopy like I had on my last truck, especially since it has the bedrug and use that for when conditions are nasty but then just get a good old fashioned family tent like I used to use with my family growing up. Then if we have to we can just split parents and kids between the truck cab and bed. Another positive to having a bench seat vs a center console.

I also looked into RTTs and Racks... holy smokes. you better hate sleeping on the ground and love climbing ladders late at night for the cost of those things. I never knew.

phsycle

Adventurer
I also looked into RTTs and Racks... holy smokes. you better hate sleeping on the ground and love climbing ladders late at night for the cost of those things. I never knew.

Never understood the appeal of RTT’s. Aside from the perceived cool factor from the overblanding crowd—which is important ?, sitting high in the wind and climbing ladders would get old quick.

Your set up is what had worked for me. Us in the tent and kids in the truck bed w shell. I set up a string of Xmas lights in the bed and they thought it was the coolest.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.

Tongue firmly in cheek.

5f0.jpg

I bought one when I lived in Hawaii. Paid like 400 bucks to have it shipped there, sold it for like 200 over MSRP after 3 years of using it [fairly regularly]. For the cost, I just incorporate a few hotel stays on my trips. Plus the added weight all the time is low on my list of things I want to do to my truck.

Jsweezy

Explorer
After almost 2 weeks of driving around I finally needed a fill...

A9419400-B395-47A9-9045-30C928D49955.jpeg
1C3A903A-49FE-4DC2-9850-C2074DB69C57.jpeg

And another pic of the truck just because....
3E113375-3138-49E3-BCAA-74251DE9EB45.jpeg

Im debating removing that lower fairing but I think I’m going to wait until I get some legitimate skid plates to do that. It actually looks pretty good for a piece of plastic that hangs down and make the truck look less 4wdy.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
My 2 cents is to leave it on until you find yourself being held back by that valance. It will drop your MPG by removing it... how much, I can't say.

Jsweezy

Explorer
I will let my laziness and the fact that I’m moving get the best of me and it shall stay on until I have decided I have nothing better to do than care about a piece of plastic on my truck.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
If you don't really use your truck for a truck it'll be fine, otherwise it will rip off the first time you're off road.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Is it even a #overlandF150 if it doesn’t have a builtright dash mount with 2 ram mounts on it?

C683E52E-CCBA-4D19-95CF-59012E4BC68E.jpeg
31DF5DDD-B88C-40F3-84D2-61CF14C2E146.jpeg

I was so excited to get it on there it literally took me 20 minutes to mount the built right panel and then another 2 to mount the Ram mounts. I have never had them before and holy smokes they are rock solid.

I actually researched everything trying to avoid buying these because they are $$ but I decided to “stop being poor” and just get what I knew would hold and make me happy.

Took a trip to the airport and back this evening and man it’s amazing having such a massive OsmAnd map as a gps ha ha. Also, why isn’t OsmAnd a bigger deal? I feel like it’s a solid program. This Samsung A7 I got from Costco has been doing great and has the built in gps which is nice, surprisingly accurate.

obxtiger

Loving your truck. waiting to see whats next. Looks familiar. I'm running a white 19 6.5 bed super crew too. Found a cheap topper. ridiculous what you can buy a year old used one for compared to new. 400 for mine left me money for my EZ topper lift. Too old and fat for ladders.
newest 126.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

The ‘15-‘20 F-150 only had a damped tailgate as an option on lower trims (becomes standard around Larait/King Ranch). To get it from the factory you must order the bed step. To put in in, I believe you only need to remove the tailgate and a taillight (for access to the backside of something). There are videos on YouTube.

Or you can add the 26.00 version from Amazon. No need to remove the tailgate or tail lights.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
My 2 cents is to leave it on until you find yourself being held back by that valance. It will drop your MPG by removing it... how much, I can't say.

For reference, this is what I got in my Raptor after a road trip mixed with speeds at 85mph, 75mph, highway construction, mountain passes, and town driving. I don’t think the lower valance does much.
A9D294ED-5F78-462B-A225-F3AF22100A17.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior