Last resort fire starter?

trae

Adventurer
Wondering if anyone’s using road flares for fire starter? Here in the PNW it’s always wet so thinking of adding something that’ll start a fire no matter the conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trae

Adventurer
I guess I was thinking more backpacking scenario. I’ve seen fires start with a propane torch that sure works in a pinch.

I never used road flares but most seem to be a foot or so long; too long for an emergency pouch. How about this , any experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NatersXJ6

Explorer
There are a lot of layers to “last resort”, but if I’m backpacking I’m not carrying a road flare... too heavy and single use. Backpacking and maybe gonna die without fire I’m going for one of those little magnesium blocks with a piece of hacksaw blade on a key ring. I’ll be using a pocket knife to hack into bark or a log deep enough to get dry shavings or tired and annoyed enough to end myself with the pocket knife and not have to deal with using that little magnesium block!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Not to hijack your thread, but this got me thinking about all the ways to make fire with a car. Many of them are easy, some are better done with your friends car, as they can be one-way trips! My favorite “forgot matches” moment so far is when I lit a BBQ by sparking jumper cables together. It got a bit wooshy and fire-bally but it worked a treat!

jdlobb

Adventurer
Not to hijack your thread, but this got me thinking about all the ways to make fire with a car. Many of them are easy, some are better done with your friends car, as they can be one-way trips! My favorite “forgot matches” moment so far is when I lit a BBQ by sparking jumper cables together. It got a bit wooshy and fire-bally but it worked a treat!

on a serious note, this is why it's not a terrible idea to keep a ball of steel wool in your survival kit

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
Metal match......cotton balls saturated with petroleum jelly. Metal matches (ferrocerium fire starters) come in various sizes, make sure to get one large enough that you can hold it and effectively use it if you get hypothermic! Absolutely the lightest, most reliable method. One saturated cotton ball will burn for about 10 minutes, long enough to dry out wet tinder.

I teach primitive fire making by spinning sticks, several different ways, also teach personal safety and survival for search and rescue.

Steel wool is ok but if it gets wet it needs to be dried out before it will burn, put it in your shirt next to your body for a bit using your body heat to get as much wetness out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles