How Much Worst is an 80 in an Emergency Maneuver (swerve) than a 100?

SoyBoy

I just viewed a video where dude with an 80 sold it to buy a brand new Prado. Main reason was safety on pavement - which in reality ends up being 95% of the driving you do on expedition. (yes the 80 is better/stronger on trails)

I ask this as I am considering an 80 for expedition use (NA to SA) and am very close (not done) to buying an 80. This will entail a lot of driving on new to me roads with a population that does not follow all the laws of the road! My thinking is the more you can evade a potential incident the better (within reason - we ain't talking a 911 status). This happened at least once with my 8k lb 2017 van where I had to swerve onto the gravel shoulder when a vehicle stopped short to make a left-hand turn. I attribute a successful swerve to
1 - IFS
2 - upgraded shocks (did not wallow as much)
3 -sturdy sidewall tire (K02)
4 - great driving skills-;)

So - If you have had experience with both or either - I'd appreciate some input. (or should I just grow a pair - get the 80 & move on!)

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I've driven lots of vehicles. If you want the ultimate. A 2500 usa built truck has it. Brakes and handling.

That said I have a 1995 FZJ8o. And it has ABS. It has plenty of power to stop. Its on 35" tall tires and handles just fine. With the sway-bars connected and everything kept off the roof. I have a roof rack and don't use it unless it to haul the roof rack tent up there. With a roof top tent it becomes a bit top heavy. But if you have driving skills and drive with some knowledge that you have the rooftop tent, you should be fine.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My 93 80 on 34’s was light years better than the 4runner it replaced. It handled quite well, its wide and weight is generally down low. I will say one thing like all short wheelbase trucks tire pressure plays a big role in handling especially with loaded weight in the back. The 80 also goes through brake pads like candy due to its weight and being able to fit small wheels and big rubber. Add heavy gear and pads will be a every 10,000 miles possibly less deal. Get a tad soft on the rear tires vs load and the 80 gets a little cranky but thats an easy fix just up the psi.
More than anything its not really a big SUV so long big trips space for gear would be challenging. Probably the worst aspect is the absolutely abysmal mileage/range which is the single biggest reason I sold mine after 7yrs and also why my recent purchase never involved looking at any Toyota trucks. The replacement for my J80 was a 07 Sequoia which was far far superior road machine than the J80 regarding, range, engine, load and it was quite impressive even stock off road.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Silliest reason to switch to a Prado I’ve ever heard. So much of this “swerve” scenario are too variable to even counter.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
As has been mentioned, too many variables but, get what will meet the vast majority of your needs, up fit it and then take to the track/road course and practice to learn the skills to handle the specific capabilities and limitations of that vehicle. Good luck.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Have you driven the 80? Did you try evasive action in one already? Maybe drive and 80 and a 100 and compare. Go with what you feel most confident in.

I had a 1991 80 and wasn't terribly impressed with the vehicle. The '03 Xterra that replaced it was a much better vehicle to me. I know. Blasphemy.

alanymarce

My experience includes a couple of years owning and driving an 80 in Southern and Eastern Africa and lots of time in 100s in North Africa and South West Asia (as well as lots of other vehicles in many places). I don't think that I could say that either was better than the other, so I think you should go for other factors in your decision.

One key point - the handling of any vehicle is affected to a great extent by how much it's loaded. I've seen lots of vehicles which have been overloaded, and the handling will have suffered as a consequence. I suggest that you keep the mass down.

For what it's worth, part of the logic in choosing our current vehicle was to improve comfort and power, compared with previously owned vehicles. We have a Montero - as capable as an 80 in taking us where we want to go, although I suspect that in extremis the 80 would be more capable (as would a Patrol), and half the price of the equivalent Toyota (in 2016).

roving1

I saw that and he has very specific priorities based on a traumatic experience. But an 80 series is still a lot safer then riding a motorcycle or driving a modern vehicle when you are fiddling with your phone.

A better solution would be to buy a modern cheap crap can for daily driving and keep the 80 for trips.

I drive 20 year old rigs every day. I have made my peace with their relative safety and mitigate that with behavior as much as possible.

SoyBoy

My experience includes a couple of years owning and driving an 80 in Southern and Eastern Africa and lots of time in 100s in North Africa and South West Asia (as well as lots of other vehicles in many places). I don't think that I could say that either was better than the other, so I think you should go for other factors in your decision.

One key point - the handling of any vehicle is affected to a great extent by how much it's loaded. I've seen lots of vehicles which have been overloaded, and the handling will have suffered as a consequence. I suggest that you keep the mass down.

For what it's worth, part of the logic in choosing our current vehicle was to improve comfort and power, compared with previously owned vehicles. We have a Montero - as capable as an 80 in taking us where we want to go, although I suspect that in extremis the 80 would be more capable (as would a Patrol), and half the price of the equivalent Toyota (in 2016).

Thanks for the reply AlanY - Just wanted to get a real-world input on the differences. You have answered just that.
Todd - Nope not going to buy an 80 and a 100 to drive the f out of them to get a good sense of how they do. Not when AlanY has answered my inquiry so well without any cost.
Britt - Ya that is what I'm doing here is getting a feel of what folks have said and have made a decision from all the input.

BTW - Just today I have put a down payment on a '91 JDM RHD manual diesel 3 lock LC.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Todd - Nope not going to buy an 80 and a 100 to drive the f out of them to get a good sense of how they do. Not when AlanY has answered my inquiry so well without any cost.
When I said drive them, I meant just test drive them. Not buy one of each.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Britt - Ya that is what I'm doing here is getting a feel of what folks have said and have made a decision from all the input.

Ya.....that was the point. Now that you've selected the vehicle, test it to truly understand it's and your's capabilities and limitations during emergency maneuvers......learn/train.....says 30 years of EVOC/TVOC

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94