I need to stop buying stupid Toyota's an 1995 FZJ80 Build Saga........

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Finally got the front end reassembled. It wasn't too bad once everything was cleaned up. The pressure washer made quick work of the messy components

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Maybe a R2.8 Cummins or 5.9 Cummins 24 valve. And an auxiliary fuel tank. The fuel mileage is atrocious on it. I did get 14 mpg though going 100 miles at 75 mph. But I deleted the cats. LOL. Not too bad considering its on stock gearing and 35x12.5x17 Toyo MTs. The combo almost seems perfect.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
How to build yourself a cheap cargo barrier for your Wagon / SUV overlanding platform. Keep the cargo in the back and not in your back.

nickw

Adventurer
Maybe a R2.8 Cummins or 5.9 Cummins 24 valve. And an auxiliary fuel tank. The fuel mileage is atrocious on it. I did get 14 mpg though going 100 miles at 75 mph. But I deleted the cats. LOL. Not too bad considering its on stock gearing and 35x12.5x17 Toyo MTs. The combo almost seems perfect.
Cool project....lots of 5.9 swaps back in the day, fair about the 4bt's too, saw lots for sale a few years after they were done too. I think its WAY to much engine for that platform, power wise and particularly weight wise. I think the R2.8 is about right for the platform and generally aligns with Toyota factory offerings weight and power wise, IMO.

T-Willy

Yeah, the 2.8 is pretty attractive for the 80 except for the cost of the swap. For those of us without the skills to DIY, that's a $20K proposition--worth considering if facing a blown engine (vs. cost of new truck) but hard to stomach otherwise. The mileage of the 2.8 probably precludes the need for an aux tank -- with the stock tank the 2.8 buys you probably ~500 miles of range.

Great videos, super informative. Thanks for posting 'em up.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Escalante is one of my new favorite places to go. Its remote, harder to get to, and not a lot of people down there. We did some exploring down there a few weeks back in the land cruiser. We were doing some exploring looking for places to do some camping and other activities in the area. Lots of cool things to see. We found this road on our topo maps and decided to take a gander.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
We got a new bumper for the Toyota Land Cruiser. And its pretty DARN cool. Check it out. We have and will continue to ruin the purity of this Land Cruiser.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Some payoff pictures. I’m running behind on updating the build. But all the leaks are fixed. What a pain in the ********.

plus a new aluminum radiator.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Finally got to go take it out for a bit of a shakedown run. This area is called Little Moab, its outside of Lehi Utah. Its a pretty cool place to go play around. Lots of different lines to see how well you vehicle does. The cruiser did pretty well. I need to remove the Viscous Coupling next and do some exhaust work so it doesn't sound like a broken vacuum cleaner.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I got a DIY bumper kit a few weeks ago and put it all together on the cruiser. This one is from Coastal Off-Road. I opted for the swing outs on it as well.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Is an $85 eBay snorkel any good. Will it come with all the parts and pieces to install it? How hard can it be? We buy one and try it out!

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Dam 14 miles at 75 mph on 35’s that’s incredible...I only average 12.5 fully loaded...

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Last weekend I was able to knock out fixing up the body work and finally got the Land Bruiser looking respectable. I mean it is a Toyota, so as good as it can be. LOL. At least it doesn't look like it just returned from war anymore.

Where you got your new turn signal lights?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles