1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ Deset explorer/offroader

elpoffroad

Adventurer
My Grand has been the same outlet for my family. Even just jumping into it in the evening and hitting dirt roads until the sun goes down with my wife is so much fun in this Jeep. I plan on keeping it for a long time and I hope I can keep adding fun stuff along the way.

I too want a Kratos. It looks like the most ideal spare solution. Lightweight, strong, out of the way but not on the roof messing with the handling. I sure like their winch bumper too. Very sleek.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I really liked the HK front bumper but found out to late about them before I purchased the Rough Country winch mount. I cant complain the winch mount has been through a lot in the WJ. We have used it as an anchor point for an offroad competition, as a recovery source for mainly other people and as an assistant to load and unload vehicles off trailer.
I have had this WJ now for 3 years going on 4 years and man the modification wont stop any time soon.

maxfederle89

I really liked the HK front bumper but found out to late about them before I purchased the Rough Country winch mount. I cant complain the winch mount has been through a lot in the WJ. We have used it as an anchor point for an offroad competition, as a recovery source for mainly other people and as an assistant to load and unload vehicles off trailer.
I have had this WJ now for 3 years going on 4 years and man the modification wont stop any time soon.
I think a winch is absolutely one of those 101 use tools. You'll wonder why you never had one a lot sooner. Well, you won't but someday I will haha. I'd really like to get the HK bumper or the Trail Forged. Then I think I'll probably give the Harbor Freight Badlands 12k a shot when it goes on sale and get the extended warranty. I figure the first time it saves me, it'll be worth it.

elpoffroad

Adventurer
I think a winch is absolutely one of those 101 use tools. You'll wonder why you never had one a lot sooner. Well, you won't but someday I will haha. I'd really like to get the HK bumper or the Trail Forged. Then I think I'll probably give the Harbor Freight Badlands 12k a shot when it goes on sale and get the extended warranty. I figure the first time it saves me, it'll be worth it.

I have had to recover the WJ out once with it. I will say they are definitely worth it. I want to mountthe 12k badlands winch on my excursion.

elpoffroad

Adventurer
Mine is a 6.8 v10. I love that SUV as an overland vehicle, plenty of space and great drivability on and offroad. I have been looking at doing a rear locker to help me go even further.

elpoffroad

Adventurer
Man on man been a bit since I been on. First must say a lot of adventures have happened since last time. From exploring Utah and Moab to doing part of the Enchanted Rockies trail. It has been a blast!!! I must say that exploring local is still one of my favorite activities and went to check out Kilbourne Hole in New Mexico. Check out some pics.
wj 2.jpg
Got together with my Step Dad and Step Brother. Beautiful day!!!
wj6.jpgwj4.jpg
wj1.jpg
Had an awesome breakfast out there !!!
wjbf.jpg
After full bellies we decided to trail for a bit and enjoy the scenery.
wj5.jpg
wj3.jpg
We did end up with a little bit of carnage.
We broke the front rezeppa driveshaft so I'm currently in the process of purchasing the U joint conversion for the WJ.

jpat30

Adventurer
Looks like a fun trip indeed. I am kinda of surprised you havent already grenaded the front rezeppa. They are not long for the world when you start adding lift and actually using the WJ offroad. I toasted mine shorlty after lifting the jeep and went with an IRO replacement. Money well spent. People will tell you to save your money and buy a used shaft out of a V8 WJ, but if youre like me, the salvage yards around me didnt have many WJs and what they did have were usually Laredo models with the same shaft. Anyway, good luck to you and keep on keeping on(y)

elpoffroad

Adventurer
Looks like a fun trip indeed. I am kinda of surprised you havent already grenaded the front rezeppa. They are not long for the world when you start adding lift and actually using the WJ offroad. I toasted mine shorlty after lifting the jeep and went with an IRO replacement. Money well spent. People will tell you to save your money and buy a used shaft out of a V8 WJ, but if youre like me, the salvage yards around me didnt have many WJs and what they did have were usually Laredo models with the same shaft. Anyway, good luck to you and keep on keeping on(y)
It finally did grenade the rezeppa front shaft. I will be ordering the IRO drive shaft to replace it this month. We ended up having a water pump go south on us also so we replaced all the coolant parts while we were at it. Hoses, thermostat housing , thermostat, water pump ,clutch fan and for extra insurance new serpentine belt. Radiator got flushed since its been less than 3 years since we got it and installed it new. This Jeep has been amazing to us and have no plans of getting rid of it...just keep making it better.

nick_n_ii

I know ben a bit since you updated.
Whats your rear bump stops setup like? So you don't eat your rear quarters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles