Scout Olympic vs Kenai

Porkchopexpress

...We just ordered the Kenai...

... The bed is only 72in long tho and I'm 6'4" so that's out...plus again I can't sleep 4 of us...

Thanks for posting. This thread has the most information I could find on the Kenai Scout. I am also 6'4" which is very limiting when looking at smaller RVs. Did you test out the bed to see how you fit? Also, it looks like when the bed is extended to queen size, it blocks the Dometic cooler lid? Seems like adding a few inches to the nose of the camper would have been more practical?

SigSanDiego

I’m 6’4” so vans (Revel, Storyteller) we’re out. Not being able to see a Scout in person was a negative for Scout.

We are 50 minutes to FWC factory. So proximity to sales and support PLUS King Bed, resale, etc., made us go FWC.

svinyard

Hey man. I got into a Scout Olympic and the bed length worked fine, I wasn't smashed in there...I just had to ensure the pillow wasn't unnecessarily scooched down too far. I'm 6'4" as well. The guy who owned it was similar height and said he slept well. The Roof top tent area is pretty big. I think the mattress is close to 90" long. They were a family of 5 and REALLY liked it.

Regarding the overhang...yeah it might block one of the fridge lids a bit. Hard to say without messing with it. Extra inch or two on the nose sounds nice too. I would pass (we are) on the Dometic fridge and just get a National Luna 72L instead. The NL fridge is a bit taller than the Dometic (20.5in instead of 18.5 iirc) but is a bit narrower. FYI engineering guy at Scout confirmed the bottom of the bed rail is 23" down to the fridge deck, so the NL fridge fits vertically. That Dometic might have some issues and while the recall on them likely wouldn't effect me, the fact that a common design was screwed up and burnt up a guys camper, simply points to potential QC issues for other things. The NL will be bulletproof and the stainless steel aesthetic will likely match the Newport heater too...National Luna shipment from South Africa is arriving in mid-Dec if you want to pick one up from Equipt. I'm passing on the Dometic stove as well and getting a Partner Steel stove instead. That Dometic stove is fine but nothing special and Partner Steel is fairly legendary for a camp stove. If you aren't wanting to cook inside, a Skottle pretty awesome.

Not a perfect camper but if you need to sleep 4 people comfortably...I haven't found anything that comes close to it that would have legit 4x4 and isn't super expensive/heavy/huge etc. We'll see how it goes once we get one but the people I know that have had theirs for 6mo have loved it. Only issues were the water can leaked in that upside down position so Scout adjusted that for them with different mount bracket. The Awning poles were too short for their lifted truck but they could just mount them to the camper itself (cool). I believe they had an issue with a jack mount and Scout fixed something there and sent them the update as well. The owner was impressed with the support he was getting for sure.

Thanks for posting. This thread has the most information I could find on the Kenai Scout. I am also 6'4" which is very limiting when looking at smaller RVs. Did you test out the bed to see how you fit? Also, it looks like when the bed is extended to queen size, it blocks the Dometic cooler lid? Seems like adding a few inches to the nose of the camper would have been more practical?

Porkchopexpress

Thank you for the responses to my queen bed question. The nice thing about several of the options is they can be purchased after the fact for about the same price with no need for installation. I'm on the fence with the roof top tent as it will probably just be me and my dog most of the time. Is there a moonroof if you don't get the tent? Maybe still use the roof as a sun deck or something?
Seems like the primary advantage of the Dometic fridge is it's efficiency to use very little electricity while maintaining cold temp. Do you know how the NL fridge compares?

svinyard

The National Luna fridge is the Gucci fridge option. Better in nearly every way from what I can tell. They are the crown gem of these fridges and equally efficient etc. I'm getting the 72L Legacy fridge. ARB/Engel/NL are apparently the bulletproof fridges out there.

I think there is a moon roof of sorts if you don't get the RTT. It'll also drop some weight too which is never a bad thing. The RTT does give you a cool upper sleeping area and doubles as a huge storage box (think rocketbox) if you simply remove the mattress/liner. If its just two of you, you might also look into the Cirrus 620 that's coming out soon. Its different than a Scout but is still built without wood and has a pretty cool interior and some more traditional features.

Thank you for the responses to my queen bed question. The nice thing about several of the options is they can be purchased after the fact for about the same price with no need for installation. I'm on the fence with the roof top tent as it will probably just be me and my dog most of the time. Is there a moonroof if you don't get the tent? Maybe still use the roof as a sun deck or something?
Seems like the primary advantage of the Dometic fridge is it's efficiency to use very little electricity while maintaining cold temp. Do you know how the NL fridge compares?

Porkchopexpress

The National Luna fridge is the Gucci fridge option. Better in nearly every way from what I can tell. They are the crown gem of these fridges and equally efficient etc. I'm getting the 72L Legacy fridge. ARB/Engel/NL are apparently the bulletproof fridges out there.

I think there is a moon roof of sorts if you don't get the RTT. It'll also drop some weight too which is never a bad thing. The RTT does give you a cool upper sleeping area and doubles as a huge storage box (think rocketbox) if you simply remove the mattress/liner. If its just two of you, you might also look into the Cirrus 620 that's coming out soon. Its different than a Scout but is still built without wood and has a pretty cool interior and some more traditional features.
Traditional stick camper construction doesn't interest me because I would like to only buy once. I like Northern lite but the light weight of Scout and taller interior are big advantages for me. The modularity and ease of making modifications to a scout are also big advantages. A lot of components can be easily replaced when they wear out.

Mania

If its just two of you, you might also look into the Cirrus 620 that's coming out soon. Its different than a Scout but is still built without wood and has a pretty cool interior and some more traditional features.

I am waiting for the cirrus 620 before deciding on it or the Kenai. the Scout is incredible but prefer a north/south bed and some kind of enclosure for the toilet. Also I need to upgrade my truck to 3/4 ton. 1/2 ton won't be ideal no matter what marketing says.

Mania

The only place I've found what seems to be a Cirrus 620 is here:
I am pretty sure you can't buy one yet they are still working out the kinks. Would love to see some specs or a floorplan, that link doesn't work for me. Maybe it was a prototype or mislabled?

Last edited:

svinyard

Ha, apparently that 620 is close. Those were real pics but I'm guessing not authorized for "release" yet and were taken down.

This is Googles Leftover image from their cache. The Weight was listed out as 1480lbs. The bed was a north south queen size I think. Had Automatic jacks. Little seating area, flat top glass stove and a sink. There was a little sitting shelf. Bathroom looked almost open and not contained. Hard to say tho, the pics were pretty sparse. The interior pics weren't impressive looking, but the bed setup looked comfy but hungover into the main area, but again the pics were so limited. It didn't remind me of the very cool 720 model with the neat cabinets etc but maybe its there but just not seeing it...however with the light weight goal, I'm guessing maybe some of that stuff had to go. Main windows were small but the cabover windows and moonroof seemed nice! They seemed to barrow Scouts tiedown system. If you are going for a 3/4 ton, you might just go for a full 1-ton non-dually. Payload goes quick and even with a 1650lb camper, you can load it up pretty quick with 4 adults, bikes, water, gear. The 1 ton will come with heavy duty axles, brakes etc. to handle a heavier load. Unfortunately my 2005 F250 gasser only has a 2400lb real life payload.
Cirrus620.jpg

Porkchopexpress

Question for anyone who has seen a Kenai in person or has first hand knowledge about the dinette. It seems like the right side backrest fits under a shelf almost flush with the edge. Does the shelf press against your back when the cushion compresses? It seems like an odd design but I think you would have to see it in person and sit on it to know if it is comfortable.

svinyard

They haven't been produced yet. Their prototype is being built/used and then production models (assuming things go well enough) will rollout at the end of December. I sat in the Olympic with the same cushion and shelf, it was good. The Yoho has a similar dinette design and those models are out now I think. You could find a dealer with one and go check it out.

Question for anyone who has seen a Kenai in person or has first hand knowledge about the dinette. It seems like the right side backrest fits under a shelf almost flush with the edge. Does the shelf press against your back when the cushion compresses? It seems like an odd design but I think you would have to see it in person and sit on it to know if it is comfortable.

PNWExpo

E988FF4A-17FD-431D-95A1-5795E51DCE41.jpeg

Attachments

• 9314AECE-E9AD-4F78-9F2F-155F887128D5.jpeg
    9314AECE-E9AD-4F78-9F2F-155F887128D5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
  • B76D350B-316D-4A2B-A71D-F846D41790A1.jpeg
    B76D350B-316D-4A2B-A71D-F846D41790A1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
  • 2AD64A14-12A2-415C-B556-4E241F23CDF4.jpeg
    2AD64A14-12A2-415C-B556-4E241F23CDF4.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 71