Conti MPT81 Pressure (and sneak peak at the NEW ones)

Roverchef

Adventurer
All the #'s you need to get the right pressures are right in front of you. Between the sticker on your door jam indicating your rigs F/R weights and what the pressure ratings on the actual tire you choose to use should put you in the "ballpark" of the correct pressures if you do the simple math.

maxbergi

Bringing this back up since i just weighted my truck and stumbled across it

My steering axle is at 8400 lbs, drive axle 9700 lbs
Currently running 70PSI which based on that continental chart would be ~5500 lbs per tire.

Seems like I gotta air down a bit to ~40 front and 55 rear.

@RAM5500 CAMPERTHING How do u like the mpt81s?

kmarshall

This is my custom title
Thanks

WOW, that split seems quite extreme..

You run the front at 35 on pavement?
Sorry for the slow reply... I left into the backcountry for a bit!

Yes, 35/90 is what Earthroamer is putting on the official door sill sticker and manual for highway. It used to be ~55 up front I think. I'm not sure what drove the change in guidance.

OLDsfords

Has anyone figured out what the "next generation" mpt tire differences are? Referencing the first post.

I'm looking to step into a set of 275/80r20s mpt81s here in a few months.

These should mount to a standard 20" wheel right? I'd like to use 2005+ superduty alloy wheels for both strength, cost, and looks.

The best deal I can find is on eBay from Colony Tire, out of Norfolk Virginia.

Thanks,

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Has anyone figured out what the "next generation" mpt tire differences are? Referencing the first post.

I'm looking to step into a set of 275/80r20s mpt81s here in a few months.

These should mount to a standard 20" wheel right? I'd like to use 2005+ superduty alloy wheels for both strength, cost, and looks.

The best deal I can find is on eBay from Colony Tire, out of Norfolk Virginia.

Thanks,

Even after talking with several folks directly at Continental and several large truck shops, apparently the only new thing is a little different sidewall graphic design and they had DOT printed on them.

I’ve heard (not confirmed) some of the older ones didn’t have the stamp, but it’s the exact same tire.

Careful buying the cheap ones on eBay, ask for a date code. Some are 6-7 years old. I wouldn’t touch them with a pole.

Only that @java fella buys tires like that ?

Having raced motorcycles most of my life, rubber changes (hardens) when it sits around for years. Ask anyone that races if they’d run old/new tires.

Dont buy online unless they’re willing to provide a date code.

“An ounce of prevention saves a pound of headache”
-Me

OLDsfords

Great advice! I didn't consider doing that, but these are a different market altogether compared to how I've bought tires before.

I've ran used/old tires before because of budget constraints, and have always found buying new to be the best $/mile when it was all said and done.

My setup weighs right around 7500#, gear laden, so these should last quite a while tread wise if I can get new and keep the pressure right.

When I get them on the rig, I'll post back.

Thanks!

Korey H

aab003d2f2d641366dc5e12bc5e4a257.jpg

037fa1c7d8b4f011772ac92703b24c14.jpg

Just got my MPTs mounted to my 1st Attack wheels. Tires via eBay from Colony Tire. They’re current date codes (confirmed in advance) and had great customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLDsfords

aab003d2f2d641366dc5e12bc5e4a257.jpg

037fa1c7d8b4f011772ac92703b24c14.jpg

Just got my MPTs mounted to my 1st Attack wheels. Tires via eBay from Colony Tire. They’re current date codes (confirmed in advance) and had great customer service.

That does look great! And specific confidence from seller. Thanks!

Did you balance with dyna beads?

Korey H

That does look great! And specific confidence from seller. Thanks!

Did you balance with dyna beads?

Sorry just saw this. Had traditionally balanced. I need some Highway time to check it out to see. If any wobble I figure I’d go centramtics.

OLDsfords

Sounds good. I'm going to do the same. Making sure to buy whatever the biggest centramatic will fit 2005+ superduty axles.

I picked up my 20" alloy wheels last night.
But will have to wait a while for the tires. Since these have some tread left, and my axle swap isn't done yet .

Not sure the kind ranch copper/gold color goes with the ford gray either.

Oh well

Attachments

• KIMG1564.JPG
    KIMG1564.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 35
  • KIMG1559.JPG
    KIMG1559.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 33

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member